Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

D&D Viper T56, 6 gear grinding when letting out clutch? Wont stay in 6th!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D&D Viper T56, 6 gear grinding when letting out clutch? Wont stay in 6th!!

I bought this transmission a few months ago it had about 10k on it. It's a 30 spline running a Dennys driveshaft. I have never noticed any problems with this transmission any of the times i took it on the road but today i was coming down my driveway (its long) about 30 mph and was going through the gears and went to put it in 6th at a low speed and let the clutch out and it just grinds and pops out of gear. Why is it doing this?! I dont have a reverse lock out hooked up but it cant be shifted into reverse without it. I have never mis shifted a gear or anything on it. I have probably only put maybe 10 miles on it since ive had it.

What could be causing this? This was not a cheap transmission and i neve thought i would have to worry about it! I do have the connector to hook up the reverse lock out, should i try installing that? I dont see how that would make a difference though. Also the rear seal is wet, i wouldnt say leaking but supposing all of the fluid did leak out somewhere mysteriously would that cause it? I just checked the fluid a day ago and it was completely full so i doubt thats it. Im getting ready to go under it and see.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

I remember the guy i bought it from mentioning it had adjustbale stops for the gears, i hope thats it. I think he said it was a hurst shifter, are there any write ups on it? I am running Mobile 1 ATF in it, trans has steel shift forks and carbon blocker rings.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If it pops out, that means it's not fully engaging. Common causes are shifter stops, worn or broke shift fork pads, and finally something broken in the synchro on that gear.

mike
Old 08-17-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Mike! I think its gotta to be the shifter stops because thats all that could make sense to me. It's driven perfectly fine when i had it on the road, no hard shifting, i think they just may have vibrated loose in the hours of testing and tuning and such ive been doing. How would i go about adjusting them? I have read to put thread locker on them.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The T56 has internal stops, so the shifter stops are not needed. You should back out the stops on the shifter and lock them. If you must use them, make sure you pull the shifter handle back into all the gears, and leave 1/8" between the shifter and stop and lock them...
Old 08-17-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Haha i almsot took off the 4 bolts to get to the stops but then i was like hmm i wonder if its under the shift boot. They were touching with the shifter in gear so I'm pretty sure that was the problem. They werent loose though. I did find water sitting in the top of the shifter which was a little brown in color obviously from rust but i cleaned it all out and nothing has surface rust on it. I am sure this was from the rainstorm that my car got left out in with no glass in it. After i cleaned it all out i sprayed some pb blaster on top of the shifter to help re-lubricate anything the water may have damaged. It shifts really nice though, i think that it was just the shifter stops acting up.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to hear it. That tranny is an excellent tansmission. I had the same trouble with 1st gear & it was the stops.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Any videos of that ls1 Miata man? That's really freakin bad ***! Probably cant really see what it truely can do in the acrctic rainforest thogh huh? Too much ice and foliage.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Any videos of that ls1 Miata man? That's really freakin bad ***! Probably cant really see what it truely can do in the acrctic rainforest thogh huh? Too much ice and foliage.

Thanks for the interest. Sorry, no vids. It's a road course driving specific car & it is bad *** in that setting. Built from the ground up w/ proper sub-frame & suspension, Miata's are great street/road course cars. They're not much on a drag strip due to their short wheel base & limited rear tire size. Overall, a lot of fun.

It's either raining or snowing here, far too often. It's the ornamental plant nursery capital of the US because of the wet weather conditions during the Summer & Fall. There is no Spring. Weather goes from a snowing Arctic cold, to a wet humid Summer, then into a short wet Fall prior to becoming Arctic once again. For this reason, is an Arctic rain forest.

Quick Reply: D&D Viper T56, 6 gear grinding when letting out clutch? Wont stay in 6th!!