Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

need advice on what clutch to go with. daily driver dig racer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need advice on what clutch to go with. daily driver dig racer.

well its that time again for me. my spec stage 2 is shot with about 500hp going through it. it started slipping this fall on moderate acceleration. so i'm pondering going with the ls7 clutch but i'm unaware of its capabilities if it will take the abuse from slipping it for the drag radials or how it will like the track manners.
i know it is a very streetable clutch and would drive very nicely but i need something i can slip when i have the drag radials on and shifts very smoothly. i've had to take my tranny apart 3 times since owning it lol.

i'm open to hearing what other clutches people think so let me know what you think. i've been thinking about going with a twin disk but dunno if the budget will allow it this year.

also thought about picking up my buddys textrilla oz700 but i'm not sure on the street manners on the clutch anyone run one? like it dislike it? break stuff with it? lol
Old 02-18-2010, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

No bird...what is the story with the stage 2? How many miles are on it? Let me know and if you have any questions about the unit or other I will be happy to help you. As you likely know we offer different stages for different torque outputs, driving styles and usage types. Because the Kevlar facing used on our stage 2 disc is so easy on surfaces you may be able to upgrade to a different, higher friction coeffecient disc, and maintain the plate and flywheel you have been using.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
No bird...what is the story with the stage 2? How many miles are on it? Let me know and if you have any questions about the unit or other I will be happy to help you. As you likely know we offer different stages for different torque outputs, driving styles and usage types. Because the Kevlar facing used on our stage 2 disc is so easy on surfaces you may be able to upgrade to a different, higher friction coeffecient disc, and maintain the plate and flywheel you have been using.
i'm getting rid of my flywheel that was a fidanza aluminum and i want something a little heavier drag racing inspired.
i'm pretty sure its the pressure plate that is shot. i took it out the disk looks in really good shape as far as i can tell. it engages fine and drives fine but as soon as you put the pedal down it slips like you're riding the clutch. i bought the clutch in october of 2007. it didn't last the two years of summer driving and has roughly 12,000 miles on it. anything that can be done?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A LS7 clutch will not last dig racing/slipping the clutch.
Look at Monsters. They are even on sale. Best customer service period.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
A LS7 clutch will not last dig racing/slipping the clutch.
Look at Monsters. They are even on sale. Best customer service period.
wanna direct me to them?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

You could try google...their website is monsterclutches.com or SNL Performance
Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I daily drive my Textralia Exo-Skel twin disc. It is not hard to do, and it will hold anything. When it starts to slip, I am getting it rebuilt with new discs. It is simply awesome.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Monster stg 3 here. Look in my sig for power and tq on my ride. Drives mint and can take a beating like no other. I would not suggest a Ls7. I liked mine but it didnt like drag radials or being hot lapped...
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

After my positive experience with TEXtralia, I will have to suggest the OZ700 Z grip. Check out this review I did on it a while back.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...view-pics.html
Old 02-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
After my positive experience with TEXtralia, I will have to suggest the OZ700 Z grip. Check out this review I did on it a while back.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...view-pics.html
sounds like a good clutch. how easy is it to drive? just as far as leaving a stop light or anything is it pretty rough or not too bad? how about shifting? you able to shift fast and goes in every time? what flywheel did you run?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

To me it's easy to drive, but I've been running it since March of 06 .

You can slip this clutch if needed, but I generally never do. There has been times in it's life, when new, that it had some chatter on occasion, but that was due to how I was driving it.

The clutch performs awesome in every aspect when you call on it. Like I said in the link to the review, it performed great with bolt-ons and I made the shifts perfect and quick. After the heads/cam and trying to shift between 6700-6900, it didn't wanna release and I had to shift very slow or I would be blocked out. Since the stock master had 43-44k on it, I bought a McLeod adjustable, and it forever solved the issue and I was able to drive the **** outta it once again.

I installed an OZ700 Z grip in a buddies car in late summer of 08 and he has had great success with it as well.

Oh, we both use the billet steel flywheel that it comes with.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Nobird, Sorry for the delayed response. I had some computer issues relative to QuickBook updates that my computer didn't like...and was effectively without my computer yesterday and this morning. That being said do you have any pics of the parts? Any reason you think it is the plate? Do you have a measured thickness for the disc (using a micrometer). Let me know and I am sure I can assist you further.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Nobird, Sorry for the delayed response. I had some computer issues relative to QuickBook updates that my computer didn't like...and was effectively without my computer yesterday and this morning. That being said do you have any pics of the parts? Any reason you think it is the plate? Do you have a measured thickness for the disc (using a micrometer). Let me know and I am sure I can assist you further.
the disk appears to have a lot of life in it. i measured it at one time but forgot what it was. next time i'm over there i'll check it out. probably this week. i'll take some pics too. the disk doesn't look harmed at all.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

Good deal! Just let me know. Thanks,
Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Teching In

If you want to rebuild the unit you have contact kentucky clutch in louisville ky.I just had him rebuild my spec stage 3,excellent work and you cannot beat his prices. He resurfaced my flywheel, pressure plate and riveted thicker pads on the disc to make up for what was removed from the pressure plate.all for a little over a $100.00 He also sells pressure plate and disc assemblies.Contact him,you wont be disappointed.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 74ta
If you want to rebuild the unit you have contact kentucky clutch in louisville ky.I just had him rebuild my spec stage 3,excellent work and you cannot beat his prices. He resurfaced my flywheel, pressure plate and riveted thicker pads on the disc to make up for what was removed from the pressure plate.all for a little over a $100.00 He also sells pressure plate and disc assemblies.Contact him,you wont be disappointed.
that sounds awesome but i don't think this clutch offers what i'm after and would need to go with a different one no matter what. but i will keep them in mind for future reference
Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nobird8991
i'm getting rid of my flywheel that was a fidanza aluminum and i want something a little heavier drag racing inspired.
i'm pretty sure its the pressure plate that is shot. i took it out the disk looks in really good shape as far as i can tell. it engages fine and drives fine but as soon as you put the pedal down it slips like you're riding the clutch. i bought the clutch in october of 2007. it didn't last the two years of summer driving and has roughly 12,000 miles on it. anything that can be done?
I have the exact same setup with the exact same flywheel and clutch, at 9000 miles it's having the exact same problem. I am not happy. It was FINE until last week then all the sudden a roll on throttle in 4th gear and it slips. I think I'm going with a monster stage 2 this time.

SPEC-01,

When I tear down next weekend I'll get you some measurements. I bought mine in either late 2008 early 2009 I believe. I'll have to check my receipt.

Last edited by whiteseven; 03-19-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

I just wanted to follow up and say that this wasn't an issue with my spec clutch. It was an issue with oil on the clutch material. While my Spec Stage 2+ was alive it was a great clutch... now to figure out what was leaking.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteseven
I just wanted to follow up and say that this wasn't an issue with my spec clutch. It was an issue with oil on the clutch material. While my Spec Stage 2+ was alive it was a great clutch... now to figure out what was leaking.

I respect you for posting this and not leaving the problem on the clutch or the company. Hope you get the leak fixed.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wanna direct me to them?
It's Gforce1320 that has the Monster clutches on sale.
http://www.shop.gforce1320.com/categ...?categoryId=28

Quick Reply: need advice on what clutch to go with. daily driver dig racer.