Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Car won't shift into third @ high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car won't shift into third @ high RPM

I was running my car yesterday, and every time I tried to shift into 3rd @ around 6600-6800 the shifter would be in 3rd, but I got nothing. And I had to use some force to get it out. Anyone else have this problem?

Specs:
Pro 5.0 Shifter
McLeod Street Twin Borg & Beck Clutch
McLeod Adj Master Cylinder
New GM Slave Cylinder
Old 07-25-2009, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Powerhouse
I was running my car yesterday, and every time I tried to shift into 3rd @ around 6600-6800 the shifter would be in 3rd, but I got nothing. And I had to use some force to get it out. Anyone else have this problem?

Specs:
Pro 5.0 Shifter
McLeod Street Twin Borg & Beck Clutch
McLeod Adj Master Cylinder
New GM Slave Cylinder

Is this the first time this has happened? Is this a old setup? Or new (I know you say new slave, but what about rest)?

When you say, you "got nothing"...meaning, when you released the clutch pedal, nothing would happen?

Does the tranny shift fine under nomal driving, or even less "aggressiveness"?

Does this happen in ALL gears or just 3rd?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gen414
Is this the first time this has happened? Is this a old setup? Or new (I know you say new slave, but what about rest)?

When you say, you "got nothing"...meaning, when you released the clutch pedal, nothing would happen?

Does the tranny shift fine under nomal driving, or even less "aggressiveness"?

Does this happen in ALL gears or just 3rd?
It's the first time it's happened. And the setup I listed has about... 4-5k on it.

Yeah, when I shift, it's like i'm in neutral. But the shifter is engaged (Not a miss-shift). It takes some force to get it back out, then it will go in.

It shifts fine under normal driving and less aggressive driving. Just when I'm quick shifting @ high rpm.

I only was running it to 3rd. So i'm not sure about 4/5. The 1-2 shift was just fine.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem recently. It's 1 of 3 things, master, slave, or clutch. Mine was doing the same thing. Physically in gear according to shifter postion, but NOT in. It ended up either being my slave or clutch...i replaced both so i am not sure which it really was. Almost postive it was clutch, it was not disenguaging properly.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

I just took it out this afternoon and went 1-4. Shifted perfect. Trans temps last night were around 190 and 140 this afternoon. could heat be the issue?
Old 07-25-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not hot, so not really. Sounds like a disengaugement issue....have u bled the clutch like a **** yet? I would try that first, then go from there. Mine would go in about 1/4 of the time when it was acting up.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
That's not hot, so not really. Sounds like a disengaugement issue....have u bled the clutch like a **** yet? I would try that first, then go from there. Mine would go in about 1/4 of the time when it was acting up.

No, I haven't yet. Come to think of it, sometimes when taking off in first normal, I get some lag before it catches all the way. I'll try bleeding it. That may be what it is.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 AM
11 Second Club

sounds like it might be a cracked shift fork. i had the same problem before, but mine would grind going into third. I would hit third and seemed like i was on neutral, then had to yank it out to shift to some other gear til finally it gave out completely and had only 1-2 and 5-6.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Here are some pics of a tranny I am rebuilding right now, first one is cracked fork pad:

And this one is of a casting mark on the shift fork, and is very easy to understand why the aluminum forks break (even though this is not the 3/4 fork, the 3/4 fork DID have some casting flaws as well, the 1/2 just was worse off, and wanted to show some pics of more damage)

Last edited by Gen414; 07-26-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

OK so why is it hanging up in 3rd gear like that? bent shift rod, possibly, or fork.

BUT, if you went out last night and it did fine last night, it SOUNDS like a hydraulic or clutch issue, which is more in lines with a "inconsistent" problem.....one that happens every now and then, as opposed to all teh time.

Normally with something mechanical, like a bent shift rod for example, it will happen all teh time.

Quick Reply: Car won't shift into third @ high RPM