Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Berkeley gives Marines the boot

This **** pisses me off...

Berkeley gives Marines the boot
City Council says recruiting station not welcome; military mum for now
By Doug Oakley, STAFF WRITER
Article Last Updated: 01/31/2008 09:47:45 AM PST

BERKELEY — Hey-hey, ho-ho, the Marines in Berkeley have got to go.
That's the message from the Berkeley City Council, which voted 8-1 to tell the U.S. Marines that its Shattuck Avenue recruiting station "is not welcome in the city, and if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome intruders."
In addition, the council voted to explore enforcing its law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation against the Marines because of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. And it officially encouraged the women's peace group Code Pink to impede the work of the Marines in the city by protesting in front of the station.
In a separate item, the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.
Councilman Gordon Wozniak opposed both items.
The Marines have been in Berkeley for a little more than a year, having moved from Alameda in December 2006. For about the past four months, Code Pink has been protesting in front of the station.
"I believe in the Code Pink cause. The Marines don't belong here, they shouldn't have come here, and they should leave," Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates said after votes were cast. A Marines representative did not respond to requests for comment.The resolution telling the Marines they are unwelcome and directing the city attorney to explore issues of sexual orientation discrimination was brought to the council by the city's Peace and Justice commission.

The recommendation to give Code Pink a parking space for protesting and a free sound permit was brought by council members Linda Maio and Max Anderson.
Code Pink on Wednesday started circulating petitions to put a measure on the November ballot in Berkeley that would make it more difficult to open military recruiting offices near homes, parks, schools, churches libraries or health clinics. The group needs 5,000 signatures to make the ballot.
Even though the council items passed, not everyone is happy with the work of Code Pink. Some employees and owners of businesses near the Marines office have had enough of the group and its protests.
"My husband's business is right upstairs, and this (protesting) is bordering on harassment," Dori Schmidt told the council. "I hope this stops."
An employee of a nearby business who asked not to be identified said Wednesday the elderly Code Pink protesters are aggressive, take up parking spaces, block the sidewalk with their yoga moves, smoke in the doorways, and are noisy.
"Most of the people around here think they're a joke," the woman said.
Wozniak said he was opposed to giving Code Pink a parking space because it favors free speech rights of one group over another.
"There's a line between protesting and harassing, and that concerns me," Wozniak said. "It looks like we are showing favoritism. We have to respect the other side, and not abuse their rights. This is not good policy."
Fran Rachel, 90, a Code Pink protester who spoke at the council meeting, said the group's request for a parking space and noise permit was especially important because the Marines are recruiting soldiers who may die in an unjust war.
"This is very serious," Rachel said. "This isn't a game; it's mass murder. There's a sickness of silence of people not speaking out against the war. We have to do this."
Anderson, a former Marine who said he was "drummed out" of the corps when he took a stand against the Vietnam War, said he'd love to see the Marines high-tail it out of town. "We are confronted with an organization that can spend billions of dollars on propaganda," Anderson said. "This is not Okinawa here; we're involved in a naked act of aggression. If we can provide a space for ordinary people to express themselves against this kind of barbarity, then we should be doing it."
Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

you know it amazes at the fact people still dont realize that the service is completely voluntary....they need to go protest at peoples houses who are thinking about enlisting.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

These people are ******* idiots. There is not a draft, and there probably will not be a draft. You know the funny thing is that people claim this is an "illegal and unjust war fed by American greed" when they seem to forget that we found all sorts of canisters that were meant to hook up to missles with bio/chemical agents and empty ones with traces of them on it. I know several people that were in the service and found them in different places. They also forget that Sadam had use chemical and bio warfare before to kill thousands of people, and that he did everything he could to restrict civil rights. Do I need to bring up female circumcision as well? These ******* need to get a life and stop telling me that I fought tooth and nail over there for no reason, and the people that I know that have PTSD, have died or gotten hurt did it for no reason! Those of us that went over there did it because we wanted to, so this Code Pink can eat a dick.
Also, lets not forget that for one of the first times ever, this is a war that doesn't really cost the general public anything. While the war has cost tax dollars, it has not caused rationing or any significant tax increases that would not have come anyway. Lets not forget that under Bush we have gotten several tax breaks since the war started.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:33 AM
Launching!

