Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
Old 05-10-2016, 03:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Tick Master Cylinder Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick Master Cylinder Installation

First, I am not a mechanic and never have claimed to be. So when I drove up and talked to the the guys at Tick Performance about the Master Cylinder for a 1999 Camaro SS, I was worried if I would be able to do it. I read the forms for a long time looking for pictures for assistance and came up empty handed. My brother and I took on the challenge today. I also had my camera ready to take plenty of pictures. The installation went very smooth except for when we went to open the bleeder and my brother dropped the socket in the bell housing. The good thing is since we are going to remove the bell housing, I am going to replace the clutch while I am in there. Good thing we know somebody with a lift. Looks like I will be calling Tick Tuesday morning about their monster clutch kits. I have plenty of pictures of the install and they will be forth coming when I get back home to up-load the pictures. I hope this post will help some other people out there install their master cylinder one day.

Travis
Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Default Pictures of Installation

This is the Location of the Master Cylinder inside the car, Right behind the clutch.

You have to take off these 2 nuts to loosen the master cylinder from the fire wall.

Clip to remove off the clutch pedal. Sorry its blurry

Hydro Line to remove off left (drivers) side of Transmission. To remove take 2 flat head screw drivers and push in the white part and pull line out. The bleeder screw is about 2 inch's above this. It will take a thin walled 7/16th socket in 1/4 drive. Be very careful and not drop the socket into the bell housing (my brother dropped it in mine)

Hydro line and Heat shield. 7mm bolt heads

After Hydro Line removed from Transmission

Removed Heat Shield

Location of Master Cylinder topside. Its tucked under the Brake Booster. You can just see the braided Hydro line

Close up of Factory Master. Notice the wire loom that's in the way. Hard to move around

Just another close up

This is the differences between the factory and the TICK Master. Yes mine was leaking

Close up of my Bad Factory Master

Close up of TICK master almost in place. This is the hard part. It will take patience cause its a blind spot. Also notice the wire loom in the way. You will have to move it out of the way per the instructions

Installed and Tucked away

Top side view after installed. When this picture was took, I had not crawled back under car to route the Hydro Line
Old 05-31-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome man, I really need to install one of these!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Teching In

I sure hope this will help take the fear of the install away from just average people when it comes to installing their own parts. If I can do it, anybody can.

Since I plan on removing the bell housing to remove the socket (boooo) I am going to go ahead and replace my clutch and slave including installing the Tick remote bleeder! I have been looking at the stage 3 Monster Clutch. What does everybody think. My car is stock right now. I plan on a getting Heads and Cam at some point. Good Idea or bad on clutch choice?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Teching In

KrisXpc, I wish I could tell you it has been worth all my trouble but I have not been able to drive it yet. Gotta wait till next weekend at the earliest to work on removing the socket. Everything I have read tells me I am in for a very fun time once I get to drive it! The install was very easy even though it looks tough.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I was going to strongly suggest you utilize the remote bleeder. I never could get a decent bleed on the clutch line before I installed the tick bleeder (also with a new tick master) - tried the stock bleeder and the mityvac, pedal still never felt great.

I installed the tick with the monster S3 this winter and so far it's been a great setup. The monster grabs well and though it had some decent chatter for the 500 mile break in, its gotten quite a bit better.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Excellent thread. I am replacing the master in my car today...Hopefully
Old 06-01-2010, 02:03 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice job! The Tick unit looks like a nice piece.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Tick, has been in the car for over 2 years, no issues. I am due to change clutch fluid as I do it periodically.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Well an update. I have ordered the Monster Clutch 2 kit from Tick today. They recommended me get this clutch for my set up. I will take pictures of the clutch install also to help people out.

Ferg95 T/A-- Let me know how your install goes.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the write up... I'll hopefully be doing this at the end of the summer.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Very nice job! The Dick unit looks like a nice piece.
If I had a nickel.....
Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write up.

About how long after you ordered the MC did you receive it? Getting antsy because I want to drive my car lol
Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JohnnyBz28
nice write up.

About how long after you ordered the MC did you receive it? Getting antsy because I want to drive my car lol
I got mine in about 3 days. Shipping was QUICK for me! Then again, I would imagine it depends on where you live. I'm in MD.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NHRATRANSAM64
I got mine in about 3 days. Shipping was QUICK for me! Then again, I would imagine it depends on where you live. I'm in MD.
Ah okay. I'm in New York and placed the order on Monday (which should have went through Tuesday morning)

Last edited by JohnnyBz28; 06-03-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Great write up and i think i'm going to go with the whole monster/tick way too. Where did u guys with the remote bleeder line run it to, or any sugestions on a safe out of the way/place, where you would be able to bleed easily from? And and problems/issues with tick mc or stage 3 yet becides the little chatter during breakin?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ran the remote bleeder line up to where the reservoir for the clutch master is, right near the brake master. Convenient, easy to access. I can also see it from the driver's seat, so I can watch when I am bleeding and make sure it's dumping into the container, and look at the fluid color and for any air bubbles.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I am about to tackle putting the Tick master on this week w/ speed bleeder. I didn't get any instructions with it and I am afraid I will adjust the pedal wrong.

Good write up.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I am about to tackle putting the Tick master on this week w/ speed bleeder. I didn't get any instructions with it and I am afraid I will adjust the pedal wrong.

Good write up.
FWIW, it's about impossible to install the speed bleeder without having access to the slave, so you'll need to drop the trans.

For the adjustment, start the clutch pedal out very low. See if you can put it in gear with the car running. Keep backing out the adjustment nut to move the pedal higher, until you hit a point where you can shift into gear with the clutch depressed. The clutch height will most likely end up a bit lower than stock - mine is about even with the brake pedal. DO NOT attempt to adjust it out to stock height. The Tick master moves more fluid than the stocker, and if you use the full range of pedal travel, it will overextend the slave cylinder and damage it.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

For those of you who have successfully blead your system with the tick remote speed bleeder: did you bench-bleed the master first?

Quick Reply: Tick Master Cylinder Installation