Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Car shakes after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car shakes after clutch install (video added, post#6)

Newbie here with a question. I just installed a Spec (stage 1) clutch on my '99 LS1 along with a new slave and master cylinder. Never done a clutch swap on any other car before so it was definitely a learning experience. I'm also not sure if this is part of the break-in so this is why I ask...but when I started the car while still on jackstands (i mainly wanted to see where the clutch was going to grab in the pedal travel) the car started to shudder more than I would have expected it to. I never let the clutch out fully because I thought it might stall it out and I didnt want to do that while on jackstands for safety's sake. Is it normal to shake like that when the clutch is brand new? From what I had read I assumed it would chatter but I figured that would be more of a sound than a feeling. I had all bellhousing bolts in and torqued, I had 3 bolts holding the transmission to the bellhousing (didnt put all of them in yet incase I had to take it back out), and other than that the only thing I didnt have installed was the torque arm. (Could that be it?) I resurfaced the stock flywheel and installed the spacer behind the slave which was included with the clutch kit. I also bled out the system extensively. I'm fairly certain I did everything right so I'm a little worried about what could be making it do this. The only thing I didn't do by the book was over-torquing the pressure plate bolts...I did those to 75 ft/lbs by accident but I was convinced by some of my friends that this would be fine. (I didnt realize it until after I had everything back together). Any suggestions or am I just being paranoid? Could it be the torque arm not being installed yet or the pressure plate bolts?

Last edited by Vasssive; 03-06-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would put it back together and try it again. Then you'll know what's going on. New clutches tend to be grabby at first right off the floor. You need to drive it around the block a few times before you know how it will behave.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Though it's a pain to tear it all down, do not start the car when it's still in pieces. You have no clue what bolts you forgot or if everything is in alignment.

Reassemble, then drive it around. If the clutch is balanced correctly it will not shudder. Should be smooth as before. Only on take off will you noticed a difference in how the clutch grabs. Takes a good amount of driving before a clutch will show you it's tendencies.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice. I have the Ram Adjustable MC in there and the engagement point is right in the middle for now, from what I've heard I'll probably have to drop it down a bit once it gets broken in. I think I was just being paranoid though. I started it up again and let it fully engage in first and second (while still on jacks) and while it still shakes a little bit it's almost back to how it was when it was still OEM. I'll update if it's any different once I get it put back together and on the pavement.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

Chatter is not uncommon even on stage 1 clutch kit that is newly installed. However, it is going to be hard to know if this is normal chatter or not with the assembly partially installed. Put it back together and put some miles on it and let us know what you find. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Teching In

So I got the car put back together the other day. I've had a couple people ride along with me and they've said they've never seen a clutch chatter as bad as this one, but neither of them have had experience with the SPEC's in LSx's. I made a video clip, it didn't really capture it how I wanted since Youtube compressed it so much and now you can't really tell how badly it's shaking, but here it is anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPIZFugC2P8

Again, the video really doesn't do justice to how it is in person. Obviously you can see the stick shake. You can feel the entire car shake when it's doing that. Once the clutch is fully out it's as smooth as stock, and upshifts are all completely normal. Reverse chatter is worse than 1st gear.

Does this look/sound right for the SPEC? This should die down after 500-800 miles of city driving?

Last edited by Vasssive; 03-07-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

My car did it pretty bad on take off also with a spec 3+. Don't worry about it, it will get better. Mine started to get alot smother at around 350-400 miles of regular street light to street light driving. Follow the break in instructions and you should be fine.

Edit: Reverse was the worst for me too.

Jimmy
Old 03-07-2008, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

It looks like chatter! That being the case is it pretty hard to get a feel for the severity in video. Assuming that you flywheel really is flat then I say put some more miles on the unit and keep me posted as things progress. If it doesn't get better let me know and you can send it back in for us to check out. Thanks and have a good weekend.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

that's clutch chatter. video shows it well. If it's smooth running up the rpmand no vibrations at cruise and relatively smooth, then you just need to break it in.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

That looks very similar to the chatter I got with my Spec Stage 3. Although it "died down" by the end of the break-in period, it never fully went away and then the clutch was shot at 8,000 miles. I made the mistake of replacing it with a Spec Stage 2, which actually had no chatter whatsoever, but gave me other issues. I'm replacing the 2 with a Textralia this coming Tuesday and crossing my fingers.

Keep us posted as you get through the break-in period.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Awesome, this is all good news to me. I'll keep you guys posted if anything changes.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Default Spec Stage 1

I also have a spec stage one, and I am still in the break in period. It chatters pretty bad, It has gotten better since I put it in, I dont drive it very often so I still have some miles to go. Keep me posted on how things work out for you.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just had a spec 3 and billet steel flywheel installed, still under 500miles and i have that exact same chatter.

Quick Reply: Car shakes after clutch install