LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

my C5 wheels wont fit ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my C5 wheels wont fit ?

i have some c5 wagon wheel for the ol z28 and they wont fit, so do i need to grind the inside of the wheel down or the lip on the hub or whatever?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

WHY WON'T MY NEW WHEELS FIT OVER THE REAR HUBS ON MY 4TH GEN?

The 1993 to "late" 1996 4th Gen F-Bodies have a larger hub on the rear axle than on the front spindles. The rear axle hubs are about 0.03" larger in diameter than the front hubs. This problem was corrected in late 1996 model year or possibly in early 1997.

As a result, if you buy C4 or C5 wheels, or if you buy 1997 or newer F-Body wheels, they may not fit on the rear hubs of your 1993-1996 F-Body.

The solution is very simple. First, DO NOT FORCE THEM ON WITH THE LUGS! Very dangerous, and you may not be able to get them off. You need to lightly sand or grind (e.g. - Dremel) the inside diameter of the hub hole in the back of the wheel. Don't go nuts.... just remove enough metal so the wheel cleanly fits over the rear hubs, with no interference.

Think about doing this to all 4 wheels, so you can "rotate" the tires in the future.

This will not harm the wheels.... you are taking off the thickness of a sheet of paper. Just be sure you do a neat, smooth job. This will also NOT affect the centering of the wheels on the hubs. The 4th Gen wheels are "lug-centric" - they are centered by the conical lugs, not by the hubs.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by always faster
WHY WON'T MY NEW WHEELS FIT OVER THE REAR HUBS ON MY 4TH GEN?

The 1993 to "late" 1996 4th Gen F-Bodies have a larger hub on the rear axle than on the front spindles. The rear axle hubs are about 0.03" larger in diameter than the front hubs. This problem was corrected in late 1996 model year or possibly in early 1997.

As a result, if you buy C4 or C5 wheels, or if you buy 1997 or newer F-Body wheels, they may not fit on the rear hubs of your 1993-1996 F-Body.

The solution is very simple. First, DO NOT FORCE THEM ON WITH THE LUGS! Very dangerous, and you may not be able to get them off. You need to lightly sand or grind (e.g. - Dremel) the inside diameter of the hub hole in the back of the wheel. Don't go nuts.... just remove enough metal so the wheel cleanly fits over the rear hubs, with no interference.

Think about doing this to all 4 wheels, so you can "rotate" the tires in the future.

This will not harm the wheels.... you are taking off the thickness of a sheet of paper. Just be sure you do a neat, smooth job. This will also NOT affect the centering of the wheels on the hubs. The 4th Gen wheels are "lug-centric" - they are centered by the conical lugs, not by the hubs.
thanks for the info..
Old 05-27-2021, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy f!#k! I’m not happy. So I just got a set of Z06 18x9.5s and got a call from Discount tire about this issue. WTF GM?

The wheels look amazing, on the front.

Since my 96 SS has 183k miles I’m wondering if I should just grind the wheels or get new axles. Will 98-02 axles fit the 10 bolt Torsen rear on my 96?

Old 05-27-2021, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It's not GMs fault. Design changes from year to year are commonplace and you are installing non-stock wheels.. Just relieve the inside of the hub of the wheel like post #3 says and all will be fine. Obviously from the date of the thread, this has been known for a long time.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

I beg to differ. It is GMs fault and I’m installing GM OEM wheels. I can put modern Mustang wheels on a 65 Mustang because the hubs and bolt patterns are the same. And name 1 other car with different sized hubs front and rear...... 1.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:20 AM
TECH Veteran

You are installing non-stock wheels for the car. They weren't made to fit it. Just because they are GM wheels is no guarantee they fit everything. Who really cares about hub size when it is not used to center the wheel? Your Mustang example just happens to work. It's not because Ford made sure it would. Most modern wheels won't fit on older cars because the offset/spacing is way different and the wheel would contact the suspension.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

@shbox, I really like your website, but I still am not going to agree with you on this issue. It’s stupid. If it wasn’t stupid, GM wouldn’t have bothered to fix on later 4th gens like they did. Also, you still can’t name any other car with different hub sizes front and rear. Show me another example.

Yes the lugs carry the load okay, but it’s still far better to have a hub if for nothing else, perfect centering.

I’ve worked as an automotive design engineer and this is a mistake. My guess is someone didn’t properly QA a huge order of axles and said ehhh. GM used a 70.3mm hub long before this car was made and still does.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

I guess you can call up GM and ask for clarification. All I know is people have been using the suggested work-around for many years. I did it when I put SS rims on my car. It wasn't a big deal to me.

The following users liked this post:
AnthonyS (05-29-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Just dremel them lightly, it won't take long. The spec for wheel roundness is generally 30 thousandths. Drifting a few thousandths from the center axis isn't the end of the world.
The following users liked this post:
AnthonyS (05-29-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 11:45 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Just dremel them lightly, it won't take long. The spec for wheel roundness is generally 30 thousandths. Drifting a few thousandths from the center axis isn't the end of the world.
Doesn’t matter how much is taken out from the center of the wheel to accommodate the hub. The hubs on these cars are lug-centric.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

I did some measuring and it was about 0.006" (0.012" diameter) that needed to be removed from the diameter of the wheel hub. It sucks, but a dremel with a sanding drum did it pretty quick. One drum per wheel and they are on. The hub is think enough to do it with a spacer would require something about 1/2" thick which would push these wheels out too far. New axles would be about $300 to do US made axles new seals and bearings etc. Since the bearings seemed okay still the sanding drum won out.

Quick Reply: my C5 wheels wont fit ?