Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa citations, need help dealing with them. I'm from IL

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iowa citations, need help dealing with them. I'm from IL

I live in Illinois, and received 2 tickets in Iowa, coming back from a road trip with my gf.

Citations location:
I80, by Atlantic City, Iowa. Cass County

Citations and costs:
no proof of insurance
costs $330 plus $50 court cost processing fee

tinted windows
costs $15 plus $50 court cost processing fee

here is the problem:
I did/do have insurance, however didnt have my current card with me (thought I did, but didnt). So I contacted the Cass County clerk. They said I could fax them a copy of my current insurace card and that my insurace company would have to do the same. No problem I did that.
The clerk then stated that I still need to pay the $50 court cost processing fee, and the judge could still make me pay the $330 for no insurance, even though i just proved I had and do have insurance.

that is complete BS.
if you receive a no proof of insurance citation in IL, but you did have insurance and can show proof, the circuit clerk dismisses the ticket and no fines or processing fees have to be paid.

So here is my question, is this normal for Iowa and secondly for those of you who have had tickets in Iowa how do you get out of paying the $50 court costs processing fee.

It really sounds like Iowa uses cheap way to generate money.

Also if I dont pay the $50 court processing fee and the window tint ticket, would that be grounds for a suspended license or just a warrant in that town. (which I will never pass through again anyways)

In regards to the window tint, its annoying because IL, has never once ticketed me for the light tint my front drive/passenger windows have.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ibanez7
I live in Illinois, and received 2 tickets in Iowa, coming back from a road trip with my gf.

Citations location:
I80, by Atlantic City, Iowa. Cass County

Citations and costs:
no proof of insurance
costs $330 plus $50 court cost processing fee

tinted windows
costs $15 plus $50 court cost processing fee

here is the problem:
I did/do have insurance, however didnt have my current card with me (thought I did, but didnt). So I contacted the Cass County clerk. They said I could fax them a copy of my current insurace card and that my insurace company would have to do the same. No problem I did that.
The clerk then stated that I still need to pay the $50 court cost processing fee, and the judge could still make me pay the $330 for no insurance, even though i just proved I had and do have insurance.

that is complete BS.
if you receive a no proof of insurance citation in IL, but you did have insurance and can show proof, the circuit clerk dismisses the ticket and no fines or processing fees have to be paid.

So here is my question, is this normal for Iowa and secondly for those of you who have had tickets in Iowa how do you get out of paying the $50 court costs processing fee.

It really sounds like Iowa uses cheap way to generate money.

Also if I dont pay the $50 court processing fee and the window tint ticket, would that be grounds for a suspended license or just a warrant in that town. (which I will never pass through again anyways)

In regards to the window tint, its annoying because IL, has never once ticketed me for the light tint my front drive/passenger windows have.
I'll do this step by step... I have also recieved tickets in Iowa...
#1- No proof of insurance is considered at the time of the citation....not after the fact, so technically at the time you did not have valid proof of insurance in the vehicle hence you still having the possibility of being charged for it.... I would say 99% of the time they would dismiss it if you show proof, don't hold me to that....and yes that law it teh gheyness
It's all on a technicality...

#2- Window tint...Is your tint "illegal" in IL? Was that the reason the LEO gave you why he pulled you over?
if so then they can ticket you for it.... I was pulled over and ticketed for my tint being to dark by nebraska law in iowa

I have never been ticketed in nebraska for tint nor do I think that is a primary offense here, but it may be in Iowa .Where they usually get you is that they see you not wearing a seatbelt which IS a primary offense in Iowa, then pull you over and look over your car.... but I haven't been pulled over in a long time

#3- Processing fee- that is every state and county's way of getting a little money... I don't know how you would get away with not paying it because if you turn in the ticket you are saying that you will pay the cost associated with it. I assume since were are all connected, that our states have recipricity (Iowa and Nebraska do) and if you don't pay IL will get a little note from Iowa, and then IL will send you a little note saying they are going to suspend your license because you didn't pay Iowa.....
I thought that same thing back in the day when I was doing almost double the limit and only recieved a $110 ticket for it, so I thought eh...not going to pay it....till I got a letter from nebraska in the mail.... haha

That is my long explanation....
Old 04-21-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the reply and that gives some insight, since I was leaving Nebraska and a short time in Iowa, i was pulled over.

