Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problem: Having issue installing tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem: Having issue installing tranny

I have a brand new LS6 motor outside of the car. I purchased the LS7 Clutch kit form ky speed and i had my T56 Tranny rebuilt with Stage 2 specs from Tick Performance. I am currently having a problem getting the transmission bellhousing, with tranny attached, flush with the block. Any tips or tricks?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

did u put the clutch setup in and flywheel, then bellhousing, and when it was all together throw the trans in there? it sould like u are trying to instal the trans with bellhousing attached.... not sure how easy that is! if so try installing them seperatly
Old 02-11-2010, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Much easier to get the input shaft of the trans to line up with the pilot bearing if you install the bell housing first, then the trans.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by archerandsons
did u put the clutch setup in and flywheel, then bellhousing, and when it was all together throw the trans in there? it sould like u are trying to instal the trans with bellhousing attached.... not sure how easy that is! if so try installing them seperatly
Yes, i have tried installing them separately as well. Both ways got me real close (within a .5" or so) but it just wont go in the rest of the way. I ended up cracking the bellhousing by trying to use it and the bolts to pull the tranny flush with the engine.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Were the motor and trans a pair? The LS6 will normally have the larger extended roller pilot bearing in the crank for the 1/2" shorter LS6 transmission input shaft. If you try to install a Fbody LS1 T56 on it, it will bottom out on the pilot.

If this is the case, pull out the large pilot bearing from the crank and install a small LS1 type pilot bushing which recesses 1/2 further in.. (Use a pilot puller, don't try to force it out by packing grease, etc..)
Old 02-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Were the motor and trans a pair? The LS6 will normally have the larger extended roller pilot bearing in the crank for the 1/2" shorter LS6 transmission input shaft. If you try to install a Fbody LS1 T56 on it, it will bottom out on the pilot.

If this is the case, pull out the large pilot bearing from the crank and install a small LS1 type pilot bushing which recesses 1/2 further in.. (Use a pilot puller, don't try to force it out by packing grease, etc..)
This is exactly the answer i was looking for. The trans is from my 2000 camaro SS. Thanks for all your help guys!!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow! learn somthing new every day!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

damnit! this is the info i was needing too! i saw the roller pilot bearing in the GM performance parts catalog and ordered it. i put it on a motor going into my firebird, but i see its further out than the bushing in my LS1 crank. i wish i could just machine down my input shaft or inside the crank pocket instead of having to dick around getting this roller bearing back out and junking it.