LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 bolt ons. in what order?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 bolt ons. in what order?

hey all, i mostly lurk in here, as im learning but i have a few quesitons that i need answered.

im selling my s2k in prep for buying my first house and i am looking for some cheap speed. i love Hondas and the import world, and i know that cheap speed can be done in a civic, but i want to go back to my GM roots. i grew up at a chevy dealer, and have been and always will be a BIG GM guy.

enough of the life story.

anywho, im currently shopping LT1s(mostly camaros) sorry T/A guys, but dayum are some of those cars ugly. ive read the FAQ and understand it. problem being, i dont know what to do first and in what order.

i like a 350whp power goal and a 12ish@110ish time slip to match it.

what do i need, and in what order. the CC306 cam looks like a winner, along with LTs and full exhaust ive seen two cars on youtube crank out 350whp with that and a tune.

help? teach me.

thanks,

Louie
Old 01-10-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first i'd do suspension, theres no point in making power if you cant put it down to the ground. weld in subframe connectors, lower control arms w/ relocation brackets, torque arm, and shocks would be a good start. after that it depends if you go a4 or m6. For an m6 i'd get a decent clutch like a mcleod, spec 3+, or ram but if you have an auto a shift kit and a stall but I'd wait to get your stall until you decide exactly what mods are in your motor to match up your stall. Lastly the motor you'll want cai, long tubes and a free flowing exhaust. Personally I like true duals which is the route I'm going but for 350 rwhp you'll be fine w/ a ory and catback if you don't wanna spend to much. After that I would start lookin at cams. The hotcam is a good package for someone on a budget and will make around 330 rwhp. The cc306 will put down around 350 but to see the full potential of it you'll want ported heads. Lloyd Elliot offers some good h/c packages for a decent price. His LE2 setup is around 2000 and puts down around 400 rwhp. That should get you started for now

p.s. I'm a big believer of matching things up that work together not just claims on the best this or that. Just throwing the biggest cam or the best heads will never be as efficient as a head n cam packaged made for each other
Old 01-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

scrap the cc306 and go with the cc305 esp if its a street car(from what ive read, u wont get the full potential of the cc306 til rpms u dont want to be in on the stock motor) do suspension, these cars have gone low 13s with suspension mods alone, get some LTs ory and catback, along with a cai(do these mods very first) and do some 1.6rrs, with a good tune and a cam.if its an auto get a converter. guess ill put it in order

CAI
LTs,ory,catback(at the same time)
(all this very first)
1.6 rrs
converter if its and auto, short stick if its a m6
suspension mods(k member, lcas, panhard bar, good tires blah u know the drill)
tune with cam

guess there really isnt a exact way to start lol, but these mods will get u your mid 12s at 110...
Old 01-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
first i'd do suspension, theres no point in making power if you cant put it down to the ground. weld in subframe connectors, lower control arms w/ relocation brackets, torque arm, and shocks would be a good start. after that it depends if you go a4 or m6. For an m6 i'd get a decent clutch like a mcleod, spec 3+, or ram but if you have an auto a shift kit and a stall but I'd wait to get your stall until you decide exactly what mods are in your motor to match up your stall. Lastly the motor you'll want cai, long tubes and a free flowing exhaust. Personally I like true duals which is the route I'm going but for 350 rwhp you'll be fine w/ a ory and catback if you don't wanna spend to much. After that I would start lookin at cams. The hotcam is a good package for someone on a budget and will make around 330 rwhp. The cc306 will put down around 350 but to see the full potential of it you'll want ported heads. Lloyd Elliot offers some good h/c packages for a decent price. His LE2 setup is around 2000 and puts down around 400 rwhp. That should get you started for now

p.s. I'm a big believer of matching things up that work together not just claims on the best this or that. Just throwing the biggest cam or the best heads will never be as efficient as a head n cam packaged made for each other

THANKS!! that was just the post i needed. im such a noob at this i was going nuts looking for a starting point.

i havent decided what trans im going for. but from what ive read it sound like A4 for drag, and M6 for fun around town. it will eventually come to whatever car i get the best deal on, as to which tranny ill run. ill looking into those H/C packages too. that sounds like a smarter move than a random cam and random heads.

what about the LT4 hot cam kit? what is it exactly? and is a stall really really needed? what is the factory stall set too(rpm)?

sorry for the barrage of questions!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vetteJR
what about the LT4 hot cam kit? what is it exactly? and is a stall really really needed? what is the factory stall set too(rpm)?

sorry for the barrage of questions!
The lt4 hotcam kit has the cam, springs, retainers, rockers all in a kit and its around 500 I believe. And yes you will definitely want a stall if you get an auto. It will even wake up stock cars. I believe factory is somewhere around 1800 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong I'm more of an m6 guy )

edit: here is the kit http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku
Old 01-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

do i need any kind of EMS to run a H/C package. i know the vette guys say that hand helds blow, but from what ive seen they can rock. my uncle uses one on his SVT lightnining and with mods its cranking out 5000whp very reliably.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Teching In

i think u mean 500...lol
Old 01-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dj_skidoo
i think u mean 500...lol
got a lil happy on the Zero key.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Teching In

no big deal...we all knew what u meant
Old 01-10-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vetteJR
do i need any kind of EMS to run a H/C package. i know the vette guys say that hand helds blow, but from what ive seen they can rock. my uncle uses one on his SVT lightnining and with mods its cranking out 5000whp very reliably.
you will want a tune but if you have heads n cam you should definitely not even worry about the handhelds they suck period for anything. You'll want either a dyno tune or a street tune for your ecu, nothing less or youll be cutting yourself short
Old 01-11-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

I have a LT4 hotcam in my 93 and it can make good power, my car dynoed about 373 RWHP.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

One of my customers has a bone stock LT1 sans headders, He worked on the suspension first, with mild stall, line lock and my street tune he went 13.00 flat. Later he threw in a 100 shot of laughing fog and went 12.00 flat...No mods to the motor, only the exhaust and a lot of suspension work...
Old 01-11-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

cam/gears/stall/spray you'll be blazing
Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

low 13's with just suspension??
Old 01-11-2008, 02:16 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not just suspension being installed. It takes a lot of time to dial a car in.

Just do the normal stuff CAI, Headers and a stall. see where that nets you.

Tony.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cai

TB airfoil

Catback OR a single in single out muffler on the stock catback

No cats

Headers

1.6 roller rockers

Cam,SO many to choose from, I like the Crower similar to what I had in mine WAY back Part number 00562, 221/230@.050......525/545 on a 114* LSA

COnverter, do not skimp here...this is THE biggest thing to making an auto car HAUL ***

Mail order tune

Drag radials

Unhook front swaybar

AIrbag in RR spring

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 01-11-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: LT1 bolt ons. in what order?