Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

intermitent low clutch pedal engagment

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermitent low clutch pedal engagment

Hey all my problem is the clutch pedal engaged 2 inches off the floor when the clutch was first installed. Now 400miles later it is engaging at the floor. If I push the clutch in all the way the car doesent move at idle but if I gas it to 4000rpm with the clutch on the floor it will creep forward(still draging). So I bled it with the mityvac and it started engaging 2 inches off the floor again for about a minute then engagment went back to the floor again. Is it AIR, is my new RAM master bad, is my new slave bad? It is getting to the point that if im at high rpm dont even think about shifting. and reverse ya right. the hydraulics are not leaking fluid and the clutch does not slip.

Parts. brand new
slave 02
Ram master
brand new clutch flywheel and pressure plate.
all new fluid
bled many times with mity vac and old method

going to try the pump the pedal acouple times leave it at the top, crack the bleeder on the slave, then push the pedal to the floor. of course closing the bleeder port while the pedal is on the floor and repeating. Please any help or Ideas would be great.

Last edited by roadrash9r; 12-27-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:41 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem and I was always constantly pulling air out with the mity vac. I wish that there was a manual clutch cable conversion for these cars...I sure as hell would buy one!

Have you had it gravity bled? I have heard that this method works really well. You might be a candidate for the drill mod as well. Is that master adjustable like the mcleod one?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

ya the master is adjustable. I constantly pull very small air bubbles out with the mity vac too. Gonna do a full system bleed today and take a look a the PP . Il keep you all posted.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

bled it bled it bled it. Finaly I feel how hard the pedal is suppose to be. Got rid of most of the loose feel at the top of the pedal. also I bled it using the bleeder valve on the slave and the mity vac afterwards. I went through a large bottle of brake fluid when bleeding using the slave bleeder and guess what I am still pulling air out with the mity vac. I am pushing the clutch in and out with 23inchs of vacume on it. With vacume applied, after a few cycles of the clutch pedal there should be no resistance, I still had some, at the bottom of the travel. LOTS OF AIR!!!! I cycled it for 2 hours and got a completely loose pedal, so air can cause resistance even under vacume. Then I released the pressure with the mity vac trigger and pumped the pedal.... hard as a rock. drove, still a little bit of engagment problems but alot better. mity vac again and more air. big bubbles. drove it and it was even better. problem I have is that there was so much air how could fluid even be in the line? Well im gonna do it again tommorow wish me luck. please any one with info on the ammount of air or how many times they had to mity vac please let me know.

I have a new master and slave and clutch. and I clamped the line at the master and resivoir. I also insulated the line. I have no fluid leaking and no fluid loss. Still engaging low but not as low and it is not slipping at all.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

getting a bigger problem now. If I dont mity vac everyday the engagment problem is there. think the slave is bad but wouldnt I loose fluid? also would the mity vac hold 24" if the hydraulics had a leak??
Old 12-31-2005, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you loctite the PP?
If not it might be loose. Mine came loose and would occasionally engage right at the floor. It would move due to being loose an bind on the dowels. The car wouldn't shift at high rpms also
Old 01-01-2006, 06:08 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you could let it sit overnight at 23psi and see how much bleeds off. Mine was bleeding off alot the first few times I did it, then all of a sudden it held full pressure for about 15 hours straight. then I stopped having the problem. weird.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

ya Im going to look at the PP bolts. I torqued them to gm specs and the star of david pattern. Hopefully I can just snug them back up if it came loose. also can a master cyl. pass fluid by the seals internaly without leaking externaly? Its wierd I get a rock solid pedal then after a short drive it goes loose then it will come back. could this be the PP being loose causing the pedal to get soft then hard again?
really apreciate the responses.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

ttt....

Quick Reply: intermitent low clutch pedal engagment