LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

WEIRD LT1 Problem, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WEIRD LT1 Problem, please help.

I bought an LT1 off of ebay from Florida and was told it was a 96 with with 44K, a week after I got and wanted to put it on my 94 Zee found a sticker on it under the word "SOLD" saying : 1995 LT1 58K. So, from a 96 now and I'm down to 95 and don't know what's going on. Later on and the very hard way found out the engine is indeed a 1993.
To make the sotry short, I know I got screwed but don't have time to f**** around returning it, I want my zee running so I installed it on my 94 and used the fuel lines that were on my car which are a little longer than 93.
Anyhow, the engine started ONCE and started back firing on me like CRAZY, think an orange county chopper fired up a second ago after it sat in the shop all winter, that's how bad it sounded. So, it starts and then as soon as you lift your foot off the pedal it shots off and don't start again until the next day. Checked the wires made sure they are hooked right with the plugs, checked oil, later on found out the AC compressor pully isn't turning so I thought it almost broke my S belt and though ohhhhhhhhh that's what it is, so I replaced the damn thing and fired it up, THE SAME THING, starts once back firing like hell and then it doesn't start if you shot it off.
Then, I started it and took 3 injectors off of the fuel rail, and guess what, it ran the exact same thing, nothing was different, didn't try to take more injectors off.
Later on, I took the T56 that was hooked to it and bought them as a package, when I took the T56 off and got to the clutch, guess what, I found a BRND NEW clutch set setting there never ever driven, so that gave me another clue of something going on with this setup. Later on, I take the flywheel bolts off and from EACH BOLT HOLE WWWAAATTTEEERRR came out, just a little bit of water from the bolt thread. Drained the tranny and some kind of rusted water I would say came out. this whole setup is bad I'm thinking, what do you guys think is up here.
As far as the engine, what do you think could cause it to do this, sounds like 3-4 or more cylinders aren't even moving. Do you think it was flooded? Distributor? What else should I check.
If you think I got screwed don't feel bad to tell me so ;-), I thought to share the story with you guys and see what others think about it.
Oh, one more thing, isn't the input shaft on the tranny (The part where the driveshaft hooks to) suppose to turn when you engage it in gear? Well, you put the T56 in gear and you left you foot of the clutch and it turns which is normal, but listen to this: You put the T56 in NEUTRAL and left your foot off the clutch and IT TURNS as if it was in gear, what up?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

talk to ur lawyer
Old 03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Hehehehe, that was a perfect response dude
Old 03-12-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

and when you take it back park it in his ***
Old 03-12-2007, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

I will man, but you still need to tell me what you think happened here , was it flooded? Think SOUTH, KATRINA? YA KNOW ? What the hell happened here?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

well for one, 93 LT1's are speed density, not MAF. i dont know if youve got that sorted out yet tho. and it sounds like a posibility of it being submerged in water, i dont know how else the flywheel bolts would have water in them. if so, i dont even know if it would be worth salvaging. see if you can get your money back or worse case take it as a loss. ): scrap steel is worth 5.2 cents a pound and aluminum is goin for 55 cents lol
Old 03-12-2007, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

could the T56 being damaged as well? What damage could the water do to a T56?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

did you put your 94 intake on it? i bought a 94 motor for my 93 bird and i had to change the intake the fuel lines were ran different or something cant remember exactly what was different. did you change the oil ? was there water in it or did it look like it was just change?if it was in water as long as they didnt try to start it there should be nothing from making it start if it was turned over it could have bent rods
Old 03-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mybluez28echoes
could the T56 being damaged as well? What damage could the water do to a T56?
rust all the gears up and sieze up shafts and shift forks not a pretty site i have one in the basement that was full of water
Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

I will man, but you still need to tell me what you think happened here , was it flooded? Think SOUTH, KATRINA? YA KNOW ? What the hell happened here?
Katrina didn't go through FL to really cause any significant flooding. That however doesn't mean that the car didn't get flooded.

If there is water pouring out of the transmission, I'm going to vote you might want to pull the distributor off and look into putting a new one on there. Sounds like some serious ignition issues --

At this point I'd say don't touch it. Contact the seller, have a lawyer shoot a letter off to him and that should clear stuff up a little bit.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

I did not change the intake, I used the 94 fuel lines and kinda "Bent" them to hook to the front of the intake but I'm sure they are fine an no damage was done to them. As far as water I just saw two things : when I drained the tranny, some type of rust mixed with water came out of it, NOT red fluid, and the other thing is the flywheel bolts, when I took them off, a little bit of rusted water came out of it, I really don't know if flooding was the case. By the way, I just spoke with the guy and he told me that the engine came from ALABAMA, but his business is in florida, he's welling to give me the money back but now he turned the game into this: "How do I know you didn't do something wrong to it"? that's what he told me, I most likely will take it as a loss but I still need your help guys, what do you think?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Serious ignotion issue? That's what I thought also, LT1s are known with that problem. I'll replace it and see what up, I have had a bad opti before, it was never that bad to back fire like crazy, I took few different injectors off of it while it was running (Had someone set in the car to keep it running of course) and it kept tunning the same? could ALL injectors be bad? Will the engine even run with 4 injectors off of it? Could a bad opti do all this ****?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

Serious ignotion issue? That's what I thought also, LT1s are known with that problem. I'll replace it and see what up, I have had a bad opti before, it was never that bad to back fire like crazy, I took few different injectors off of it while it was running (Had someone set in the car to keep it running of course) and it kept tunning the same? could ALL injectors be bad? Will the engine even run with 4 injectors off of it? Could a bad opti do all this ****?
To be honest -- the entire car sounds like a clusterfvck to me. If you've got water coming out of the tranny, and the car running the same with or without injectors. A 93 motor, no idea what the tranny went through, and no idea why allegedly it is in a "96 car." The seller admitted it came from Alabama, unless you want to start completely from the ground up with that thing, I really don't think I'd bother.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

yeah, thank you for the advice though, I think I got screwed, damn it

Quick Reply: WEIRD LT1 Problem, please help.