LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Kooks, LT1 GUYS INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks, LT1 GUYS INSIDE

Hello All

I'm getting ready to buy my header setup and have been doing some reading! I did a search and didnt come up with anything. I was over reading the message board at Kooks and a guy there posted about the oil filter not clearing the hearders and having to install a relocation kit for the filter. (OLD POST) Does anyone out there run the Kooks

Item ID 6400-1S
Tube 1 3/4" X 1 7/8"
Coll 3"
*AIR FITTINGS & EGR WITH VENTURI COLLECTORS??????

Getting ready to buy but need a bit more info from a few that are running the headers!

Thanks
Ross
Old 02-23-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have those headers on my car, the race versions, which shouldn't make a difference, I use a standard oil filter, no need to relocate the filter, you just can't run a long oil filter. hth
Old 02-23-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine just barely clears with the short filter. bit of a pain since all the oil drains on the collector when you change it. awesome headers though. wouldnt change them for anything.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running those headers..stepped 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 with the AIR fittings and run the AC PF454 oil filter..I believe its the stock LT1 oil filter and it has good clearance all the way around...Also the Kooks LT1 headers with the provisions for AIR are designed to use the stock 96-97 AIR fittings...I see by your sig that you have a 96 so your stock stuff will work...I also had to grind a wee bit off of a steering shaft bolt (you'll see what I'm talking about...I think this is because of the 1 7/8 tubes...) They are fantastic headers for fitment and clearance and I picked up 1.5 mph with them over a set of very good shorties...You'll be happy...

--Alan
Old 02-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a stock oil cooler, you have to remove that because it places the oil filter down too far. After that, however, the oil filter fits fine.

If you are going to buy the 3 inch outlet y-pipe (http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/ca...1%20Y%20Pipes), I have both catted and non-catted Kooks y-pipes that I am trying to sell for considerably less than new from Kooks. Look in the for sale forum for my ad.

FYI, If you need a 4 inch outlet, Kooks makes them but they don't list them on their website. They are about $100 more than the 3 inch outlet version.

You will love these headers.

Last edited by David94TA; 02-23-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:53 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I posted the following in 4/06:

"The Kooks L/S header collector will not allow you to install an oil filter if you have the optional factory oil cooler. It looks like without the cooler adapter in place, you'll be able to get a standard filter to fit.

-The Kooks dual cat Y pipe comes quite close to fuel & brake lines in two places. My quick fix was to wrap the lines with some heat insulating cloth left over from wrapping the EGR tube.

I am in no way faulting Kooks. I've done some research and found that most F bodies don't have the oil cooler. As for the lines, well the Y pipe is pretty big and it snakes under the body where no exhaust pipe was designed to go.

The Kooks stuff is beautiful and was a perfect, spot on fit. I'm certain it'll perform as advertised and would certainly use it again and highly recommend them.

As for the "oil cooler." Nowhere on this site or others is there much information. I had disassembled my under hood plumbing outside at the start of winter and am now completing the job indoors. I was totally confused as to why one oil cooler line went to the water pump. Exhaustive research reveals that coolant, not oil, flows through these lines. This coolant cools the oil filter mounting base. Much detailed information was found on the WS6.com website.

I for one do not like this.

I'm removing this silly-assed system, installing a proper oil filter relocation kit, a real cooler at the radiator and a remote filter, probably in the area that the A.I.R pump stuff used to be."

And then:

"To get around the oil filter/cooler adapter/header issues, I used a Canton billet remote oil filter adapter 22-592 and their billet remote spin on filter mount, 22-620. I installed the filter mount spaced over the ABS bracket so the filter hangs just behind the sway bar. Looks pretty cool too! There’s an Earl’s oil cooler pancaked on the AC condenser. #10 AN lines plumb the oil where it needs to be."

I hope this helps you.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

you wont have to becuase you have a 6 speed if you had a automatic you would have to.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

BIG THANKS GUYS!

Just what I needed to hear!!! Everyone I have ever talked to that run Kooks have nothing but good things to say!

This just makes it that much easyer!
Thanks
Ross

Quick Reply: Kooks, LT1 GUYS INSIDE