Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what rpm do you take off at from a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what rpm do you take off at from a stop?

ok, i guess im a very shitty stick shift driver. When i take of from a stop, if i dont go above at least 1k rpm, im assuming its the tranny or clutch that is shaking???dont know if any1 knows what im talkn bout. anyways, where do all of you 6-speed drivers usually take off from from a stop...i.e. what rpm do you take off at???does any1 go above 1.5k rpm???thanks in advance.....
Old 10-18-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreekGator
does any1 go above 1.5k rpm???
Interesting question to ask on a board full of drag racers...

You mean in just normal driving, or are you trying to launch? In normal driving, I just step on the gas a release the clutch. I don't pay much attention to the RPM. If something is shaking, my guess is that you're either letting out the clutch too fast, or not giving it enough gas (bogging down) when you release the clutch.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha, yea i meant normal driving. Yes, i know im not giving it enough gas sometimes, but it seems to me that i shouldnt have to go to 1.3-1.4k rpms to start rolling, but if i only go about 1k, it bogs. AHHHHHH, i really want an auto BAD!!!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

I just let the clutch out and dont really give it any gas, shift out of first around 1k rpms to make sure not to hit the skip shift. If I am starting in second (which I find myself doing more) I usually give it a little gas and ride the clutch a little more but still not over 1.5k
Old 10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like someone else said, I just "go". But I'd say the rpms are usually around 1k when I take off easy from say a stoplight. The more aggressive that I am driving, the higher rpm I take off at......to a point.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how do you not give it any gas????? could u please explain that to me?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

As FlaminChiten mentioned, I just let off the clutch, and thats with my 3.4, the LS1 should have way more torque to get you going off the line from a stop.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

You can take off without using any gas, just let the clutch out slowly, the torque of the engine will get the car moving (with an LS1 it's easy) then you can add gas to get up to speed.
Sounds like the best thing for you to do is find a deserted parking lot, and practice till it's second nature.
That's how my dad taught me to drive a stick, mall parking lot, early sunday morning, nothing to hit or mess with, just learning how to use a clutch
Old 10-18-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm, i will have to try that. i know how to drive stick, but i dont think im efficient at it by any means. so i just slowly let the clutch out and let it start going and give gas as needed? TIA
Old 10-18-2005, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

just let out the clutch untill you feel the engine starting to grab, this is when you add throttle and let the clutch out. I usually get it to grab from 800-900rpm, never above 1000rpm because thats what kills the clutch.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GreekGator
hmmm, i will have to try that. i know how to drive stick, but i dont think im efficient at it by any means. so i just slowly let the clutch out and let it start going and give gas as needed? TIA
Sorry thought you were new to manual tranny cars
But yes that's exactly what you do, you'll feel the clutch grab then give it some gas
Old 10-18-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flaminchiten67
shift out of first around 1k rpms to make sure not to hit the skip shift.
[offtopic] If Skip Shift bothers you that much, why don't you get rid of it? It only takes a few minutes, a small amount of electrical tape, and a $1 part from Radio Shack. (Click !CAGS in my sig for instructions) When I went to Radio Shack, they only had the resistors in packs of 5. If you want, I'll mail you one and save you the trip since I have no use for the other 4. [/offtopic]
Old 10-18-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Are you on the stock clutch or an aftermarket? If you answered the latter, then it is most likely chatter you're experiencing (seems to be the norm with aftermarket clutches). If you're on the stocker, that didn't happen to me on my stock clutch, so I can't help there.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

I usually keep the rpm's around 1k when taking off gently from a stop. If your car start to shake, give it more gas. simple. Also, if I may add from my personal experience, when I bought the car, I had to get my flywheel resurfaced. The car had been sitting in the previous' owner's garage for too long and clutch matter had built up. It would shake pretty badly in 1st when starting from a stop.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:42 AM
TECH Resident

I pull the clutch to the begining of the friction point once it is there I simultaniously (sp?) let off the clutch and give it gas at the same time. I experience no chatter, the car never bogs down. I've never paid attention to the rpm for as I'm looking at the road ahead I'll make a mental note of looking at the rpms.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by komik
[offtopic] If Skip Shift bothers you that much, why don't you get rid of it? It only takes a few minutes, a small amount of electrical tape, and a $1 part from Radio Shack. (Click !CAGS in my sig for instructions) When I went to Radio Shack, they only had the resistors in packs of 5. If you want, I'll mail you one and save you the trip since I have no use for the other 4. [/offtopic]
Ya I've been meaning too but wont get to it till I go to my parents house where I can do it without crawling under my car in the rain soaked parking lot of my apartment
Old 10-21-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I tend give about 2% - 4% throttle just to bring it a hair above idle and immediately let out about 15% - 20% clutch engagement and hold it there. I then feather the throttle to keep the rpms at 900 - 1000 until the car comes up to speed. The clutch is now up to speed and I just take my foot off completely. I have experienced slight chatter with my stock z06 clutch on a hot day after some hard driving. Some 4.10 gears made driving the car so much easier and much more fun. As for the shaking, if its not chatter, maybe youre just bogging the engine too far down? IMHO, theres nothing wrong with starting at 1500+ rpm.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:38 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have not read this thread, check it out.

My stock clutch is grabby and was quite bad when I got the car a year ago. I think the original owner beat on it. With my driving the clutch behaviour has improved a lot as it wears off the damaged bits. If my car is started cold and idling at 950 RPM I can start off quite easily without the gas, its still a slow putt-putt start but it does it fine. Warmed up and idling at the stock 750 RPM (as indicated by stock tach) its much harder. It initially engages smoothly but grabs part way down and bogs the engine unless I am on the gas or being really careful, I wouldn't do it in normal driving. I think there is a wide variety of clutch behaviour even among stock clutches. I add gas and restrain the engine progressively with the clutch as I start off and the engine sits around 1000-1100 I think and then rises again once my foot is off the clutch.

It may be the clutch more than you think, how long have you had the car. Until my clutch started getting smoother, my LS1 was one of the roughest clutches I had ever driven. I park on a lift every day and have to crawl up a small ramp very slowly so I know just how good or bad the grabbiness is. In normal driving its fine, crawling up the ramps it grabs still.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Launching!

rev it to 4K and dump it

since i have a stage 3 clutch in my car if i dont rev it to about 2K it chatters so thats where i slip it at, or i have to work it alot to get it smooth at lower rpms
Old 10-21-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It may be the clutch more than you think, how long have you had the car. Until my clutch started getting smoother, my LS1 was one of the roughest clutches I had ever driven. I park on a lift every day and have to crawl up a small ramp very slowly so I know just how good or bad the grabbiness is. In normal driving its fine, crawling up the ramps it grabs still.
ive had the car for over 18 months. when i bought it it had all stock parts. After about 5k miles, i had a spec 3 put in and kept the stock flywheel. About 2k miles ago, the flywheel took a **** so i replaced everything with RAM parts and had a new master put in as well. I tried just letting off the clutch slowly and it does work. im going to keep practicing this.

Also, can someone please explain to me what doubleclutching is and how its done???

Quick Reply: what rpm do you take off at from a stop?