Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec stage 5 streetable???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec stage 5 streetable???

hey everyone, im purchasing my new clutch and i was wondering how streetable a spec stage 5 really is??? engine is a 408 with direct port system, should be around 800 to the wheels...

im not asking what clutch i should buy.. just asking if a stage 5 clutch is a decently streetable clutch once its broken in and i learn to drive it??
Old 01-10-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Give yourself a little time to get used to the engagement and you'll be fine.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Teching In

It will be either in or out. Will be hard to slip it any to get going.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

you think about the textrilla?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a stg 2 to a 5 and there was not that big of a difference. Glad I did, this clutch has been great, no problems on the street. Have not been to the track yet, but this clutch grabs and hold great!!! Dose not have that bad of a on-off engagement. Pedal feel is great with a good height. Do not have a problem with slipping on start, really not needed. I could see if it were installed behind a motor with lower Hp &Tq. t Then there might be a issue.
Wife even drives the car in town with no problems and she is only 5', with little legs, no complaints yet.

I will tell you this be prepared for a nasty squeal for a while until it becomes broken in. Not that there is a brake in period. Took about 800-1000 miles for the squeal to dissipate. Is still there now and then. Nothing you can do about it, due to the disc material.

FWIW make sure to use new PP and FW bolts with loc-tite!!!!!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll also be running a spec 5 in my full on DD. The feedback so far is encouraging.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

It is a streetable clutch, there is no chatter, I love mine for that fact and figured I'd finally found my clutch but the question is do you want to take a chance on the kaboom factor of the pressure plate. So many have disintegrated lately I have decided to pull mine out before my legs get cut off.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
It is a streetable clutch, there is no chatter, I love mine for that fact and figured I'd finally found my clutch but the question is do you want to take a chance on the kaboom factor of the pressure plate. So many have disintegrated lately I have decided to pull mine out before my legs get cut off.
how many have? what are you going to?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

I have the spec 5 in my car and it is one of the most streetable clutches I have felt. I have about 1300 miles on mine and about 50 track passes of hard and soft launches. Hopefully it doesn't grenade and gets lots of miles.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.nastyss.com/html/fbodyframe.html

click on the clutch link....
Old 01-16-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SporkLover
http://www.nastyss.com/html/fbodyframe.html

click on the clutch link....

Damn dude you have been through alot of clutches, My story went like this

ls6
centerforce dual friction
ram 910 vds
Spec stage V

and now I am gonna try the textralia which I just ordered although I was sooooo close to getting the 12 inch disc dual friction cause I like you liked that clutch and it never gave me any problems.

The Spec V though you said chattered on you? I have never got any chatter with it at all not ever not even 1 time. All I get is the squeal like you also got but never any chatter. Everybody would look at me funny when i left a stop light etc but still with no chatter and the super power holding capability I thought I had found my clutch. I am just so sad about all the pressure plate explosions lately that after this last one I just got too concerned and I don't want to take the chance although any clutch is probably a chance to be honest.

crappiest clutch I ever had was the ram 910 VDS aka chatter box. I hated everything about that clutch including the 2k miles I put on it before it broke. That damn thing chattered so bad my headers would hit off the k member lol. Oh well now that I know I need more of a street clutch I am still worried about this textralia. If this thing goes fast I'm going back to centerforce but the 12 inch disc.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
hey everyone, im purchasing my new clutch and i was wondering how streetable a spec stage 5 really is??? engine is a 408 with direct port system, should be around 800 to the wheels...

im not asking what clutch i should buy.. just asking if a stage 5 clutch is a decently streetable clutch once its broken in and i learn to drive it??
IMHO: Definitely streetable. No chatter. No on/off. No slip. The only negative on the street is the stage 5 squeak but if you can deal with that it is totally streetable. Mine is in a daily driver.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 AM
9 Second Club

I have about 15000 miles on my stage 5 with a little above 600 rwhp (daily beating) and now at 700 rwhp it still hasn't skipped a beat, and Im gonna put more to it. Mine doesn't chatter, doesn't squeal, I dunno, maybe I got lucky.....

Quick Reply: Spec stage 5 streetable???