Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trouble getting into 1st gear at a standstill

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default trouble getting into 1st gear at a standstill

What causes this? Its only occasional, but is getting more and more prevalent. When I press the clutch in, and try to get it in first, it feels like its telling me no.

Sometimes it goes in smoothly, sometimes it sticks like mentioned above, and other times it grinds a tad and the whole car jerks from it. The last part is rare, but it does happen.

Any ideas?

The car is an 04 cts-v btw.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hyd clutch system has air in it and needs bled at least, or possibly replaced if leaking. Clutch is not being fully released and dragging. It's most noticeable in the lower gears because of the TQ-multiplication.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

it also does it in reverse, and if I put it in 4th then 1st, it seems to release it.

I'm mainly concerned about it being a nad synchro, but you seem to be sure its not, which is still sort of a relief. I can put a slave in, not a synchro.

You think its worth checking my trans fluid?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not too familiar with these specific models, but clutch pedal adjustment sounds like the issue to me.

Do you have free play on the pedal before it feels like its starting to move the slave?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Hyd clutch system has air in it and needs bled at least, or possibly replaced if leaking. Clutch is not being fully released and dragging. It's most noticeable in the lower gears because of the TQ-multiplication.
+1
I had a similar issue. It would sometimes feel like it wanted to grind when I was slowing down to a stop sign and putting it in first. I bleed it and it felt 10x better and smooth. The clutch was not fully disengaging.

Originally Posted by Darin
Im not too familiar with these specific models, but clutch pedal adjustment sounds like the issue to me.

Do you have free play on the pedal before it feels like its starting to move the slave?
There is no adjustability in the factory hydraulic system.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man I just bled the clutch like 3 times and still have the issue. A lot of air came out, though. I ran out of fluid last year around this time and it never ran low again to this day. No clue why.

On the master, the eye is oval shaped instead of round, and there's 1-2 inches of pedal movement before I even start to push the pin. Do you think this could be an issue?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04NYbCM6DiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5VTyxB5zaM

this is what i have post-bleed.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine does the same, figuring it's the master cylinder going out (high load shifts are next to impossible also). I'll hopefully get a chance to install my tick master this weekend.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

let me know if it works, high load shifts are perfectly fine on my car, at least for now.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

well a bit of an update, i got pissed off on the way home and just kept pushing through the grind sound, and it went right on sans the grinding.

if i push the car into 1st gear with the clutch out, it should stop me from pushing and push the car slowly forward.

why does it go right through into the grind sound? i wonder if my clutch is stuck in the middle.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:45 PM
FormerVendor

Rad, are you saying that you can push the gear lever into 1st without depressing the clutch pedal? Please confirm...I may be miss-reading your last post.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jeremy, I can push the gear selector into the 1st slot, and rather than push the car forward a hair like it used to, the gear just grinds like in the videos.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a hydro problem that has led to a syncro problem. If the clutch has been dragging it can cause a lot of wear on the syncro. First gear will grind because the syncro is trying to spin up first but its wore so it cant. Its trying to spin up first gear because the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

Also, its hard to get all the air out. I'd bleed it some more and then bleed it some more. Once you get the clutch to disengage fully, the grind should subside however; the damage is already done. You may still have a light grind if you push the clutch in and immediately try to go into gear. Push the clutch in and give the trans time to wind down and you shouldn't have a grind if the clutch is disengaging like it should.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its weird, sometimes I can throw it in gear immediately, and other times it'll grind, and I can hold the clutch in for like 10 seconds and it still grinds.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RADEoN
What causes this? Its only occasional, but is getting more and more prevalent. When I press the clutch in, and try to get it in first, it feels like its telling me no.

Sometimes it goes in smoothly, sometimes it sticks like mentioned above, and other times it grinds a tad and the whole car jerks from it. The last part is rare, but it does happen.

Any ideas?

The car is an 04 cts-v btw.
its definently a clutch slave or the master its not the clutch im sure if you change it it will work great as long as you dont keep driving it those trans break easy good luck
Old 11-24-2010, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like the friction material on the synchro has de-bonded, my 02 Z had the same problem in 1st and started acting up in 2nd before I pulled it and stuffed new syncros in. Factory clutch, factory hyd, failures occured between 18k-26k original miles. Let us know what you find, and Good Luck!
Old 11-24-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing on my 05. I have to put it in second when it does this at a stop. It is really annoying.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

I'm having this same problem after I did my A4-M6 swap. If I pump the clutch pedal it won't do it as badly, which tells me it's a hydraulic issue.

Bleeding this thing is a real pain for same reason, so I drilled a hole in the tunnel so I can do it myself without help.

I have the same issue with the actual pedal assembly and the master cylinder arm having play in them. Do you guys with stock M6's have this "issue"? What I mean is, the pin in the clutch pedal arm is like 1/2" and the hole in the master cyl arm is like 3/4", so when you push the clutch in, it moves for about 2" before it starts engaging the actual master cyl. Is this a design thing?

Quick Reply: trouble getting into 1st gear at a standstill