Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch change, ISSUES!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Clutch change, ISSUES!!!!

Alright, i just replaced an old stock ls1 clutch with an ls6 clutch from gm performance. i have bled for hours, i have used the mighty vac, i have done the illustirous JMD method, i have bench bled both the master cylinder and the slave cylinder.... i even put the tranny in the car and left a gap of about a half inch and watched the throw out bearing make contact with the pressure plate fingers and move them.... my pedal has a ok pressure.. its not great but it should work. i dont have a tick master cylinder, and please do not tell me how awesome they are and how your problems just vanished after you bought it.. i dont have time for all of that! this car will not go into gear! and in two weeks i leave the Marines and go back home in this car depending of course on this particular issue. i have read plenty of posts and the only idea i have left is to drop the tranny... ( my buddy and i are so proficient at this now that it only takes us about an two hours to yank it and re install it) and remove the pressure plate, check for damage or whatever, and then torque it to specs. i have heard that an over torqued pressure plate will cause disengagement issues. i just ramed them home, in a star pattern of course. so if anyone has any suggestions or experiance with this issue or similar please PLEASE write asap.... i know i have just took the wind out of a lot of peoples sails by saying dont recommend tick master cylinders to me, and JMD method, and mity vac method... please, im more than capable of reading the post that are littered with the same recomendations.. also i have about two inches of free play at the top of my pedal. new slave, new master cylinder, new ls6 clutch. there is no reason why i would need an after market item to make all of my stockness work.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it go into gear with the car off? If it goes into to gear with the car off and not when it is running then normally the clutch is not releasing all the way, maybe there is still air in the system somehow.

I didnt have any problems bleeding mine but I see most do have problems.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Right!, it will go into gear with the car off, but when the car is on, nothing maybe a little grinding. i disconnected the quick disconnect and bled until the pedal was rock solid... no air in there, no way!, then i took the tranny down and bench bled the **** out of the slave. then i connected the slave to the quick disconnect and left it there. i pumped until the slave was solid. i then lifted the tranny into the car and bolted the slave up. at that point i weasled the input shaft in and started to close the gap... but i did not close it all the way. i ran some bolts in and made it to where the dowel pins were touching the holes and it i left a slight gap between the tranny and the bell housing, then i had my helper push the clutch pedal in. when he did that i watched the throw out bearing make contact with the pressure plate fingers and i watch the fingers depress. at that point i bolted the tranny back up and buttoned everything together. started the car, nada.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you sure the clutch disk is on the right way? I have seen this happen before. The only thing it really can be is that it is not releasing the clutch all the way. Maybe for some reason you need an adjustable master to allow it to release.

I am not expert so maybe someone will chime in.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
Are you sure the clutch disk is on the right way? I have seen this happen before. The only thing it really can be is that it is not releasing the clutch all the way. Maybe for some reason you need an adjustable master to allow it to release.

I am not expert so maybe someone will chime in.
^ It may be partially releasing but not quite far enough. Either an adjustable master or a slave shim may be the answer.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Im not sure about an ls6 clutch,but when i installed my spec clutch it need a shim.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html
Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah the shims are supposably not needed for the ls6 clutch. However I did go buy a new slave this morning on account of everyone saying that it needs to be replaced everytime the tranny is dropped. After comparing the motion on the slaves old and new its looking like the slave again maybe the problem. For good measure I've torqued the pressure plate to specs. We will know in about 20 minutes. Im about ready to fire it up. Fingers crossed
Old 12-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Nothing.... throwing the old clutch back on.....
Old 12-18-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

are you using a new flywheel or did you resurface the old one ?
Old 12-18-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bet an adjustable master would fix the problem. Maybe the tolerance thickness is different so its not realeasing now.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
I bet an adjustable master would fix the problem. Maybe the tolerance thickness is different so its not realeasing now.

Tick master cylinder...... all problems solved...... sigh....
Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

hahaha.....tick strikes again.

Quick Reply: Clutch change, ISSUES!!!!