Maybe we should just get rid of recruiting in general and have a mandatory 2 year enlistment after high school. Everybody must serve in the Military but you can choose what branch of service. See how they like that...
Old 02-01-2008, 03:48 AM
TECH Regular

im a full time student at berkeley and work part time for the UCPD (uc berkeley police department) and trust me there is no one that is more fed up with this tree hugging, pro-green, equality, sexism, pot head losers that have nothing better to do than to bitch about how other people, unlike themselves, are actually taking a step forward toward their future (wow runon sent acne).
Old 02-01-2008, 04:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont get it...they are saying that the military is discriminating against sexual orintation (sp?) and bringing up the dont ask dont tell policy??? why doesnt someone just tell them that it refers to noone will ask is you are gay or straight...just dont go around telling people....as far as the protesting...maybe the protesters should take a trip to the desert and see how long it takes for them to **** themself from fear and whatnot...

to all the military (navy first)
Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Teching In

No great loss here if the Marines pack up and move elsewhere. Besides, who wants tree hugging, goodie goodie peacenick pussies from this city in the military? Not I. And the real americans who happen to live there and want to join the ranks can go to another city to enlist. If they seek out the recruiters and have the will to be a Marine, then they are what is needed.

You can tell a brick wall it is nothing but mud until you are blue in the face, but it will remain a brick wall. These idiots who make Berkley home for whatever reasons can keep it. Let them fail on their own.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by REDHOtTransAM
Maybe we should just get rid of recruiting in general and have a mandatory 2 year enlistment after high school. Everybody must serve in the Military but you can choose what branch of service. See how they like that...

I would love to do that... but unfortunately it won't work in our society.

Take Korea for example. They have the mandatory military service... but the difference between the Korean military and us, is they can beat the **** out of their troops if they get out of line.

We can't.

That's why mandatory military service won't work for us. And I wouldn't want to rely on some whiny bitch who didn't want to enlist to be sitting next to me in a foxhole or bunker somewhere (any more than is already out there).

Looks like Sen Jim DeMint is fighting back...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327466,00.html
WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., says the City of Berkeley, Calif., no longer deserves federal money.
DeMint was angered after learning that the Berkeley City Council voted this week to tell the U.S. Marine Corps to remove its recruiting station from the city's downtown.
"This is a slap in the face to all brave service men and women and their families," DeMint said in a prepared statement. "The First Amendment gives the City of Berkeley the right to be idiotic, but from now on they should do it with their own money."
"If the city can’t show respect for the Marines that have fought, bled and died for their freedom, Berkeley should not be receiving special taxpayer-funded handouts," he added.
In the meantime, a senior Marine official tells FOX News that the Marine office in Berkeley isn't going anywhere.
"We understand things are different there, but some people just don't get it. This is a part of the military machine that gives them the right to do what they do, but what they are doing is extreme," the official said.

DeMint said he will draft legislation to rescind any earmarks dedicated for the City of Berkeley in the recently passed appropriations bill — which his office tallied to value about $2.1 million. He said that any money taken back would be transferred to the Marines.
DeMint's office provided a preliminary list of items that would be subject to his proposal:
— $975,000 for the University of California at Berkeley, for the Matsui Center for Politics and Public Service, which may include establishing an endowment, and for cataloguing the papers of Congressman Robert Matsui.
— $750,000 for the Berkeley/Albana ferry service.
— $243,000 for the Chez Panisse Foundation, for a school lunch initiative to integrate lessons about wellness, sustainability and nutrition into the academic curriculum.
— $94,000 for a Berkeley public safety interoperability program.
— $87,000 for the Berkeley Unified School District, nutrition education program.
The Marine official, speaking with FOX News on Friday, said Marine Commandant Gen. James Conway scoffed at the news, but there are no plans for to protest the City Council's decisions. There are definitely no plans to move the recruiting station either.
"To actually put something into law that encourages the disruption of a federal office is ridiculous. They are not going to kick a federal office out of its rightful place there, and this is not going to discourage those young patriots who want to be Marines," the official said.
The Berkeley City Council this week voted to tell the Marines their downtown recruiting station is not welcome and "if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome guests," according to The Associated Press.
The council also voted to explore whether a city anti-discrimination law applies to the Marines, with a focus on the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy that prevents open homosexuality in the military.
The council also voted to give the antiwar group Code Pink a parking space in front of the recruiting office once a week for six months, as well as a protest permit.
The Marine recruiting office in Berkeley has been open for about one year, but has been the subject of recent protests by Code Pink members.

