LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fans not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fans not turning on

Just installed Pacesetter longtubes and tune up(OTVC wires, new cap and rotor). Re installed the waterpump with a new thermostat and cap and bled the coolant system, now the fans don't kick in.

The thermostat opens, all of the relays are good, everything is plugged back in and the fans just do not turn on when warm.

The car operates fine a speeds higher than 40mph, but driving through town, the temp gauge creeps towards the 210 mark. Before I di the tune up and header instal, no issues whatsoever.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone have ideas as to why they don't turn on?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

if its not tuned im pretty sure they dont turn on till 225 stock
Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably forgot to either plug in the sensor on the water pump, broke the sensor, or broke the wire inside the insulation. You'll probably say "Yea but my gauge reads the temp", to which I'll counter with: The sensor on the driver side head is for the gauge, the sensor in the water pump is for the computer and fans.

GL
Old 04-15-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula350
You probably forgot to either plug in the sensor on the water pump, broke the sensor, or broke the wire inside the insulation. You'll probably say "Yea but my gauge reads the temp", to which I'll counter with: The sensor on the driver side head is for the gauge, the sensor in the water pump is for the computer and fans.

GL
This could be your problem... have you tried "jumping" the relay with a short wire to MAKE SURE it isnt the relay?

Definetly check the sensor on the waterpump tho..
Old 04-15-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ah yes, relay, forgot that, good call.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Okay I just had this problem, after my rebuild the fans would not turn on at all and the fuse kept blowing, I got on here and everybody kept preaching to trace the wires. So pulling out my F-body manual thats what I did but the wiring diagram in the book was not complete.

Come to find out when I put my pacesetter Long Tubes on I did not have an extension for the O/2 sensor and it shorted out well if you trace your wires you will find out from the fuse...your wiring goes all the way back to the sensors...after replacing the sensor and putting a PROPER extension on, my fuse stopped blowing and my fans kick on.

Don't know if this story will help you but you might want to trace your entire wiring to include the O/2 sensors.

Last edited by Ponch95; 04-15-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm...i can verify that...i recently had my pacesetters installed and didnt use the crappy DIY extension kit..i got actual extensions...and my fans run just as good as before!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

I suppose not going into open loop could do that, but I'd think a code would get thrown if a wire was shorting like that. It'd throw REALLY bad signals back (if any) to the PCM, which would say "why is the O2 reading 800megavolts instead of milivolts O_O".

If you want to just make sure your fans work, unplug the power to your EGR valve solenoid (driver side, between intake and valve cover, black has 2-3 vacuum hoses coming out). Turn the car on, and it SHOULD immediately pick up that sensor being unhooked and throw a code, thus popping the fans. If the fans turn on, that should rule out the relay.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

GL
Would that possibly explain that my fans kick on 40mp and faster?

I used O2 extensions on both sides. The one thing that i'm leaning towards is that the sensor on the waterpump is faulty.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hbgben
Would that possibly explain that my fans kick on 40mp and faster?
Well see, now you just neglected to tell us pertinent info... -_-

No clue what your problem is then, and how can you tell they're on over 40mph? I hear wind, radio, exhaust, or just plain road noise before my fans over 10mph.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

I can't exactly tell that they kick on at 40mph. the other day I left my house when the car was around 180, got 2 block and was stuck at a red light. At that time, the gauge was reading 200-ish and turned off the car till the light was gree. Started going 40mph and the temp gauge immediatly dropped to the mark between 160 and 210.

When the waterpump was off, I don't recall allowing the sensor rest on anything, making sure no damage to that sensor.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

1) Our cars fans don't turn on till 225 and 235F
2) Our cars run hot ANYWAYS, hence the high fan settings
3) Driving cools the radiator just by itself. LOTS of air moving even at 40mph.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I suppose not going into open loop could do that, but I'd think a code would get thrown if a wire was shorting like that. It'd throw REALLY bad signals back (if any) to the PCM, which would say "why is the O2 reading 800megavolts instead of milivolts O_O".

If you want to just make sure your fans work, unplug the power to your EGR valve solenoid (driver side, between intake and valve cover, black has 2-3 vacuum hoses coming out). Turn the car on, and it SHOULD immediately pick up that sensor being unhooked and throw a code, thus popping the fans. If the fans turn on, that should rule out the relay.

I just tried this and I never heard my fans cut on at all. What next?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

It sounds to me like you are describing the normal operation (OP). Your temp gauge can get up to 225 sitting at a light unless you have had a tune to make the fans come on earlier or you have installed a fan switch or you have the a/c on.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

I'm planning on getting it tuned and engage the fans a little sooner. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Fans not turning on