Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

monster level 3 installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monster level 3 installed!!

so we finally got around to throwing the new clutch\flywheel\slave in car yesterday and suprisingly went extremely well without any issues. car had a ram powergrip hd in it before installed by previous owner, i liked the clutch had no issues in the 8 months i had owned the car then i threw slicks on it for our track day and drove arouind town for a day not even beating on the car and it **** the bed lol. heres some pics of old clutch and new stuff!!

my buddy john installing the new gm slave cylinder
[IMG][/IMG]
old pos ram powergrip hd completely shot with 10-12k miles
[IMG][/IMG]
thats scary
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

new monster level 3
[IMG][/IMG]
new lsx 28lb flywheel
[IMG][/IMG]
new gm slave and gm flywheel bolts&pp bolts
[IMG][/IMG]
installed
[IMG][/IMG]
all BG fluids
[IMG][/IMG]
install went very well, didnt need to remove any of my custom x pipe setup or headers etc...very happy with clutch so far, its deff like an on-off switch right now but im told it will get much better as it breaks in
Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

The Monster unit looks to be considerbly better made than the RAM in the disc hub. I like the partially covered spring keepers vs the RAM and never liked encased springs in plastic/resin like the RAM

Given the 3 is a segmented type disc it will be less forgiving in terms of street maners vs a full face disc clutch but should hold the power. Engagement technique will be a learning curve but very doable to find a chatter free operation. break in period should help resolve chatter after 500 miles or so.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ******
The Monster unit looks to be considerbly better made than the RAM in the disc hub. I like the partially covered spring keepers vs the RAM and never liked encased springs in plastic/resin like the RAM

Given the 3 is a segmented type disc it will be less forgiving in terms of street maners vs a full face disc clutch but should hold the power. Engagement technique will be a learning curve but very doable to find a chatter free operation. break in period should help resolve chatter after 500 miles or so.
yes you can tell how much better built this clutch is compared to that ram garbage that was in it. i drove the car around town today for 30 miles or so seems to be getting better already. the pedal is much softer then the ram was also so thats what im getting used to as well
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mikh338
. the pedal is much softer then the ram was also so thats what im getting used to as well
I suspect the new hydraulic TO bearing assembly has something to do with a diffrent pedal feel. Don't know if Monster "modify" the PP in any way for more clamp force over stock but if so generally that gives a slightly firmer pedal feel.

also confirm you did bleed hydraulics completely but if shifting is good I would suspect you did. Just think a softer than stock pedal feel is not what you would get with a Monster clutch. Obviously if you are having any issues I hear the folks at Monster have great customer service.

Unfortunately they don't make a LT1 "pull" type clutch that I know of :-(
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ******
I suspect the new hydraulic TO bearing assembly has something to do with a diffrent pedal feel. Don't know if Monster "modify" the PP in any way for more clamp force over stock but if so generally that gives a slightly firmer pedal feel.

also confirm you did bleed hydraulics completely but if shifting is good I would suspect you did. Just think a softer than stock pedal feel is not what you would get with a Monster clutch. Obviously if you are having any issues I hear the folks at Monster have great customer service.

Unfortunately they don't make a LT1 "pull" type clutch that I know of :-(
all i know is i like it lol just will take a little getting used to. im pretty sure we got the system bleed fine. i guess we will see once it breaks in after 500 miles and i start beating on it
Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

After break in it will feel even better I have 1000 miles on my stage 3 and get very little chatter. I takes some gettin used to but once you get the launch technique down it drives like any other clutch. Do you have a stock master still if so get the tick it's the best mod I've done to my car so far
Old 01-15-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Monster has great products. How does shifting into second feel? no chatter?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS600461
After break in it will feel even better I have 1000 miles on my stage 3 and get very little chatter. I takes some gettin used to but once you get the launch technique down it drives like any other clutch. Do you have a stock master still if so get the tick it's the best mod I've done to my car so far
i just have the drill mod done and had no issues before with my ram setup, rip gears at 7k rpm's and never missed a shift so im waiting on a tick master
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you like it man!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Glad you like it man!
yeah im happy with it so far, going to take a while to get it broken in since its winter and i dont drive it until its nice out and no salt. hopefully it performs well!!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Those rams have much more pressure rate on the fingers I am guessing over the monster. This is not the first time someone has said the moster feels softer than other clutches taken out. That disk from the ram looks really good besides the burning.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Z284U2TRY
Those rams have much more pressure rate on the fingers I am guessing over the monster. This is not the first time someone has said the moster feels softer than other clutches taken out. That disk from the ram looks really good besides the burning.
Actually it's just a completely different pressure plate design all together. The plate load on my unit will be a bit more, but, our modified pivot will make the bearing load considerably less.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z284U2TRY
looks really good in design or shape wise besides the burns? all the contacts are completely gone
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mikh338
looks really good in design or shape wise besides the burns? all the contacts are completely gone
IMHO that old disc looks like it's done...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
IMHO that old disc looks like it's done...
yes its completely gone its pretty much flush haha thats why i was suprised by z28s comment unless he was being sarcastic

Quick Reply: monster level 3 installed!!