Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls7 Clutch failure ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls7 Clutch failure ???

Hi everyone! Long time reader non poster. About nine months ago I heard a loud rattling sound, it lasted a few seconds when slowing down(normal driving). It did twice and just recently when i was doing a quick run from first to second, when slowing down i heard that same rattling again. It would only last a few seconds and would go away, got under the car and could not see anything wrong, clutch always felt fine no problems shifting.
Just recently it made that same rattling sound for the last time. It was also when i was slowing down. This time i went to slow down for a stop and my car turn off, like i did not press the clutch. Turn it back on and could not go into first gear, turn it off and put in first and was able to take off. I shifted into second using no clutch and got her home.
Took her apart and i found this piece of metal inside the pressure plate. There is damage all around the pressure plate so some how it work its way into the pressure plate and would not release the clutch.
I bought this clutch in 06 and has about 14,000 miles on it. No clutch dumps. I did run drag radial for about 6,000 miles. This clutch felt great but maybe did not like the torque.
Thanks! Young @ Byunspeed for helping me select a clutch and your quick service!
I cant figure out where that piece came from?

Maybe its one of these but they are evenly spaced and there is three?

This is where i found the piece of metal, it would not let the clutch release. Inside the pressure plate.

Last edited by 2001SSpewtm6; 08-19-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Its the Dowel pin for the trans to line up with the Bell housing. There are two holes in the tranny that hold these pins. When I did my clutch swap, I had one that stayed in the bellhousing and at first I didnt notice it and when you put the tranny back up if its not lined up perfectly the trans will push it all the way through the hole in the bell housing and it will fall into the clutch area. THey are both supposed to be in the trans for proper installation. The pins are located on either side of the trans, one by the slave hose connection on the drivers side and another on the passengers side.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think thats the dowel pin, if anything from the pictures id say its the pin from the back of the crank but i dont think they had one, it looks like ur pilot bearing is fine, how does the trans itself look, includin shaft and slave, def is wierd tho. what did u get for a clutch? just a new ls7?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
i dont think thats the dowel pin, if anything from the pictures id say its the pin from the back of the crank but i dont think they had one, it looks like ur pilot bearing is fine, how does the trans itself look, includin shaft and slave, def is wierd tho. what did u get for a clutch? just a new ls7?
I'm 100% sure its the dowel pins for the tranny to bell housing. Not the dowels for the bell housing to engine as those are much bigger. I've seen them on both of the clutch swaps i've done on lsx cars, they look identical to what he has posted.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
I'm 100% sure its the dowel pins for the tranny to bell housing. Not the dowels for the bell housing to engine as those are much bigger. I've seen them on both of the clutch swaps i've done on lsx cars, they look identical to what he has posted.
I went outside and took some quick pics. You are right there is a pin missing on the tranny to bell housing. I think thats it, next time I will be more carefull. It was my first time doing a clutch swap, so at least i know what happen, thanks. I am getting the OZ700 Z-grip, I am planing to adding more power.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o duh forgot about the split bellhousing, shoulda asked alfred. haha he knows ALL about replacing clutchs every 5000 miles
Old 08-19-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001SSpewtm6
I went outside and took some quick pics. You are right there is a pin missing on the tranny to bell housing. I think thats it, next time I will be more carefull. It was my first time doing a clutch swap, so at least i know what happen, thanks. I am getting the OZ700 Z-grip, I am planing to adding more power.
Dont feel bad, I was having a hard time linging mine up and luckily I had noticed that one of the pins was in the housing and one pin was in the tranny, and the one in the housing was getting pushed through the housing, but I stopped and put both pins back into the trans and it went in easier. I lucked out or else I bet the same thing would have happened to me.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
o duh forgot about the split bellhousing, shoulda asked alfred. haha he knows ALL about replacing clutchs every 5000 miles
He also knows about puting out fires!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
Dont feel bad, I was having a hard time linging mine up and luckily I had noticed that one of the pins was in the housing and one pin was in the tranny, and the one in the housing was getting pushed through the housing, but I stopped and put both pins back into the trans and it went in easier. I lucked out or else I bet the same thing would have happened to me.
No not at all I am learning as I am going, it could have been worse. The ls7 still looks in good shape but rather upgrade, it was great while i had it.

Quick Reply: Ls7 Clutch failure ???