Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New monster stage 2. Clutch pedal sticking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New monster stage 2. Clutch pedal sticking.

I installed a monster stage 2 clutch about a thousand miles ago. Car has a tick mc. Finished the break in without getting on it hard. now that the break in is done on hard down shifts and all up shifts the clutch pedal sticks to the floor a little and is slow to return.

i have the clutch adjusted just below the level of the brake pedal.

clutch has not been bled since install.

hoping nothing got trashed during the break in miles. let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rebleed the clutch with a quality non synthetic DOT 4 fluid and readjust the master. Once you've done that report back on what it's doing.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks! will do. I just need to find some time to get back to the shop where i can do some work. let me know if you think of anything else that will help.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Teching In

alright. i finally got a chance to work on the car a bit. changed rear output shaft seal and put new fluid in the trans. also re bled the clutch and adjusted the clutch pedal. the pedal is no longer slow to return. it doesn't have very far to go. but it doesn't feel like its grabbing like it should.

any suggestions?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean it's not grabbing like it should? Like the clutch is slipping? Also, now that you've bled it, are you getting into gear ok during wide open throttle runs?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Correct. like its slipping. no problem with high rpm shifts getting into gear. no problems getting into gear at all.

i forgot to mention the clutch pedal return spring was still installed as well. i removed it along with everything else.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kavend
Correct. like its slipping. no problem with high rpm shifts getting into gear. no problems getting into gear at all.

i forgot to mention the clutch pedal return spring was still installed as well. i removed it along with everything else.
Slipping? But no WOT problems? What do you mean?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Rebleed the clutch with a quality non synthetic DOT 4 fluid and readjust the master. Once you've done that report back on what it's doing.
I'm using synthetic DOT4... I've never heard not to. Any reason to avoind it? I JUST got through the break-in period with it. All new EVERYTHING.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have stock slave and master cylinder?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM
FormerVendor

It sounds as if the clutch wasn't being fully disengaged and now may possibly be damaged. Describe exactly what it's doing, or, better yet just give us a call at the shop and we'll go over it in detail.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

The synthetic fluid breaks down the crappy gm seals
Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

my clutch pedal sits just slightly higher then my brake pedal, and if the pedal is too low you can't fully disengage the clutch, the Tick master has to push enough fluid to the slave for the TOB to push on the pressure plate to release the clutch during shifts. I think your pedal adjustment is way off, I have seen my bud destroy a monster stage III because his clutch pedal was half way down in comparison of the brake pedal and wasn't fully disengaging the clutch. But he didn't like that the clutch released near the top of the pedal so it was further down.

I have a monster stage III w/ a tick master.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

The synthetic fluid breaks down the crappy gm seals
I use super blue ATE DOT 4 racing fluid, your thoughts?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Slipping? But no WOT problems? What do you mean?
When I accelerate hard it feels as though the clutch isn't grabbing until it gets higher up in the rpm. The shift from first to second seems to be the most noticeable. The car already had the tick mc installed when I bought it. Put in the monster stage two and did the break in miles as recommended. I haven't had any wot problems getting into gear. But haven't done much hard driving.

The car had a ram clutch in it before I replaced it with the monster. I noticed when I took the ram clutch out that the pressure plate side of the friction disc was worn all the way down but the flywheel side didnt seem to have much wear. So i don't know if that can be related. But I know I installed the clutch correctly.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kavend
When I accelerate hard it feels as though the clutch isn't grabbing until it gets higher up in the rpm. The shift from first to second seems to be the most noticeable. The car already had the tick mc installed when I bought it. Put in the monster stage two and did the break in miles as recommended. I haven't had any wot problems getting into gear. But haven't done much hard driving.

The car had a ram clutch in it before I replaced it with the monster. I noticed when I took the ram clutch out that the pressure plate side of the friction disc was worn all the way down but the flywheel side didnt seem to have much wear. So i don't know if that can be related. But I know I installed the clutch correctly.
That doesn't make a lot of sense. Typically, as the speed/load increase the clutch will slip, not the other way around.

Are you sure you're not spinning? Give us a call and we'll go over this in more detail, like I said, it just doesn't make sense how you're describing it.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Teching In

SNLperformance whats your name and number there at the shop? i'll give you a call when i get a chance.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

Steve- 817-750-2000

Quick Reply: New monster stage 2. Clutch pedal sticking.