Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dot5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dot5?

Is anyone currently running Dot5 as their clutch fluid? It looks like the silicon based dot5 at the local autoshop has a 584 degree boiling point, quite a bit better then the 311 boiling point of the dot 4...thought it does warn on the bottle "Do not use with anti-lock braking systems" not sure what that is for.

So who's running it and for how long? I gotta bleed my clutch soon and want to use a much higher boiling point fluid if I can.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest using DOT 5.1 as this should conform to all your cars requirements and still provide great boiling resistence. In am a fan of the Motul RBF600. I do suggest that you make sure that whichever fluid you choose meets your system requirements. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

You DO NOT want to run DOT 5 in your system. Silicone based fluid is not compatible with the seals used in the systems for petroleum based DOT 3 & DOT 4 fluids. Now DOT 5.1 is supposed to be compatible. But the DOT 5 will eat your seals and cause problems.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good info, so with the 420F wet boiling point does running this fluid fix the clutch fade that the T-56 experiences?
Old 09-29-2008, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cthulu
Good info, so with the 420F wet boiling point does running this fluid fix the clutch fade that the T-56 experiences?
No idea, I have not tried it. Just did the drill mod last time I had it all apart and have had zero issues.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you drilled it out what size bit did you use?

I've seen directions on a few different places but none of them mention the right bit size. I was planning on whatever was slightly larger then the size that would fit. *shrugs*
Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

I can't remember. Whatever I found in the write-up. Don't want to go too big because you don't want to damage the rubber hose. Just want to remove the metal restriction in the end fitting.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want some serious wet boiling point performance, you should look into Castrol SRF ($$$).
Old 09-29-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If you want some serious wet boiling point performance, you should look into Castrol SRF ($$$).
It does have a crazy wet boiling point, and castrols site says it is a replacement for dot 3/4 it is a silicon based fluid.

Nobody is running any of these high performance dot 5.1 fluids though? Was hoping for some personal experience.

TIA
-Cthulu
Old 09-29-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

I'd love to find some of this high boiling point brake fluids locally so I can test it out. I've found that after some long driving, DOT 4 degrades quite a bit being cooked inside by the engine and clutch heat. Ie 4-5 hour drive then WOT runs will usually give me a sticking clutch on the 4th gear redline to 5th gear shift... not that I test out these crazy situations on a regular basis heh
Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SladeX
, DOT 4 degrades quite a bit being cooked inside by the engine and clutch heat. Ie 4-5 hour drive then WOT runs will usually give me a sticking clutch
Spirited toll booth exits = clutch to floor
Old 09-29-2008, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Spirited toll booth exits = clutch to floor
Hey me too, I wonder if its got to do with the valvoline synthetic im running or if I need a master and slave again........
Old 09-29-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When you drilled it out what size bit did you use?

I've seen directions on a few different places but none of them mention the right bit size. I was planning on whatever was slightly larger then the size that would fit. *shrugs*
Some writeups say to use a 1/8" bit...but I found that it was a tight fit in the orfice of the line, so I used one size smaller (I believe it was 7/64) and it worked perfectly.

As for brake fluid, DOT 3 and 4 are NOT petroleum based as was mentioned. They are a polyglycol fluid, all of which are amber or clear in color. It will not damage the rubber parts of the system or cause the seals to swell as a petroleum based fluid would. DOT 4 has a wet boiling point of 311 degrees F, while DOT 3 is only 284 degrees, making DOT 4 the obvious choice for any application. Both absorb moisture, however, unlike DOT 5.

Basically DOT 5 is a silicone based brake fluid, so unlike DOT 3 and DOT 4, it will not absorb moisture from the system or from the air. It will, however, hold air much more so than DOT 3/4 will, so bleeding the system of all trapped air can be a challenge. The reason DOT 5 can't be used in ABS systems is because it airates easily, so the ABS pump would basically cause trapped air bubbles in the system. DOT 5 is purple in color, and is not compatible with DOT 3,4, or 5.1. However, like DOT 3/4, it will not harm the rubber seals in the system.

The best option available is DOT 5.1. Its a non-silicone based fluid and clear/amber in color like DOT3/4. Its also compatible with DOT 3/4, so flushing the system completely is not required. It has a wet boiling point of 356, higher than both DOT 3 and 4, and equivelent to that of DOT 5.

Hope that clears some things up.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I couldn't find it on Castrol's website, but I did find it on for sale on a couple other sites...its a silicone based fluid, so its DOT 5. Meaning you've have to completely flush or replace the components in the clutch system in order to switch over to it.

I did, however, find some high performance fluid made by Brembo, with a wet boiling point of 399 degrees F, and its fully compatible with DOT 3, 4, and 5.1:

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/Racing-Bra...rake+Fluid.htm

Wilwood makes a similar fluid, with a dry boiling point of 570 degrees (doesn't list wet boiling point):

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-...-EXP/index.asp

Last edited by Wesmanw02; 09-29-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell just for fun, replace all the seals in the system and run some skydrol for the fluid. heh, i may just do that if i get bored enough
Old 09-29-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
I did, however, find some high performance fluid made by Brembo, with a wet boiling point of 399 degrees F, and its fully compatible with DOT 3, 4, and 5.1:

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/Racing-Bra...rake+Fluid.htm

[/url]

"Brembo LCF 600 plus must not be used in Brake Systems containing magnesium parts."

Don't suppose anyone knows if we have magnesium in our clutch systems?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

i use Motul 5.1
Old 09-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Bad information.

Castrol SRF is NOT DOT 5. If you are reading around on different sites that sell it, they recommend not mixing it with other fluids because it will degrade the dry/wet boiling points to the point of not being worth the money.

I've been running SRF for the better part of the past year in my clutch hydraulics, and it flat out works. The frrax.com guys use it for their brakes all the time...they'd probably have tons of problems if it was a DOT 5, wouldn't they? Yet they don't, because it isn't a DOT 5 fluid. It is DOT 4 (the bottle specifically states "exceeds DOT 4 specifications).
Old 09-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Right or wrong I've got DOT5 in mine right now. Purple stuff. I was breaking down the 5.1, so we tried something else, and did a full flush. I'll let you know if purple stuff starts leaking out!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bad information.

Castrol SRF is NOT DOT 5. If you are reading around on different sites that sell it, they recommend not mixing it with other fluids because it will degrade the dry/wet boiling points to the point of not being worth the money.

I've been running SRF for the better part of the past year in my clutch hydraulics, and it flat out works. The frrax.com guys use it for their brakes all the time...they'd probably have tons of problems if it was a DOT 5, wouldn't they? Yet they don't, because it isn't a DOT 5 fluid. It is DOT 4 (the bottle specifically states "exceeds DOT 4 specifications).
I got the info from this site:

http://www.raceshopper.com/castrol_s...ke_fluid.shtml

Apparently they must have their info and specs wrong.

This site seems to say you are talking about, compatible with DOT 3/4:

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...ction=category

Quick Reply: Dot5?