Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 cooler questions and quest

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 98 z28, t56 ,the cars trans is brand new from rpm and am wanting to add a cooler. However I don't know where exactly on the trans I need to drill or anything so any help finding this would be greatly appreciated. So here are some details on the trans and my goals. It was having problems with 6th not working and 3rd and 4th grinding. The trans was beat badly by previous owner. So I called rpm and drove it over there and waited and hung out with the guys and they helped me decide what I needed to do. Ended up replacing every gear except 1st, the mainshaft, all syncros, all syncro assemblies new, new steel 3/4 fork, all new carbon shift pads, and other odds and ends. The trans was not cheated out on, for a headers car. Now that the trans and suspension are built, next is rearend and engine mods. Engine as is, is rebuilt 5.7 ls1 by me, ported 241's by me, ported tb by me, speed engineering lt's, ls6 valve springs, stock 98 intake painted, aftermarket fuel rails, coupler, slp lid painted, arp rod bolts, arp head bolts, and other odds and ends. Car pulls really good, but I wanna add a new clutch, master, driveshaft, trans mount torque arm relocation bracket, tunnel brace with drive shaft loop, and a short shifter. I will end up with the tick master, and whatever I decide on a clutch. I'm really wanting to add the cooler just want to make sure when I drill and weld a an fitting on that its in the right place. This will be a thread with my results for differences and reviews to doing this mod, so any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Launching!

No one has done this befor? I've searched and searched but cannot find any detailed pics or any info as to were on the trans case you would place the fitting. I've read of the benefits but no detailed info on location
Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tick can probably help you out. heres the thing though why do you need a cooler? the only time t56's ever have an issue with fluid in on hard launches or on road couses where the fluid will drain to the back of the trans and starve the input shaft.

tick can tell you where the pickup would go but the sprayer should be directly on the input shaft gear/bearing, you would also need an external pump to move the fluid
Old 10-27-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are wasting your time with a cooler on the t56.
I have a temp sender in the drain plug at the tail shaft of the T56, on a 100 mile trip in 90° summer the fluid doesn't get over 170°.
unless you're doing the 24 hours of Le Mans, there is no need to worry about T56 fluid temps. the case is all aluminum and it will dissipate heat just fine.
if car is taken to the strip, the 10 to 15 seconds it sees under load is not going to heat up the fluid nor will a cooler then serve any purpose in that situation,
and there is no fluid pump in a manual transmission so there is no way to install a cooler without installing some kind of external pump to pump fluid through a heat exchanger.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
you are wasting your time with a cooler on the t56. I have a temp sender in the drain plug at the tail shaft of the T56, on a 100 mile trip in 90° summer the fluid doesn't get over 170°. unless you're doing the 24 hours of Le Mans, there is no need to worry about T56 fluid temps. the case is all aluminum and it will dissipate heat just fine. if car is taken to the strip, the 10 to 15 seconds it sees under load is not going to heat up the fluid nor will a cooler then serve any purpose in that situation, and there is no fluid pump in a manual transmission so there is no way to install a cooler without installing some kind of external pump to pump fluid through a heat exchanger.
I can't disagree with you more, our transmissions use aft which degrades around and above 170. I drive the car hard, not just drag but hard accel and cornering. I spent enough money that I don't want to injur anything by not taking these steps. If the car was stock and all it saw was daily driving conditions then yes I would agree. But in my case the car is my toy therefor when it is out it isn't being treated like a queen she gets beat, rev limiter and all. I've been in contact with Jeremy from rpm and there are benefits regardless if the car is daily driven or track driven. I do respect and appreciate your input though. I know I'll need a pump as it doesn't have one internally. More then anything I want to loop it I guess, from the drain to whatever spot I need with the pump i between pretty much circulating the fluid, keeping fluid on 3rd and 4th
Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

