Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The Chatter.

hey guys,
recently i installed a stage 3 monster with 28 lbs
it still is in the break-in procedure 150+ miles done,
my problem:
The car shakes so bad that i raise rpm.. the more rpm i have the disco clubs i host in the car go off. i'm unsure but i believe they call it clutch chatter.
one of my friends had a stage 4 and said it got quieter after a while.

what can i do?

thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Give it more time. Make sure to break it in slowly. Usually 5-600 miles you can rip on it, and the glazing and chatter will go away.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Make sure to break it in slowly
clarify "slowly".

Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Meaning don't be hitting 6000rpm shifts until 500-600 miles. When breaking in a clutch, I daily drive "gas saver mode" for 100 miles, and then slowly raise the shift RPMs over the next few hundred miles.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's my daily procedure, i only start the car to go to college which ends up to a max of 0.75 miles from home to college and the same amount back home making the total a max of 1.5miles.
i have been raising the rpm to a max of 4k (sometimes i get late due to traffic) is that bad?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm no clutch engineer, so I can't say if 150 miles and 4,000 RPM is BAD for it, but I can bet it's certainly not recommended
Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmDWs6
That's my daily procedure, i only start the car to go to college which ends up to a max of 0.75 miles from home to college and the same amount back home making the total a max of 1.5miles.
i have been raising the rpm to a max of 4k (sometimes i get late due to traffic) is that bad?
For real?

When I broke in my Street Twin I would just go on 20-25 minute cruises. Just normal driving, stop and go, taking it easy for abut the first 500 miles.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

I got a monster stage 3 and it chatters. i broke it in right now it makes a howling sound when starting off my car makes 502 rwhp and i wanted the stage two got talked out of it for the stage three if you don't let it out just right it chatters in new jersey traffic it sucks... yea the clutch grabs great in racing conditions but i would of rather had the stage two it rated for 570 ish plenty good enough
Old 05-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Teching In

I had a Monster stage 3 for about 6000 miles until I changed it out for an LS7/Ram lwfw setup. Broke it in properly but the chatter never went away. My commute consists of numerous stop lights so I got tired of the chatter and squawk. The car is now so much more enjoyable to drive again. Just my experience.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

what both of the above guys said seems weird..
the only dance off i have is when i'm raising my speed from 0
it idles well it doesn't shake nothing.
my car isnt even tuned and still it doesn't shake
even while driving it's just fine
the only shake i have is when starting to raise speed from 0 in first gear.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes that is def clutch chatter... what happens is that when you release the clutch the puk style clutch contacts the flywheel in sections instead of one smooth disc and the friction material is also more "grippy" resulting in less slip thus the shaking...

it should get a little better after you fully break it in. however my friends and most other people I talk to always have a bit of chatter even after break in IF they drive it like you would drive a normal stick car. what they have all found is that if you apply a little more throttle and release the clutch a little quicker it will minimize the amount of slip on the flywheel and thus limit the chatter. My buddy has about 4k on his monster and when I drive it I still chatter it like a bitch because I'm used to a normal clutch, when he drives I cant even tell the clutch is there.. It just feels like hes taking off like a dick lol because he slips it out at around 16-1900 rpm.

I should also add that in the event you break it in and it still chatters a lot it probably has some glaze on the disc which is an easy fix. My buddy's was doing this so he called monster and they simply told him to go BEAT on it... Couple of 3k clutch dumps doing 45 mph the chatter mostly disappeared and then after that he just learned his never driving style and I really dont notice much chatter unless i drive it lol.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Weirdest update:
i drove the car today and i noticed,
the whole chatter is totally GONE !
it faded i even tried moving the car with only the clutch yes it had some chat's but not like before my odo reads that i'm close to 200miles.. of the break in.. yes friends it is weird.
--
redbird555.-
slip it of at 16-1900 rpm ? WHAT !
even with the worst chat times i had i didn't even pass 1300 -.-
Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what both of the above guys said seems weird..
the only dance off i have is when i'm raising my speed from 0
it idles well it doesn't shake nothing.
my car isnt even tuned and still it doesn't shake
even while driving it's just fine
the only shake i have is when starting to raise speed from 0 in first gear.
Same here, just broke mine in & it drives like the LS7 I had but much grippier. I have no complaints as of yet.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Same here, just broke mine in & it drives like the LS7 I had but much grippier. I have no complaints as of yet.

Mine does as well. Seems like it smoothed out over night.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Weirdest update:
i drove the car today and i noticed,
the whole chatter is totally GONE !
it faded i even tried moving the car with only the clutch yes it had some chat's but not like before my odo reads that i'm close to 200miles.. of the break in.. yes friends it is weird.
--
redbird555.-
slip it of at 16-1900 rpm ? WHAT !
even with the worst chat times i had i didn't even pass 1300
-.-
It seems some people never have chatter issues after break in and others do either way still a great clutch. Anyway what I meant is when driving the car to avoid chatter hell do a quick rev of the motor to 1600ish and the let the clutch out rather quick not like dumping it just a quicker release and the almost immediate engagement does allow any chatter
Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
FormerVendor

It all boils down to installation first, break in second.

If you experience chatter during the break in it should be very minimal. I do not recommend being overly "nice" to the clutch during the first 500 miles as this can cause glazing and "squealing" as it's called on the forums. If the clutch is squealing, change your driving habits. This is caused from excessive slipping, you need to alter your driving habits to slip the clutch less.

During break in you do not have to limit rpm, just wot passes, RPM doesn't matter.

The absolute best thing to do if you're having issues or have questions is to call us, that way we can clarify your issues with you and get you on the right path to correcting things and enjoying your clutch/car again.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
FormerVendor

FWIW the best way to engage a pucked clutch without chatter is to "blip" the throttle to around 1200-1400 rpm and engage the unit while the rpm's are falling. This keep glazing to an absolute minimum and 9 out of 10 times you won't have any chatter.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm not sure about squealing but sometimes i hear some kind of squeals now when the im done with the start in first gear but i think that sound is coming from my springs not the clutch. i try to use the engine rpm to slow down as much as i can even if it meant rpm reaches 2,500 due to smaller gear. i'll update this thread once i'm done with the break-in period.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

well turns out the squeals is from the clutch it only does it one i'm going to launch or shifting to 2nd..... and yes its new.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Launching!

If it sounds like a family of turkies live in your car. Beat on it. And then when quiet, change your driving habits and don't slip it so much. If ya don't change the way you drive then you can perma glaze it at which your disk will need replacement. And call SNL for any questions or advise they are awesome about customer service.

Last edited by 99french; 05-22-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: The Chatter.