Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Old pics from the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Old pics from the track

Going through some old pics and thought some of you might like theese. I know its not the popular type of racing around here, but never the less...

This is my dad in 1989 at Canyon Raceway...

When I turned 16 I took over driving.

Our new car, haven't raced it yet.

Sorry, kind of a pic ***** today-

Last edited by McNord; 09-04-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no sponsors?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

i heard those used dirt track tires are supposed ta hook like hell on the street
Old 09-05-2008, 03:38 AM
01z
TECH Regular

thats badass, i love going to the circle track. dirt or paved
Old 09-05-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike101
no sponsors?
Na, we tried it for a couple of years, but they were too demanding about the number of shows we went to per year, and they werent willing to pay enough for us to be able to go to all the shows they wanted us to go to. Also they wanted the car in their parking lot as a show car on sunday mornings through the afternoon. That wasn't always possible, and never practicle after a Saturday night show. We wouldnt get home & unloaded until 2am, nevermind having the car "show ready" by the next morning. Especially if we tore it up or put it into the wall or something the night before. But the sponsors didn't care, and we didn't need them, so that was that. More trouble than their worth.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by J$Money
i heard those used dirt track tires are supposed ta hook like hell on the street
My chief was an old track racer and he told me the same thing about those tires.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by J$Money
Originally Posted by Local-heretic
My chief was an old track racer and he told me the same thing about those tires.
I have never tried them on the street, But they are pretty sticky! You can push your thumb nail into the rubber as far as it will go until you run into the rest of your thumb. A right rear tire only last for 1 night of racing plus hot laps the next weekend.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats pretty neat...what kind of motors do those cars usually have?
Old 09-07-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chavez885
thats pretty neat...what kind of motors do those cars usually have?
They vary from 355's up to 410s. It all depends on the track you usually run on, on a dirt track it is real easy to have too much motor. We usually run a 410ci small block chevy. We are putting out about 625+hp. There are a lot of guys with $10,000 engines, and that has become the norm to stay competitive now. We also run a 3 speed manual tranny, ford 9" rearend, all the suspension is fully adjustable... The car only weighs 2150lbs.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Ive always wanted to get into dirt track racing maybe buy a late model or modified. How much does it cost to run for a year and getting started? I am talking a modest season not an every weekend thing.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks like a blast, I dont think many people will bash dirt track cars on here, its nascar............**** nascar
Old 09-09-2008, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Dirt Modifieds are cool man! A few guys I work with run Modifieds on dirt and they are really cool kats!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Cool--nice to have those...
Old 09-09-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Westsidetrans242
Ive always wanted to get into dirt track racing maybe buy a late model or modified. How much does it cost to run for a year and getting started? I am talking a modest season not an every weekend thing.

Your best bet would be to start used. See if you can find someone getting out of it & buy their entire set up, trailer, spares, wheels & tires, fuel jugs, etc... If not you can pick up a good car for about 15,000-18,000 without engine, tranny, & gear. As far as what you spend on your running gear, it all depends on what kind of track you are going to run. If its a fast track you will need a lot of motor, if its a smaller track, or not a banked track you can get away with a lot less motor. Being a dirt track you will just spin the tires all the way down the strait if you go too big before you know how to race on dirt.

I would suggest if your just getting started go with a street stock class, or even a mod light class. They are much cheeper to get into and have fun with to get your feet wet. After a few seasons move up to the UMP, IMCA, or whatever you have in your area. Out here in AZ we are running the UMP, but there is also a mod light class that looks similar to our cars, but the suspension is mostley GM (nothing tubular of adjustable), Exhaust manifolds (no headers), and I think they are limited to 400hp. They have to run an automatic tranny, and your cam has to be mild enough for the car to stay running while stopped in a drive gear. I think they also have to run pump gas.

We run alcohal at $5.00+ a gallon and go through roughly 30 gallons a night. You will probably go through at least one tire a night (right rear) and thats if you don't tear one up and tires are $239 each....Plus entry fees usually about $20 per person in your pit crew... Tear-offs $10-$15 a night...Plus whatever you break, and you almost ALWAYS break something!

Thats all I can think of at the moment, Hope that helps