Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch upgrade for a ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch upgrade for a ls1

Hey hows it going fellas. Im new to the gm world. So heres the thing, my brother just bought an '02 Z28 and the clutch slave cylinder needs to be replaced. So we're thinking of upgrading the clutch at the same time and he had read that the ls7 clutch kit fits his ls1 engine. I looked up the measurements for both clutches and saw that both clutches are identical in size. I wanted to know if anyone else has done this upgrade and can we keep the stock ls1 flywheel. Thanks in advanced
Old 10-14-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm pretty sure you'd need a different flywheel for the ls7 clutch. If it were me I'd use a monster clutch. Everyone that has one has nothing but great things to say about them.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Moving to manual transmission section... be prepared for the Monster love fest
Old 10-15-2014, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
be prepared for the Monster love fest
haha but for good reason
Old 10-16-2014, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need a new flywheel as mentioned to fit the ls7 clutch , and be prepared to add an adjustable master as the shifting issues with the heavier ls7 clutch setup with self adjusting pressure plate on stock hydraulics are very well documented ...

I bought my 6 speed car with the ls7 clutch setup and I do chase those shift blocking issues on mine , haven't had the free cash in the budget to do the adj master but changing clutch fluid weekly helps a lot. Another thought would be to go ls7 with a light flywheel to get the overall clutch/fly weight close to stock ls1/fly weight and maybe that would cure the shift blocking issues at wot since you will already need to buy a flywheel to run the ls7. Of course this puts you in the monster clutch/fly price range which doesn't have an adjustable pressure plate eliminating that potential problem.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

LS7 clutch is a great upgrade for a mild built car. You will need to purchase the entire kit with flywheel. I would also suggest getting an OEM slave for it while its a part.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AMP-D
LS7 clutch is a great upgrade for a mild built car. You will need to purchase the entire kit with flywheel. I would also suggest getting an OEM slave for it while its a part.
No its not.... Almost any aftermarket clutch is better. The shifting issues and increased weight of an ls7 is well documented and for a tad bt extra you can get a base level monster, diamond etc and theres no comparison
Old 10-17-2014, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Contact Tick Performance. They have everything you need to get your brother's Z shifting properly.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
No its not.... Almost any aftermarket clutch is better. The shifting issues and increased weight of an ls7 is well documented and for a tad bt extra you can get a base level monster, diamond etc and theres no comparison
Installed a bunch of them and never had any issues but I always installed new slaves with speed bleeders along with a fresh built transmission.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Launching!

If hes going to keep the car stock, go with a Monster Stage 1, if not, go stage 2. They are great clutches, and they have great customer service. Also, you can order it with the slave cylinder from Tick. and get the speed bleeder line too, it really takes the aggravation out of bleeding the throw out bearing style slave cylinder.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by errod78
Hey hows it going fellas. Im new to the gm world. So heres the thing, my brother just bought an '02 Z28 and the clutch slave cylinder needs to be replaced. So we're thinking of upgrading the clutch at the same time and he had read that the ls7 clutch kit fits his ls1 engine. I looked up the measurements for both clutches and saw that both clutches are identical in size. I wanted to know if anyone else has done this upgrade and can we keep the stock ls1 flywheel. Thanks in advanced
The LS7 clutch will fit the LS1 with a new flywheel. Honestly though even though I sell this clutch there are simply better clutches on the market now. A few years back the clutch was a great price point and a nice upgrade, but with all the stuff available now there are better ways to spend you money and get a better clutch. We offer a full line of clutches that can suite anyone's needs. Personally Ive become a fan of the McLeods because of the performance but have also had good luck with Monster clutches as well. I know through personal experience and looking at overall build quality these two brands of clutches will be far better money spent. Give us a call and we will be happy to help you sort out what you need and find you something to fit you budget. 205-909-9402

Link to Clutch Selection

Old 11-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how does that RST do with the stock Master? I've been eyeing this clutch for awhile now...

I saw your ad/price on CL in Nashville & haven't been able to find it for less any place else.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spent21
how does that RST do with the stock Master? I've been eyeing this clutch for awhile now...

I saw your ad/price on CL in Nashville & haven't been able to find it for less any place else.
Sorry it took a little time to get back to this thread. If you ever have questions don't hesitate to PM me on here. The McLeod clutches do work with the stock master and slave cylinders without any modification or trouble. This hands down would be a great upgrade for your setup that would far exceed your expectations from a clutch.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your going to do a clutch don't waste you time with the ls7 clutch. I would do an aftermarket stage 1 setup with a tick master.If you are planning to do horsepower upgrades I would think ahead and use a stage 2.
I went with a Diamond stage 2 and I am very happy with it.Install a speed bleeder while your at it.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Moving to manual transmission section... be prepared for the Monster love fest
Jeez, ain't this the truth!

I upgraded to a Centerforce Dual Friction for my stock T-56 and it's been fantastic. Super hard grap at high RPMs and enough give under normal DD. It's in my '99 LS1 swapped Camaro and that car is my DD and I drive about 15K/year in Southern California, so I see a decent amount of traffic. After a while anyone would get tired from the clutch pedal, but thankfully the Centerforce is pretty forgiving and light!
Old 11-19-2014, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear monsters are good that's what I'm gunna run but got a fresh LS6 clutch right now.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
Jeez, ain't this the truth!

I upgraded to a Centerforce Dual Friction for my stock T-56 and it's been fantastic. Super hard grap at high RPMs and enough give under normal DD. It's in my '99 LS1 swapped Camaro and that car is my DD and I drive about 15K/year in Southern California, so I see a decent amount of traffic. After a while anyone would get tired from the clutch pedal, but thankfully the Centerforce is pretty forgiving and light!
I had a Stage3 Dual friction on a 525hp 383stroker I ran in a truck for 8 yrs and now problem. I bought this Z and built the motor,went thru 2 junk Rams so tried the Spec 3 clutch. My left leg is now bigger than my right leg! The pedal is much harder than my CF was. My CF felt stock in comparison. I wish I had gone back to it. I have 850tq clamping capacity but geez my poor leg!

Quick Reply: clutch upgrade for a ls1