Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

a 3rd gear grind!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default a 3rd gear grind!

hey guys when im in neutral ideling since i have a poly tranny mount, i can hear my input shaft spinning, so if i press the clutch and jus put it into 3rd gear it would grind SOMETIMES, but mostly it grinds, and when driving it only grinds when i shift fast at high rpm! and sometimes after i get off a long drive on the freeway 3rd gear is like butter, im thinking it is the syncro! what do u guys think? thanks
Old 12-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

anybody wanna help (=
Old 12-09-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont really know what the problem is. I just know I have the same problem. When my trans is really cold, 3rd will grind with just normal, easy driving. And if the trans isnt real warm, I cant beat on it at all without it grinding. But yea, after cruising on a highway for awhile the gears will be like butter.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

yea man mine jus does it when i force it in 3rd hard sometimes! im guessing the freeway thing is because there is alot more lubercation on the gears, but im not sure what the problem is? i guess imma rebuild my tranny when i change my stock clutch (=
Old 12-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Your clutch is about to give out. When you change the clutch it will stop grinding.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

My clutch is new thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2000 models came with an aluminum 3-4 shift fork, My car did that before I changed my shift fork. Actually it eventually would go into third. 3 years later I experienced the same thing with 6th and it progressively got worse. T56 rebuilds said that my 6th gear was chewed up. Either way, someone is going into your trans, especially since your clutch is new. Tranny's cost 1100 and up so first I'd invest in a mity vac like I did and try to rebleed the clutch. Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The grinding is probably due to a worn blocker ring. If it continues to grind it may damage the actual gear and the 3/4 slider assembly. If you were having trouble with the car jumping out of gear along with the grinding I would say that the fork may be bent or the fork pads were worn.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
The grinding is probably due to a worn blocker ring. If it continues to grind it may damage the actual gear and the 3/4 slider assembly. If you were having trouble with the car jumping out of gear along with the grinding I would say that the fork may be bent or the fork pads were worn.
You're right I'm stupid. I forgot that my car was actually jumping out of 3rd. That was the actual problem when it was the shift fork, and my six gear gave the grinding sound and wouldn't go in when it was a damaged 6th gear.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

i never get the popping out of gear or anything, jus a 3rd is a little stiff in normal driving, its only when i do fast shift by forceing the gear in hard, then it grinds sometimes
Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

another problem that is often experienced is the too common soft pedal after a hard launch and inability to hit third in a quarter mile. Now that, on the other hand, is usually a clutch problem. Some say it's cured by the drill mod. Others needed a new clutch.... and others needed the mity vac
Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
You're right I'm stupid. I forgot that my car was actually jumping out of 3rd. That was the actual problem when it was the shift fork, and my six gear gave the grinding sound and wouldn't go in when it was a damaged 6th gear.
The reply I gave was not directed at you. It was intended to help ae13291 diagnose the problem he is having. With that said, a bent shift fork will not cause a gear to grind. A bent shift fork or broken fork pads would cause engagement problems however.

A worn blocker ring will not slow the gear down properly to allow the syncro assembly (slider) to engage with the gear itself. Thus, the gear grinds against the slider.

BTW, our prices are alot better than $1100 plus
http://www.tick-performance.com/transmission/
Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
The reply I gave was not directed at you. It was intended to help ae13291 diagnose the problem he is having. With that said, a bent shift fork will not cause a gear to grind. A bent shift fork or broken fork pads would cause engagement problems however.

A worn blocker ring will not slow the gear down properly to allow the syncro assembly (slider) to engage with the gear itself. Thus, the gear grinds against the slider.

BTW, our prices are alot better than $1100 plus
http://www.tick-performance.com/transmission/
No, no, no, I'm really stupid. I don't wear my feelings on my sleeve like some of the other board members. I really did forget. So I wasn't offended at all. It's a help board. Now if you had talked about my moma, that would be a different story.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry to hi jack but my third gear kinda does the same but no grinding but it will pop out sometimes then when i WOT 1-3 then i finally hit third it's kinda hard to slide in then when its in it feels like the e-brake was pulled and the car feels like it slows down?? only happens sometimes shifting around 5500

Quick Reply: a 3rd gear grind!