Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

? for Chicago do you folks drive nice cars yearround?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default ? for Chicago do you folks drive nice cars yearround?

I seriously concidering relocating to Chi-town (been up here for 3 weeks nice city except for the I-290 west afternoon traffic going to Oak Brook area from downtown).

Just curious if you guys have two cars #1 nice F-body #2 any type beater for the snowie months.

Do the road clearers use rock salt or sand on the icey roads?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salt and by the way, 290 West is one of the the least congested roads around there in the afternoon, just be prepared to deal with all the surplus people hogging up your road when you want to get someplace.

Don't see too many f-body's around in the Winter. They all seem to hide someplace. I would have gone GTO, but really felt I needed the front wheel drive as work takes me further North quite a bit (hence the LS4 Impala ownage) and even my poor LT1 b-body has a lot of trouble in the snow, much less a larger tire, lighter f-body.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I drive mine all year round but I've been driving f-cars all year round even in the snow since 1996. all I do is buy some skinny snow tires and swap out my rod end suspension pieces (keeps them from rusting to pieces in the salt) I also have a 100 lbs of Sub and Amp that I put in the winter for added weight in the rear. I've never had problems and seriously with good snow tires and a li'l weight an f-body is great in the snow and in my opinion better than FWD's that I've driven in the snow but my car is light on the mods. your car looks to have a pretty decent mods on it and I'd worry about running that car in the cold temps and salt covered roads. anything that is bare metal will get a layer of rust within a week of driving on the salt covered roads. rod end susepnsion pieces will rust, headers that are not SS will rust and higher lift cams can shatter valve springs if you are agressive on the throttle in before the everything is fully warmed up. If I were you I'd pick up a nice 2nd car or a cheap beater for the winter. If you move up here.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

It is impossibile to keep a car nice (depending on your definition of nice) in Chicago if you drive it through the winter. You might not notice too much damage the first year, but as time passes the car will get trashed. Especially if you commute on the highway; the high speed salt spray will coat the entire car (engine bay, undercarrige, everything).

We have the 1:5 rule in the winter. For every 1" of snow that falls, they lay down 5" of salt.

Get a winter car. Or forget about having a "nice" F-body for long.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I have a Cherokee that I have used for the winter, and I do not drive the Formy or Z06 once it snows. But in years past I have driven F-Bodies and Mustangs year round, just have to swap on snow tires or add weight and drive careful. We only have like 3-4 days all winter that are just nuts.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

I have driven both my old LT1 and LS1 F-body's year round, but not anymore. I'm in the same boat as PSJ driving a Cherokee most of the time.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

i have done it before, in all three of my F-bodies (87 305 Camaro, 00 V6 Camaro, 00 Z28) with no problems and even my dads old 94 LT1 Camaro. I actually bought the 87 for a daily driver. It can be done, just don't get in a rush

If need be, I'd drive it in the snow again, but I would much rather not.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

the 79 ta sleeps in the garage during the winter....i drive the 3.8 in the winter lol
Old 06-23-2007, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

I drive mine year round. Plus, your car also changes color in winter. My car is white in spring/summer/fall, and is officially gray in winter. With all seaon type tires, the snow isn't that bad with my car. It's when it snows tons and tons when it has a bit of problem, but what car doesn't.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have an S-10 that I daily drive. I drive the camaro all the way up until the first time they salt the roads. Then it sits in the garage until spring.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive my neon!!! Monday thru Friday. The T/A comes out in late spring Saturdays and sundays for some good fun as long as it doesn't rain (never seen rain). Sleeps in the winter!! hence the 32k miles LOL.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default chi-town

yeh me to I avoid even driving in the rain if possiable.

looks like I'll need a beater.

last time I was up North was in Buffalo NY area seamed like everones cars even newer nice ones had rust spot on the outside body I could just image want the underneath and motor compartment like like. but up there the snow is a bigger issuse conpared to Chi-town right?

?1. how long doe's the snow last. just incase I decide on a rental?

Thanks guy's for the advice looking forward to meeting you guys where's the dragracing track around here?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

In Chicago, snow can fall anytime from October thru April, but usually you'll only see significant snow from December till March.

Problem is the salt. After the first significant snowfall, they lay down so much salt that the roads remain white till we get a major rainstorm. They salt the hell out of the roads around here, so even though we don't get as much snow as a place like Buffalo, NY, the winter is just as damaging on the cars around here because of the excessive road salt.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

I drove my TA this past winter, I had no problem because I was always in specific areas and never on the highway, so the only time I couldn't drive was on those really bad snow days..
Old 06-23-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to drive a beater in the winter... but got tired of having mechanical problems ... so picked up a decent daily driver

I can still drive the TA anytime during non winter, but now only drive it on nice days... rest of the time a 260hp/280tq (stock) Daily Driver at least keeps driving fun lol
Old 06-24-2007, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
yeh me to I avoid even driving in the rain if possiable.

looks like I'll need a beater.

last time I was up North was in Buffalo NY area seamed like everones cars even newer nice ones had rust spot on the outside body I could just image want the underneath and motor compartment like like. but up there the snow is a bigger issuse conpared to Chi-town right?

?1. how long doe's the snow last. just incase I decide on a rental?

Thanks guy's for the advice looking forward to meeting you guys where's the dragracing track around here?
I'm going tuesday to RT66! and see what the cam install did for me!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

I drove my Mustang's year round and drove my LS1 through the winter. I just washed them every chance I get and didnt go anywhere if I knew there was going to be a lot of snow fall. Id recommend some snow tires if you do drive your car , they help out a lot. I had blizzaks on one of the cars and Dunlop Wintersports on the other , both worked very well.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default beater

it's hard to drive a beater after driving a fun car.

I'm looking into pickups it will diffently have a healthy V8.

off topic subject on the bug invasion here in Chi-town.

I'm in Chicago and the city is under a 14 year invasion of locatus a big flying insect

I've been told that the oriently (asian folks) pay top dollar for these bugs understand the men eat them to strenghten there Yang.

So I plan to catch as many bugs as I can and sell them on E-bay.

Has anyone here sold these bugs?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive my Toyota Ocotber till April Trans Am is garged in between
Old 06-24-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default sound clip

wicked sounding TA.

what do you think about these flying bugs??

Thanks

Quick Reply: ? for Chicago do you folks drive nice cars yearround?