Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What does everyone think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What does everyone think?

I got stuck in traffic the other day coming back from MN and when I tried to put my car in another gear I could not get it in the gear. Clutch was fully down and I could not push it in any gear that I tried. It would not grind or anything when trying to get it in gear. Well this went on for like 15min and then finally I was able to get it in gear. But every time I would shift I would hear a noise but it would stop after releasing the clutch pedal.

I am thinking that my throwout bearings are loose or about to break. What does everyone else think? The clutch does have alot of miles on it.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles is alot? Whens the last time you bled the system? Could be that simple.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

85K and never.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Thing is it never did that before...Would it just all of a sudden do that because it needs to be bled? I should probably get another clutch, because it does have some miles on it, but it still hold pretty good.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

I would drain all the old fluid out and bleed the system really good and see what that does for you. By now it's gonna be just nasty black. If after you bleed it, it starts going into gear then keep an eye on your fluid. If it turns dark or black within a week, then that's a good sign your T/O bearing is on it's way out. At this point, it's time to uprade the clutch, T/O bearing, and master cylinder. If you need any further help just let me know. I've had my share of fun and mishaps with the T56.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blue98Z
I would drain all the old fluid out and bleed the system really good and see what that does for you. By now it's gonna be just nasty black. If after you bleed it, it starts going into gear then keep an eye on your fluid. If it turns dark or black within a week, then that's a good sign your T/O bearing is on it's way out. At this point, it's time to uprade the clutch, T/O bearing, and master cylinder. If you need any further help just let me know. I've had my share of fun and mishaps with the T56.
Thanks for the help. I will give that a try and see what happens. Is the T/O bearing on the Slave Cylinder or part of the clutch? I wasn't 100% sure. I heard they redesigned the Slave Cylinder, so I was going to replace that when got a new clutch and flywheel, since I have to take everything off anyway.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

When the T/O bearing goes out what happens? Are you unable to get it in gear and drive it?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah pretty much.

Have you got it goin yet?
Old 10-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Not yet....Thinking I'm just going to replace the Slave Cylinder and get the LS7 clutch package. Seems like all my symptoms point to a bad Slave Cylinder.

I see that you have a SPEC clutch. How do you like it? Have you ever tired a LS7 clutch, because I was kinda deciding between a LS7 Clutch or Spec Stage 2.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah if the slave is gone then now is a good time to upgrade everything since it's not exactly a simple chore pulling the tranny on one of these. It's not bad but not easy either.

I've had this clutch for 5yrs now. I like it alot!! Takes everything I've thrown at it for 22k miles and still grabs hard. I will buy another when this one goes.

Quick Reply: What does everyone think?