Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhut-Ro :sigh:

Car: 2001 Camaro SS

Transmission: Cartek Built T56 with about 1000 miles on it

Clutch: Cartek NEW DESIGN Clutch with about 1000 miles on it

Here is the issue: 3rd gear grinds now

Here is the Story:

I took the car out today for an idle video of what a non cammed camaro sounds like and while the wife was video'ing.. i decided to try my luck on a john force burnout without linelock. You know the kind.. off the clutch as fast as possible and onto the brake with the left foot and gas the **** out of it on the right foot.

Well I was doing about 6000 in first and tried to shift into second but it grinded ? Ok I let off. I try again in second gear and around 6 grand i let the brake go and try to bang third.. grrrrriiiind!

Hmmph.. I decide to just take the car home. Maybe the clutch is hot and slipping or something.. On the way home i kept grinding into 3rd. Sometimes 5th as well as 6th. It would go in but not without a healthy grind.

1 and 2 are fine.. Clutch still grabs like a ****.. but rd gear was CONSISTANTLY grinding to the point I just started to skip that gear and go to fourth from second. 4th gave me no problems and 5th and 6th finally stopped grinding.

I got home.. and with the car on but not moving I rifled through the gears without one grinding sound.. Hmmmph.. Like I said I didnt let go of the clutch obviously since I would have stalled being in lets say 3rd gear from a stop.. but still it didnt grind while being stopped.

Now this clutch is supposed to be carteks best out there. Is there an issue with the clutch? or the trans?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Banned

Sounds like it time for some new synchros in your trans.

Thats what doing John Force style burnouts will do for ya
Old 08-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

its a built trans from cartek though. It is meant to be able to handle all I can throw at her.

Its a stock engine.. 6 grand first gear burnout shouldnt blow up a built t56..

If it is sychro's that is shot.. booooo to cartek then.

In all fairness.. I cant say cartek is bad YET. But if it proves to be the trans..

I only did what ANYONE at the track would do.. light them bitches up and get ready for a hard launch.. no spray, no boost.. no nothing.. stock engine blowing up built t56's?

Hmmmm
Old 08-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Banned

stiiiiiiiill grinding into 3rd

I think I may need a rebuild

Anyone know of a GOOD place to get a BUILT T56 that can withstand lets say 550-650 rwhp and boost? Not that I have that now.. but I dont want to have to rebuild again in the future.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:44 PM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by Wyckedcamaro
stiiiiiiiill grinding into 3rd

I think I may need a rebuild

Anyone know of a GOOD place to get a BUILT T56 that can withstand lets say 550-650 rwhp and boost? Not that I have that now.. but I dont want to have to rebuild again in the future.
I'm guessing synkro keys or the whole synkro suffered catastrophic failure. My 3-4 synkro keys are messed up right now so I will tear the tranny apart myself and fix it (not gonna learn any younger) so I know what I have going on in there. Manual boxes are pretty easy and it sure wont fix it's self. Good Luck to ya, Tom
Old 08-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Teching In

If it were mine, I would check the adjustable master cylinder 1st and see if it can be moved a little. Maybe the clutch isn't disengaging all the way and that would be free + easy.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Good luck fixing the trans. And next time you try doing a 2nd or 3rd gear burnout, get a linelock first. It's a lot easier that way.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Banned

Hey guys.. Ok some things to touch on..

1)- Adj. Manual I have from cartek.. we adj the crap out of it.. no good.

2)- The rod on the adj master is bent and continues to bend when I press the clutch in I need a new one now

3)- The trans still grinds...

Does ANYONE know of a really good trans builder who can make a trans withstand 600 rwhp?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:07 PM
10 Second Moderator

I'm doing mine myself so I know what I'm getting and I know what I got. Good luck to ya, Tom
Old 08-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Banned

thanks.

thinking of throwing in....

steel 3-4 fork
billet steel keys
carbon fiber blockers