"degrades" above 170°F or 180°F yeah... for every 10°C increase in temperature the oxidation rate doubles.... but I think you might be taking that out of context. if you truly feel fluid temperature is an issue then a cooler is one way to address the issue, but there are also others- synthetic fluid that can handle those temps is one. And you choose the right viscosity which is step 1 in lubrication.

if it were me before i did anything i would get a reliable temperature reading to know for sure what fluid temps are. I know what mine does and the highest it's ever gotten. what are you going by that makes you think your trans fluid is getting over 200°F for the operating conditions it sees or is going to see?
Dex6 atf handles 200-230° all the time for thousands of miles, and there's millions of cars on the road that prove it.
I recommend you look up some tech articles at machinerylubrication and from noria. the other thing is if you're worried about lack of lubrication based on G forces, the simple solution to that is simply overfill the trans by a quart through the shifter.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Launching!

"degrades" above 170°F or 180°F yeah... for every 10°C increase in temperature the oxidation rate doubles.... but I think you might be taking that out of context. if you truly feel fluid temperature is an issue then a cooler is one way to address the issue, but there are also others- synthetic fluid that can handle those temps is one. And you choose the right viscosity which is step 1 in lubrication. if it were me before i did anything i would get a reliable temperature reading to know for sure what fluid temps are. I know what mine does and the highest it's ever gotten. what are you going by that makes you think your trans fluid is getting over 200°F for the operating conditions it sees or is going to see? Dex6 atf handles 200-230° all the time for thousands of miles, and there's millions of cars on the road that prove it. I recommend you look up some tech articles at machinerylubrication and from noria. the other thing is if you're worried about lack of lubrication based on G forces, the simple solution to that is simply overfill the trans by a quart through the shifter.
I don't want to "overfill" it Theres a reason why you only put so much in there. There is no evidence to support that my trans is getting over 170, and honestly that is irrelevant. The thought that when I'm beating it could cause damage over time to the gears and syncros is something I would rather prevent. I can add two fittings and add the pump and cooler for pretty cheap. I would do all of it my self so that'll save me money. Honestly here's my thinking with the cooler it isn't going to hurt the trans at all, honestly the cooling part though isn't really what I'm concerned about. I'm more concerned that for a period of time 3/4th gear don't have fluid, that's it.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

you mentioned " I've read of the benefits " in your second post,
can you post a link or let me know where you saw that?
I'd be interested in reading about it,

do you plan on drilling holes in the case, or just spray fluid into the fill hole on the driver's side? I'm skeptical about what you're trying to do, but if that's what you want to do best of luck. if i come across those articles explaining gear box lubrication and how it relates to what you're doing i'll post them.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Launching!

you mentioned " I've read of the benefits " in your second post, can you post a link or let me know where you saw that? I'd be interested in reading about it, do you plan on drilling holes in the case, or just spray fluid into the fill hole on the driver's side? I'm skeptical about what you're trying to do, but if that's what you want to do best of luck. if i come across those articles explaining gear box lubrication and how it relates to what you're doing i'll post them.
http://paceperformance.com/images/F73338789.jpg here is a pic of where the fitting would go right after the bell housing. I have read in other threads of people looping the drain into the Fill and there are no drastic effects on temperature. temperature is not a concern was a concern is that third and fourth gear being starved, considering that I am constantly beating the car I want that to be prevented so that's really the only reason I'm willing to do this
Old 10-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I can see the potential of syncro damage under high G loads ( similar to running the trans dry) so any way to circulate the fluid to the top of the trans would be an improvement. I recall hearing of a fluid pump for the T56 a few years ago but not having one at the time I never looked into it. I will start looking around for lubrication options and let you know if I find anything.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

Seems like a great idea to add a cooler, will keep a eye on this thread for sure.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cooler is not necessarily needed but a pump in a high horsepower car isn't a bad idea at all. I don't recommend conventional ATF in our transmissions either. We use Royal Purple Synchromax and a few of our high horsepower customers Amsoil synthetic ATF. These fluids will resist heat much better. The main purpose of the pump system in a T56 is to recirculate the fluid back to the front of the case on hard launches. On hard launches the input and 4th gear on the cluster can be completely uncovered as the fluid rushes to the back of the case. The pump system keeps spraying fluid onto the input and cluster to keep them from running dry.

