Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot Bushing not installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Bushing not installed

OK I am installing my new clutch/flywheel and when unpacking the parts i noticed a new pilot bushing. I got under the car and there is nothing in the crank or on the input shaft. My car was really choppy feeling when first starting in 1st gear. I am now sure this is the problem. This brings up 2 questions...Which way does the bushing go in? and What kind of damage has been done to my transmission with this not being installed.
Does this face towards the front of the car or the back?
I assume that the photo marked "rear" faces the back of the car.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got it backwards, the side you have marked rear faces the engine. The tapered side faces the rear.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possible damage could only really be the input shaft bearing or the mainshaft front bearing. If you caught the problem rather quickly, your probably gonna be fine. Just have to get the pilot in and try it out.

The tapered hole in the bearing faces the rear so the input shaft can easily align into it and also so the install tool (likely a socket) does not damage the inner roller bearing when banging it in.

FTR, (my opinion) I hate roller pilot bearings. I have seen and had them explode and take the input shaft with it. Also getting them out of the crank is a MF. I like bronze bushings much better because they provide less drama.

I just installed a new bushing and clutch just an hour ago.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

I am really in no hurry cause I dont have my new torque arm yet so the camaro is sitting on jack stands and I am driving the charger till more parts come in. Any reason why that wouldnt be installed? I have had to change the slave 2 times since last sept.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

It was simply overlooked. No other possible reason.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I lubed it up and put it in. Used a deep well socket and hammer. How far does it go in. It feels like it is all the way in, But looks like there is another 1/4" left(it is in the crank but there is the beveled area on the back). I dont want to damage the bushing, but I also dont want to have to remove the clutch and pressure plate once I am trying to put the trans in and it is sticking out too far. If anyone has a pic of the bushing installed I would appreciate it.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by southernculture
I lubed it up and put it in. Used a deep well socket and hammer. How far does it go in. It feels like it is all the way in, But looks like there is another 1/4" left(it is in the crank but there is the beveled area on the back). I dont want to damage the bushing, but I also dont want to have to remove the clutch and pressure plate once I am trying to put the trans in and it is sticking out too far. If anyone has a pic of the bushing installed I would appreciate it.
About a year ago, I had a bushing wear out and got the usual vibes between gears. After analysis of the worn bushing, I saw that a little over half of the bushing was actually making contact with the stub. Clearly their was not enough contact. I also examined the input stub and there was a lot of area there too that never mated with the bushing. Yes I have all OEM components here.

Based on this, I leave the bushing sticking out of its hole in the crank a generous 1/4" or so. This ensure more contact with the input stub.

After analysis of the bushing I pulled a day or two ago that was installed as stated above about a year ago, there was much more contact being made on the bushing as intended by the modification. Also it had zero wear and fit the stub very snug like it should. I could actually allow even more of the bushing to stick out like maybe 5/16" but I dont want to push it for fear of the bushing loosening in the crank. The worst immediate issue that can happen if the bushing is sticking to far out of the crank is the tranny wont properly seat against the bell housing.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by wrd1972; 12-21-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by southernculture
flush. space behind is so you can get a pull tool in to remove.
Attached Thumbnails Pilot Bushing not installed-clutch-inst-2-pilot.jpg   Pilot Bushing not installed-clutch-inst-4-flywheel.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

got it in there right. I am replacing my input shaft seal now cause when the slave was removed some trans fluid came out. I also bought some longer bolts to make sure the slave is in properly overtop of the shim. I dont want to run the chance of having to drop the trans a 4th time in 6 months. I will have a new input seal, slave + throwout, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and pilot bushing. Also going to do the drill mod this time. Hopefully there is no more little issues with my transmission!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

OK This is the only issue I can see that is causing all of my issues! I got everything installed and the clutch wont disengage. I replaced the slave, no disengagement. I replaced the master, no disengagement. I re torqued the PP bolts to 22 ft lbs and no disengagement. I am at my witts end. Either my clutch is faulty or There is a problem with pilot bearing. Every other thing I can think of has been changed. If I remove the trans again I want to be sure what the problem is because I am sick of pulling the trans. Please help!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

What year car is this happening in? What type of clutch?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

I put the stock one in and it worked
Old 01-05-2011, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having a similar issue. What clutch were you using?
Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I know a guy who forgot to install this bushing. Within a short amount of time, couple hundred miles, the input shaft had ignorant play in it and was making all kinds of noise. I agreed to look it over and after disassembly I found teeth broken off the input shaft, the input main bearing messed up, and the main shaft front bearing completely destroyed and the inner race WELDED itself to the main shaft. I had to get a machinist to turn the race off. What a disaster I would measure input shaft play if you have run this at all without the bushing. It would be cheaper now to fix
Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I would measure input shaft play if you have run this at all without the bushing. It would be cheaper now to fix

Quick Reply: Pilot Bushing not installed