Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Removing pilot bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing pilot bearing

This thing is seriously pissing me off. I was making damn good time had everything out and off in about 3 hours now I've got about 2-3 just on this damn pilot bearing. I have the tool from auto zone but they did not give me a slide hammer so basically the tool is useless. You would think they would know that if you rent the puller your going to need the slide hammer. I really want to get this thing out tonight. Anyone got any tips, I've been chiseling away at the bitch for awhile but all I've got is one f'd up looking bearing.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After going at it with a slide hammer for 2+ hours I finally pulled out a hammer and chisel. Five minutes after that I was installing my new bushing.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could take a die grinder or a dremel and grind through it in one location. Once you cut completely through it, the press fit will be relieved and it will come right out.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:59 AM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...+bearing+pilot
Old 09-29-2008, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

maybe a dumb question here but why would you remove the pilot bearing anyway?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

im debating if i should change mine before i install my clutch
Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badaSS346
im debating if i should change mine before i install my clutch
The bearing is behind the clutch so you can do both at once.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

I've used a slide hammer and a hammer & chisel. Replaced mine twice.... Both methods took a little time but were successful. The trick is getting the right end for the slide hammer. When that didn't work the first time we used the hammer & chisel. And yeah it came out in many pieces.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Default Pilot bearings SUCK

I am in the same boat and it sucks hard. This hammer and chisel method...can some one elaborate? I think I have the idea...beat the snot out of the bearing until it becomes tiny pieces. That way it is easy to remove. But what exactly do you have to do to destroy the bearing?

JonB are you going to be replacing your crank plug? Like I said I'm right there with you and that pilot bearing but I noticed that there was a small drip/leak coming from the plug. Just my .02, but I think that this leak is what took the life of my SPEC setup.

Good luck with getting you car back on the road.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Garry_H
I am in the same boat and it sucks hard. This hammer and chisel method...can some one elaborate? I think I have the idea...beat the snot out of the bearing until it becomes tiny pieces. That way it is easy to remove. But what exactly do you have to do to destroy the bearing?

JonB are you going to be replacing your crank plug? Like I said I'm right there with you and that pilot bearing but I noticed that there was a small drip/leak coming from the plug. Just my .02, but I think that this leak is what took the life of my SPEC setup.

Good luck with getting you car back on the road.
If there is a leak coming from that freeze plug, replace it while you are in there. It is just a press fit plug. And I used a special fitting on the slide hammer to remove it. I had to drop my trans twice in 2 months thanks to that plug. Replaced the clutch, then discovered that plug was leaking on the new clutch...... Made sure to goop it up good when putting the new one in and it's stayed nice & dry.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Teching In

I am having trouble finding that plug at any store. Is there a part number or something? Do you have the dimensions? This is pretty much the worst case scenario for me. $20 dollars worth of parts are really starting to be annoying.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend used grease to remove the pilot bearing, big mistake. We went to the drags and so much oil leaked onto the pp and disc he almost did not make it home. Ruined the whole day. Everything had to be removed to replace the plug only to find Eagle stroker cranks take a special pulg. Total PIA getting the plug out without getting metal shavings in the crank.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

What sucks is that the Clymer or Haynes manual, whichever I have I'm not sure, says to use the grease/hammer method. Lots of people are gonna screw that up.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Autozone also has the slide hammer. You have to ask for it - they don't volunteer it. I tried the grease thing first, failed, got the puller and slide hammer and popped the bearing right out.