Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Smart to get a clutch now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart to get a clutch now?

I have my '02 ws6 in the shop currently to have the slave replaced, as the clutch pedal has been sticking for a while now, and none of the standard tricks have helped. While getting the slave cylinder replaced, the mechanic told me my clutch is in ok shape, a few hot spots but not horrible. What Im wondering though, is if this is a good time to simply replace the clutch. Im looking at the stage three monster with lightweight chromoly flywheel. I figure with the tranny out, and them doing the repairs now, theres no better time to put in a new clutch (save a lot in labor). At the same time, its a $750 part that im not thrilled about spending.

My car is m6 obviously, has complete header back exhaust, an slp lid and a 125 shot of nitrous. I dont take it to the track, but would like to a bit more in the future (couple times a year only though) Its my daily driver so I want it to be very drivable (which i head the monster 3s are) I would like to get a cam (228ish) and gears in the future, but the main goal is a drivable, fast street car.

Overall, is it worth it to do it now even though I could get away with the stock and save $750? Or will I regret not just doing it now because i will end up needing it soon down the road anyway?

Any help appreciated!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Launching!

I'm nice to clutches and my stock one slips on my stock car sometimes with only 50k... I have a monster 2 with LW chromoly FW I just bought in the closet waiting for some ambition on my part to put it in... Stock clutches are a little better in '02 cars I think though... I'd do it now, the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel etc together is still a good deal at that price... But I already got one so, wait and see what someone else thinks
Old 07-22-2009, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Well, they say "pay me now or pay me later". You might be saving money now, but then you end of having to yank the tranny and do it again (replace teh clutch) because we all know you end up with more power down the road, and if you upgrade now, you don't have to worry about the clutch later.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Ya it seems like now is the time to do it. My mechanic recommended a Centerforce clutch. I havent seen all too much on the forums about this brand. Anyone have these, or know about them and how they compare to the monster?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bojast
Ya it seems like now is the time to do it. My mechanic recommended a Centerforce clutch. I havent seen all too much on the forums about this brand. Anyone have these, or know about them and how they compare to the monster?
I have a Centerforce. You really can't slip it, it just grabs. Good for street/strip.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Centerforce is a good clutch in it's own right.

Of course I'll say ours is better, but, I'm a bit biased.

Give us a call and we'll get you in a clutch that fits your hp requirements and your driving style!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:40 PM
FormerVendor

In my experience it is always better to do it once (at least in terms of part installation). It just seems like a waste to install something that may or may not cover your planned mods. I suggest that you plan for the future whenever replacing a clutch. That being said let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might as well do it now while the tranny is out. Save you time and money when it actually does burn up.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Well I went ahead and ordered the stage 3 Monster. Hearing so many good things about it, plus having very active people from monster in these forums made me feel like it was the better choice. I knew I would always kind of wish I had gone monster had I not.

Despite being more expensive overall, the value is probably the same because this way I get a new chromoly flywheel and new slave, as where with centerforce I was paying less, but no flywheel or slave.

My only concern at all is the chatter, but it seems like most people report that going away after break in. I almost went 3.5 last minute, but Im confident that the break in period will reduce the chatter and I can save $100.

And now since I'll have a clutch good for 700hp I almost have to get some more mods to get my money worth out of its power

ps: derrick from Morris motorsport helped me out with the details and little questions I had. He was very helpful, made my decisions easy.

Last edited by Bojast; 07-23-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I went ahead and ordered the stage 3 Monster. Hearing so many good things about it, plus having very active people from monster in these forums made me feel like it was the better choice. I knew I would always kind of wish I had gone monster had I not.

Despite being more expensive overall, the value is probably the same because this way I get a new chromoly flywheel and new slave, as where with centerforce I was paying less, but no flywheel or slave.

My only concern at all is the chatter, but it seems like most people report that going away after break in. I almost went 3.5 last minute, but Im confident that the break in period will reduce the chatter and I can save $100.

And now since I'll have a clutch good for 700hp I almost have to get some more mods to get my money worth out of its power

ps: derrick from Morris motorsport helped me out with the details and little questions I had. He was very helpful, made my decisions easy.
Damn good choice man!

We appreciate the business and you won't be sorry you chose Monster!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:57 PM
FormerVendor

You have very good points there, and in time, you will have all the answers and confidence in knowing you made the right choice by going Monster. If at anytime you have any questions, give me a call/drop a PM/email, whichever, I am here to help!
Thanks for teh kind words!
Derrick

Quick Reply: Smart to get a clutch now?