Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Cartek, Spec, Ram,or Mcleod

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Cartek, Spec, Ram,or Mcleod

General opinions question here......which is the overall best based on experience??? i.e. chatter, driveablitiy, durability etc. just wondering if there is a general consensus on any one brand, i've searched on the different brands but i wanted group opinions in one thread in order to compare, so thanks in advance
Old 08-04-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

I tried 2 SPEC's stage 3 Carbon/Carbon, 1 Mcloed Kevlar/Organic. Pedal feel goes to SPEC... Firm and accurate compared to the mushiness of the Mcloed especially when it gets hot. Durability goes to Mcloed over SPEC. Two SPEC's lasted 2000 miles only compared to 8000+ miles on the Mcloed and it was working until i replaced it with the Textraila. The chatter on the SPEC will knock your teeth out while Mcloed is way smoother.

The Textraila is still new, but so far i like the pedal feel better than the SPEC and there is no chatter. Im still breaking in the clutch before i go all out and try it.

My vote goes to the Mcloed over the SPEC.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I am on my 3rd SPEC in 8000 miles. S3 Ceramic that lasted about 6K 1 S4F that welded itself to the FW at 900 miles and another S4F that welded at 1400 miles. The last S4F is still in the car and working. I will try it at the track again on Sunday.

I will either go McLeod dual disk or A3. Not sure what yet.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:55 PM
wrencher

McLeod or Ram, what where the other 2 ??
Old 08-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Launching!

i appreciate all the input you guys,if you look at my sig....that is the power and torque level i'm at right now, but come dec. or jan i'll have my cam and ****....i don't hardcore race the car or anything.....mostly just a street car that i drive pretty hard....so based on the future power/torque level and my driving habit's would that change anyone's recommendation?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:05 PM
wrencher

No it wouldn't. You get what you pay for in the clutch dept. IMO.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

I have the ram HD/billet fly.It was nice for 60 miles with a firm pedal and then seemed to chatter and take some concentration form stoplights even with 4.10's.After about 400 miles it went back to day one and I can ease away from a stop with little trouble unless the car is really hot with many stop/goes.The release point and pedal feel is top notch with awesome dragstrip manners and hold.I used a new slave/master with no shims.I love it.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slpss9723
i appreciate all the input you guys,if you look at my sig....that is the power and torque level i'm at right now, but come dec. or jan i'll have my cam and ****....i don't hardcore race the car or anything.....mostly just a street car that i drive pretty hard....so based on the future power/torque level and my driving habit's would that change anyone's recommendation?
If u arent taking the car to a drag strip then just stick with a Z06 clutch for street use.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RAM-lasted 1k miles.Real heavy peddle which sucked in traffic.clutch welded to flywheel.

SPEC- Reg 3's suck,chatter like hell. Stage 3f is very smooth. Stage 5 is awesome except the slight squeel while taking off.

Cartek- Pretty smooth with a very fine engagement point.Haven't tried one in my own car but they held up good in friends cars.

Mcleod- Installed 4 in 1 winter. 2 exploded and the other 2 had crappy feel and changing engagement point's.Finally the clutches didn't disengage all the way so we dumped them.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Launching!

well the Z06 is what it has now, will it hold up to the new hp/torque numbers she'll have after the cam install?? if so what will the drill mod do to help anything.....i've done a search and couldn't find anything that described exactly what it does.....other than "removes the restriction GM thought was a good idea"
Old 08-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Launching!

I have a McCleod single disc, the first ones out for the LS1, has about 10k miles on it. Its smooth as glass, has a light, consistant pedal feel(ie spongy) and has held 546rwhp. I have only made about 10 passes with it. I am not overly confident on its longetivity at the strip but on the street its awesome. Absolutely no chatter. I hope it holds up. I might try a McCleod twin next
Old 08-06-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Spec stage 3 in my car right now, it"s been in for about a year and a half, it has a little chatter to it on take off, but other than that have had no problems with it. My car sees some track time and alot of hard street time and the Spec is holding up just fine.

Quick Reply: Cartek, Spec, Ram,or Mcleod