Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

need some tips!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need some tips!

i havent driven a manual in 3 yrs, and i was wondering if anyone had some tips to help me get back in the groove of things since i am doing my manual swap this weekend! so any advice is helpful, and appreciated. the last manual i drove was a honda , but now with my camaro (425hp/460trq) i will need all the help i can get so that i can get back in the groove of things like going up hills from a stop and stuff like that! all help is very much appreciated!

thanks!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

It's like riding a bicycle. You don't forget. Just a "bit" different from the Honda. All I can say is, drive it. You'll get used to it quickly.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go and drive it. I would not suggest in-town/ congested traffic at first but seat time is all it takes.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by calhoon
Just go and drive it. I would not suggest in-town/ congested traffic at first but seat time is all it takes.

well the thing is that there is a hill with a stoplight on it! and its the only way out to the street where i live! i need to know if there is any tips to go up the hill from a dead stop without rolling back too far, or burning out all the time...and on the other way out there is a steeper hill! so im screwed!

thanks for all the help to those who replied!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Launching!

all i can say is
let the clutch out alittle till u see the rpm drop alittle, and then give it gas...but i dont know how else....i just did that when i was learning to drive.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:23 PM
mcG
TECH Resident

like barracuda said...at a stop on a steep incline, i hold one foot on the brake and the other let the clutch out until you feel it catch...then hold the clutch there while you move your right foot to the gas and slowly give it gas and ease up on the clutch. just give it some practice in a parking lot if you can if you wanna re-familiarize yourself with it!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My firehawk is my first car with a manual transmission, havent driven a stick car in at least five years but these cars work like second nature. They are so easy, I would argue it is easier to work the clutch on these cars than it is on small economy cars...just my opinion but it will be easy just dont go into it being afraid of it...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Keysplayr
It's like riding a bicycle. You don't forget. Just a "bit" different from the Honda. All I can say is, drive it. You'll get used to it quickly.

my dad didnt drive a manual car for almost 30 years, and he got in my car and drove it perfectly
Old 06-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

awesome! thanks to everyone for all your help! i really appreciate it!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2001+ cars that came with the z06 clutch is gonna be pretty grabby compared to an import. Instead of letting out in a smooth continuous upward leg motion, try this:

give it a little gas while you start to let out on the clutch. As soon as you feel it just begin to engage, pause the upward motion of your left leg for a couple seconds. The clutch will be semi engaged while the tranny and engine rpms sync up. After a couple seconds when theyre synced up, lift your leg the rest of the way.

Pausing your clutch in the semi-engaged point will make it easier to get adjusted to a grabbier clutch.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

If all else fails, 4k dump...
Old 06-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

haha! thanks!

Quick Reply: need some tips!