LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

[Copied from LT1 Edit mailing list] Ignition boxes and effects on opti

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Copied from LT1 Edit mailing list] Ignition boxes and effects on opti

This is not my info, btw.

Well i found interesting damage in my optispark trying to figure out my 5k to 6k miss that everyone seems to have. I have read that MSD Ignition boxes are NOT good on our optispark, and now i may have found why. In tearing apart the opti, IE cap & rotor, i found that the rotor had a bad coating of something that looks like it could have been copper that got really hot and started flaking off. The rotor had pits, and pieces of the tip where its curved, missing. Also on the Cap i found that the little tips that stick out, also showed signs of extreme heat, and actually flaked off, leaving a badly pitted pole. Once i cleaned the rotor and cap just to see how bad they were, the gap has increased by atleast .20 between the cap/rotor. That cant be good. I didnt have any heat warpage on the cap, and inside showed no signs of crossfire or any other corrosion or calcium. BUT i did find once i took the rotor off, and opened up the electrical components, rust had taken to the sheetmetal cover of the optical eye, but not the spinning rotor that the eye reads from, it was free from rust. I blew it all out with air, and sealed it back up until my MSD cap/rotor shows up and i can put it back together and check to see if my miss is back or not.

I also found my hooker longtubes melted my abs wire on the passenger side, along with almost getting my O2 wire. I'll be fixing those. I have all msd ignition, MSD Coil, 6 AL Box, MSD Wires, with 4 step cooler NGK plugs #7198 or R5724-9 Im 12.0:1 compression on a 200 shot. They say 1 step per point of compression, plus 1 step per 100 shot. I'll check the plugs to see how the temp is once i get my cap and rotor. I wonder if its the ignition box or the MSD coil. But the opti doesnt like something in that package. Its obviously to hot of a spark. I have seen usual calcium buildup in caps where you can sand it off, but i have never seen where it had gotten so hot, it just flaked off. Someone else?

This was a fairly new opti. 20k on it maybe.

Dustin
94 Z - 383 on Juice... LESRUNM
Hopefully running good soon
Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

on my stock 95 i put the 6al on with 75000 mi and ran it with no issues till 107k when someone ran a stop sign and totalled me...got 3 mpg better on the highway....have the coil and the 6al on car in sig(coil for 5k mi 6al for about 2k) and same 3 mpg increase...get 28 on the highway with car in sig
Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a mallory box on my opti for about 5000 miles and when I took it apart it showed signs of acring on the cap. I replaced it with an MSD cap/rotor.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Personally I am not sure what to do. I have/had a Delteq I am not using but it didn't have a timing retard for it. So I am using stock ignition with MSD Blaster coil. Tried to get a box a while back but got fucked on it and now I don't have the dough. Debating on putting the Delteq back on. I sprayed a 175 shot on it with one heat range colder plugs and full timing with no problems. I'm running 2 ranges colder now, standalone fuel, so thinking about it.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

I know many a people running ignition boxes with their optis. Heck my friend has been unning a 6AL box on his car for at least 3yrs before he went to the Digital 6 and the 383. He's never had an opti related problem. Maybe that guys issues stem from the fact he's running an unvented opti?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't know. I ran Digital 6 for a long time before going with Delteq. Just kinda wonder what's going on in that cap and rotor.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

I would quit using the opti and go with Edis8

Someone here is using it on a s10,i don´t remember who
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Is this what you are talking about? http://brian-esser.com/?page_id=24 Looks neat. Never seen that before.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ari G
I would quit using the opti and go with Edis8

Someone here is using it on a s10,i don´t remember who

but as he mentioned this is no plug and play unit. If he were to make them to make them more plug and play, would be a nice unit. But then again there are still people running 9s on an optispark. GO Figure.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Veteran

I've still got my Delteq. I was debating on putting it back on. But then I thought I'd just run optispark with MSD ignition til it burn up and then get an MSD opti (or cap and rotor).
Old 06-22-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by buffman
but as he mentioned this is no plug and play unit. If he were to make them to make them more plug and play, would be a nice unit. But then again there are still people running 9s on an optispark. GO Figure.
Yes,but it sure would be nice to have a ignition that isin´t rpm limited and prone to failure,it´s not fun to change a opti after a few passes when the rotor blows up

It´s not really that hard to do,just takes time
Old 06-22-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

But even with his system the opti still has to provide the high and low res signals in order to use the stock PCM.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:38 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran the original non-vented opti 10 yrs w/ an 300+ Accel and not a single problem. Switched to Delteq for 4 yrs w/ no problems either but just recently went back to a HI-6R box now. Needed an external rev limiter w/ the stand alone unit.

I guess it just depends.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run a bunch of different ignition boxes over the years (MSD Digital 6) and now the full Delteq system with MSD coils, MSD DIS 4 and GEN III Dyna-Spark (no rotor). The car has never run better !
Old 06-24-2007, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have ran a MSD 6T on my car since 98. One of the first mods I did to it. It eats a cap and rotor about every 10-14k miles. On the other hand it runs and idles better then with out it.

I have trying one of the Plug and play units and they would not work for us. Another me member tried the other one and he had the exact same issue.

I am back to an opti. Just like any Distributor style ignition you just need to stay on top of the maitenance

BTW that is not really new news on that list. We have researched it over and over there in years past
Old 06-24-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
BTW that is not really new news on that list. We have researched it over and over there in years past
Yeah, I have known about the stuff for a while. Just kinda something to talk about over here, stuff some probably haven't read before.

Quick Reply: [Copied from LT1 Edit mailing list] Ignition boxes and effects on opti