I was pulled over because of the window tint, (it is illegal in IL).

since you did receive a letter from nebraska, guess I will pay mine so IO/IL dont screw me on this. Sucks paying a "processing court costs"
Old 04-21-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never heard of a ticket being given to an out of state driver for illegal window tint. That sucks! I would have argued that & probably made the situation worse. I've been stopped in other states, they basically told me that since I'm not from there, I am OK.

As far as the proof of insurance ticket goes, it will likely be dropped, but you have to pay court costs in Iowa for anything. It sucks...
Old 04-21-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Unstang
I've never heard of a ticket being given to an out of state driver for illegal window tint. That sucks! I would have argued that & probably made the situation worse. I've been stopped in other states, they basically told me that since I'm not from there, I am OK.

As far as the proof of insurance ticket goes, it will likely be dropped, but you have to pay court costs in Iowa for anything. It sucks...

ok so I am stuck paying the court costs, that blows, but as long as the $330 is dropped then its cool.

yeah the officer looked up the window tint law for IL, thats why he was able to write the ticket.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Unstang
I've never heard of a ticket being given to an out of state driver for illegal window tint. That sucks!

WERD! I have never had police stop me for minor infractions before...
I guess if your not doing anything wrong then Iowa police will find something...haha

I have NEVER been stopped in any other state for tint or not wearing my seatbelt and I have driven thousands of miles with cars that attract a fair amount of attention and had dark tint... Only in Iowa.
I even had a cop in BFE tennessee(was on my way to G8) who had someone pulled over, yell as I was passing and I quote "we oughta pull you over just for the way that car sounds"...
Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

the cop that pulled me over, was just finishing up with someone else on the side of the road, then pulled on to the highway went to pass me then slammed on his brakes and tossed his lights on.

I talked to a few truckers and other people at the next rest area and they stated "its typical for the cops to yank anyone and everyone over through that area for anything"
Old 04-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Hey I live in Cass County. Good to see you got to know our finest.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibanez7
yeah the officer looked up the window tint law for IL, thats why he was able to write the ticket.
Wow! The officer actually took the time to look up the law for the sole purpose of being able to write you another ticket. What a piece of ****.

There are millions of cars on the road everyday. Thousands of which, at any given time, are doing something dangerous that possibly risks the lives of other motorists. But who do the police choose to target? The guy driving a nice looking car with window tint. Gimme a ******* break. The cops also claim to be over worked and undermanned. Well I say, police should stop getting people in trouble who have done nothing wrong and that will eliminate alot of unnecessary work. Then the present amount of officers will have the time to prevent/solve some type of real crime. Its as simple as that.

Sorry about the rant. This stuff really gets under my skin.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98zonjuice
Hey I live in Cass County. Good to see you got to know our finest.

I'm guessing you mean that is a smartass sense!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Wow! The officer actually took the time to look up the law for the sole purpose of being able to write you another ticket. What a piece of ****.

There are millions of cars on the road everyday. Thousands of which, at any given time, are doing something dangerous that possibly risks the lives of other motorists. But who do the police choose to target? The guy driving a nice looking car with window tint. Gimme a ******* break. The cops also claim to be over worked and undermanned. Well I say, police should stop getting people in trouble who have done nothing wrong and that will eliminate alot of unnecessary work. Then the present amount of officers will have the time to prevent/solve some type of real crime. Its as simple as that.

Sorry about the rant. This stuff really gets under my skin.
agreed!!! damn good rant!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should have told him you were exempt from the IL tint law, but you didn't have your paperwork with you, since you were in Iowa.

That is a total BS stop! I've been stopped in IL, MN, & MO & every time they hassle me for no plate & tint, but never write tickets...I drive around here, no tickets for a quite a while. (KNOCK ON WOOD!)

Quick Reply: Iowa citations, need help dealing with them. I'm from IL