Last edited by Grave; 02-01-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Man those Marines that are stationed there at that Recruting office, have a hell of alot more patience than I would. I don't think I could sit back and watch that. I would end up doing something that would involve me getting into some deep ****. lol.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Berkeley better hope it never experiences a massive natural disaster, or they may find the local Guard a little undermotivated to help.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Gotta lvoe tree huggers. I might honestly write to my senator about this ****. Why is it that Cali has to go against the grain with everything? San Fran welcomed illegals with open arms, berkley doesn't want military people.

I hope the state has all those lovely "gangs" in start to riot and the federal military tells em to **** off!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Its ok..when california falls into the ocean they will get no help from us..dumb bitches
Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Threaten to take away their precious Federal funding, and suddendly Berkley FOLDS...

http://www.nbc11.com/news/15245031/d...=headlineclick
BERKELEY, Calif. -- As six Republican senators devised a plan to yank $2.3 million in federal funding for Berkeley programs, the mayor of the famously liberal city apologized Wednesday for his hard stance against a Marine recruiting center.

Two City Council members vowed to soften his stance as well.

At their Tuesday council meeting, leaders will discuss scrapping a letter that might be perceived as targeting the center or the Marines.

"Subtly stated in the resolution is perhaps an impugning of the soldiers fighting for us in Iraq and other places," Berkeley City Councilman Laurie Capitelli. "And that was never the intention but that really needs to be cleared up. As I walked to my car that night I realized I regretted it and I had made a mistake."

The letter said that the recruiting center was not welcome on Shattuck Avenue and that the Marines were uninvited and unwelcome intruders. The letter was originally approved in January and has not been sent. Councilmembers have said they would replace the "intruder item" with words expressing their support for the troops but not the war in Iraq.

The Republican plan would give the funds, intended for a school lunch program, UC Berkeley and ferry service, to the Marines instead.

"Patriotic American taxpayers won't sit quietly while Berkeley insults our brave Marines," said one of the senators.

The recruiting center opened about a year ago and quickly became a target of anti-war protesters including the group Code Pink.

Last week the council passed resolutions giving Code Pink a place to park out front. Some have said that meant the city giving was giving the group a place to continuously protest the Marines.

Others on the council seemed quite firm on their stance, NBC11's Christie Smith reported.

Sen. Barbara Boxer and Rep. Barbara Lee said they plan to fight the Republican bill.

Code Pink members said they plan to be at the council meeting on Tuesday but they'll have some company from groups who support the war and support the troops as well.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a bunch of State Sponsored Domestic
Terrorists to me. Corps should bus a few loads of
20-year-old seniors up from Oakland for processing.
Tell 'em the free steak lunch is on the other side
of the Pink Poser Posse and see what happens.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id personally like to go on a tour of berkely with some of my fellow marines and do some target practice and maybe practice a lil mcmapp on these ****.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Wow! ******* losers.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by REDHOtTransAM

Screw that! I don't want to have to pick up the slack for a bunch of worthless pantywaists that don't want to be in the military.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

one more thing I forgot to mention in my rant... By the way, as they cry about how "so many" people keep dying in Iraq (which by the way, none of them were thier children... they are liberals and do not feel they have to sacrifice anything), they fail to realize or admit something. Thier darling Bill Clinton got SIGNIFICANTLY more American troops killed in his first 7 years than Bush has. Look it up, the numbers between the two are not even CLOSE.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe someone should walk outside and hand them a peice of paper that says:

There are in excess of 40,000 deaths due to car accidents in the U.S. every year.

Total coalition deaths so far in IRAQ, 3,972

On a side note:

There are about 150k+ troops deployed to IRAQ with 3,972 deaths since the start of OIC. Thats what, rughly 2% losses? Pretty good if you ask me.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If these people don't support OIF then they ought to be voting for a president who agrees with them, not protesting against the Marines who are simply following orders. Vote in a president who doesn't want a presence in Iraq and the Marines will leave.

I wish one of these idiots were brave enough to step into that recruiting office, either to enlist or to get their teeth kicked in.

Quick Reply: Berkeley gives Marines the boot