Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help Tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Tranny ?

Got on it this morning 1st fine 2nd fine went to hit 3rd and let the clutch out and it acted like it was in neutral (though I never hit rev limiter).
Now, I know your thinking I probably wasn't in the gate b/c I have let out too soon b4 and grinded once or twice b4 but while my car was coasting i had to pull the shifter out of the 3rd gate and it felt harder to pull back into neutral than normal???????? Its driving fine right now so if anybody could shed some light as to what the hell happend i would appreciate it!
Old 07-19-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you found the mystery gear... sometimes that will happen where you think you shifted into third but a bent shift fork doesn't take it to the right place. It mostly happens in the shift to third. I say keep driving it and as long as you're not getting grinding, don't worry about it... unless you want to pay to have someone tear down the transmission for big bucks but that's up to you.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Hummmm...bent shift fork ay? What causes it to bend? I don't by all means consider myself a T56 jedi but i am pretty quick and accurate while shifting. Could I have done something to bend the fork and didn't know it?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

It could happen from slamming third gear or missing a shift (which we're less prone to remembering if it doesn't grind). The stock shift forks are weak as hell, it doesn't take much to bend em, that's for sure.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
It could happen from slamming third gear or missing a shift (which we're less prone to remembering if it doesn't grind). The stock shift forks are weak as hell, it doesn't take much to bend em, that's for sure.
Can you get aftermarket shift forks and just pop them in without much trouble? How much do they run ~~?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can get steel shift forks, not sure how involved of a process that it is though... maybe someone can chime in that's done this or had it done before. All I know is that when I had my 1-2 synchro replaced it cost around $600 to tear the tranny down install it and put it back together. These POS's aren't cheap to fix.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not a problem. Anyone know where to get steel shift forks? I remember there is a transmission place that a lot of people use on here but can't remember the name.

Quick Reply: Help Tranny ?