This thread has a lot of great information from the fastest T56 guys out there.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...h-hp-cars.html
Old 10-31-2014, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
A cooler is not necessarily needed but a pump in a high horsepower car isn't a bad idea at all. I don't recommend conventional ATF in our transmissions either. We use Royal Purple Synchromax and a few of our high horsepower customers Amsoil synthetic ATF. These fluids will resist heat much better. The main purpose of the pump system in a T56 is to recirculate the fluid back to the front of the case on hard launches. On hard launches the input and 4th gear on the cluster can be completely uncovered as the fluid rushes to the back of the case. The pump system keeps spraying fluid onto the input and cluster to keep them from running dry.

This thread has a lot of great information from the fastest T56 guys out there.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...h-hp-cars.html
exactly i dont think anyone here told the op a pump was a bad idea because he could starve the front gears, although unlikely at his power level. a cooler isnt needed because the t56 isnt getting hot enough to degrade fluid, its a waste of money and added weight
Old 11-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redbird555
exactly i dont think anyone here told the op a pump was a bad idea because he could starve the front gears, although unlikely at his power level. a cooler isnt needed because the t56 isnt getting hot enough to degrade fluid, its a waste of money and added weight
I've already stated several time that the cooling isn't my main concern, what is however is keeping fluid on 3rd and 4th gears.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stoning_volcom
I've already stated several time that the cooling isn't my main concern, what is however is keeping fluid on 3rd and 4th gears.
People will assume otherwise after reading that you would really like to add a cooler.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 06vzssthunder
People will assume otherwise after reading that you would really like to add a cooler.
seriously? Well the if your able to read you will understand that I stated I would like to add a TrAns cooler then proceeded to say about four times that looping it and keeping fluid on those gears is my main concern
Old 11-05-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would be interested in knowing more about a cooler and gear/main shaft lubrication enhancements. I have an M6 from an F car in my full size truck. I was do some searching for a new Magnum T56 and talked to one dealer about warranty concerns if I towed a light RV. The dealer said they could warranty heavy duty use from high performance driving but not for towing mainly because the lubrication system is adequate for shock loading but the transmission is not designed for the shearing that towing loads introduce. I want to keep the T56 because the ratios really work for my type of driving.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tap into the trans using the drain/fill plug holes. There are a number of pumps that will work, and I would suggest a Setrab cooler with an electric fan.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bilster
I would be interested in knowing more about a cooler and gear/main shaft lubrication enhancements. I have an M6 from an F car in my full size truck. I was do some searching for a new Magnum T56 and talked to one dealer about warranty concerns if I towed a light RV. The dealer said they could warranty heavy duty use from high performance driving but not for towing mainly because the lubrication system is adequate for shock loading but the transmission is not designed for the shearing that towing loads introduce. I want to keep the T56 because the ratios really work for my type of driving.
ya no doubt i enjoy the t56 alot its a gret trans for sure, as for the drain to fill ive read there are no benefits to that with a cooler, the whole idea is to keep fluid on the 4th and 3rd gears and they're corresponding commponents.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Teching In

I'm adding a cooler and pump to my setup because mine IS a race car that will see a ton of rowing of gears on a road course. Lots of "expert" opinions here. Let's argue about which motor oil is best next, mkay?

The guy wants to keep fluid over 3rd/4th gear... I don't see the concern. AND if other people read and get the wrong impression who cares about their inability to comprehend what the hell has been stated?

Sometimes I read these threads and think I'm on an import tuning board...

Quick Reply: T56 cooler questions and quest