Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new clutch and tranny wont slide back in???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new clutch and tranny wont slide back in???

I just installed my stage 4 spec and im trying to slide the tranny back in and it gets to about 1 inch away and wont go any further, what the hell am i missing or doing wrong here, I need the car it is my daily driver please someone help!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:22 AM
Launching!

Well, before you tightened up the pressure plate bolts did you make sure that your clutch was lined up perfect? You have to use that clutch alignment tool to line it up with the pilot bearing. I'm guessing that its off just a little bit.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:10 AM
Launching!

Well it is late, I don't think many people are browsing right now, so I will do what I can. I am no expert but, have had to deal with this, so here it goes...

First off make sure everything is lined up correctly. Have you tried gently rocking/wiggling the transmission to make sure its "splined" up? Are the dowels stopping you? I know gently wiggling 125 pounds seems absurd but I think you know what I mean.

From what I have read and what I have gone through, it seems like the problem is with there being pressure in the hydraulic system. The throw out bearing is contacting the fingers of the pressure plate before the transmission can reach the bellhousing and you cannot push hard enough to to compress the the fingers of the pressure plate.

When I had this problem, and was sure everything was lined up, I just started all the bolts by hand, then tightened them down. If you do it this way, make sure you are doing it evenly. Use the same method you would use when you bolting a wheel on.

Hope this helps man! When its your only car and you need it, things can get stressful. I have been there, its no fun.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:24 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your clutch will go onto the flywheel one way, and you will need to make sure you used this also:

Old 07-24-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem. Everything was aligned perfectly, but the damn tranny would not budge for the last inch. Take out the tranny again and re-tighten the bolts to the clutch and everything so that the alignment tool fits freely and has some room to wiggle while still maintaning everything straight. Once everything is bolted up, the tranny should slide right in. My pressure plate was kind of sagging, remember to tighten everything in a criss cross pattern.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:26 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also spray some WD-40 on the dowel pins and in the end of the transmission dowel pin recepticle. You did take the bell housing off of the transmission right? Cause that would make it a HUGE PITA if not.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok i realigned the disk with the tool and it goes in and out freely, went to put the tranny in and still the same thing goes in till it touches the slave on the pressure plate fingers and wont go any further? It is straight and everything like that just wont budge, I cant even start the bolts, do you guys think it might be hitting or getting stuck on the pilot bearing?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

did you push up a little on the clutch alignment tool before you started to torque it all down??

If not the pressure plate CAN move a little while being torqued which will make it unaligned a little.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

This sounds familar to me. What you need to do is purchase longer bolts and tighten them down criss cross pattern, then once its close enough put your regular bolts in. This is the method I had to use to get mine in. Good Luck.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The clutch alignment tools are not perfect.All you have to be is a titty hair off and it won't go in.I've used bolt's to pull it in before,now I have an actual input shaft which is 100% better for aligning.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I did mine the throwout bearing keep it from lining up properly. Try using the longer bolts to help contract the bearing spring.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

If your sure the clutch is centered with alignment tool, be sure the tranny is going in perfectly straight. If its tipped up /down or side to side any at all it will not go all the way in.
I usally find the tranny is actually off center even when using a tranny jack and I have to raise the tail shaft slightly before it goes in alll the way.
Good Luck
Ryan
Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Well if it isn't close enough to start the bolts, I don't think the throw out bearing is hitting the pressure plate yet. I could be wrong because it might depend on the clutch/pressure plate, I honestly don't know on that one. I have never installed a Spec clutch.

The thing is, when you remove the transmission from the block, the back of the engine raises up because the lack of wieght. So to get everything to line up, the tranny needs to be higher than you might think. Try lifting up on the back of the transmission while wiggling it around to make sure.

If you are local to the STL, MO area PM me and I can stop by to help, if you want. I just quit my job because I am moving soon, so I have some free time.

On a side note, I never thought about using an input shaft as an alignment tool. Gives a new meaning to grabbing 4th gear. LOL
Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks again for the help guys I will try again in the morning but its late so off to bed I go!