New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cars got the SLP dual dual catback?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which cars got the SLP dual dual catback?

I picked up a '99 SS last week, completely stock. The interesting thing is that the exhaust, though quiet, has a sigificantly deeper sound inside the car than the hooker catback I have on my '02 TA. Honestly, I think the deeper tone sounds better than the hooker IMO.

It doesn't have the dual tips, though; just single rolled tips. So could this be a dual/dual with different tips? Is it just the regular catback(not sure if that year got the dual/dual by default or not)? Is there any well to tell for sure looking at the muffler or piping?

Either way, it sounds better than the stock catback on the TA did. The hooker is louder outside the car but I guess I forgot that it isn't much louder than stock.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Sounds like the tips are stock (standard SS/WS6, non-dual/dual issue), but that doesn't mean that the muffler is. Many people have done muffler swaps on these cars at this point, while leaving the tips stock.

If you are unable to identify the muffler, you could take a pic and post it here. I'm sure we could help you identify it, or at least determine if it's stock or not.

PS. Dual/dual was never standard issue on any year SS, it was an additional option (would have required RPO Y2Y). It was, however, the standard muffler on Firehawks.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

I'll check for the RPO code and if it isn't there, I'll post a picture. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by StreetLethal
I'll check for the RPO code and if it isn't there, I'll post a picture. Thanks.
Well, RPO "Y2Y" just indicates that there were additional SLP options added above and beyond the base SS (WU8) package. You would have to refer to the supplemental door (passenger side door jamb) or window sticker for additional details on which options were added.

There is no specific RPO code that directly indicates the dual/dual system.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '00 SS came with the SLP Dual/Dual and it sounds sick imo, low key at idle and a demon at WOT. I actually decided to stay with the catback and get headers/ory in the future with it. My SLP sticker on the passenger door is faded so hard to read, so you can call SLP and give them your vin number and they'll tell you everything the car came with if you have the same issue. '98-'00 came with the SLP DD option.

Last edited by BoricuaHec01; 05-03-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

mine came with it.

as posted it has y2y options listed with a seperate window sticker and on my passenger door.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
'98-'00 came with the SLP DD option.
Dual/dual was avaliable as an option all the way through 2002.

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
you can call SLP and give them your vin number and they'll tell you everything the car came with if you have the same issue.
Correct. You are now only a 99.5% complete newb.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Correct. You are now only a 99.5% complete newb.
Whatever dude And tell your boy to take that rank off, it's killing my rep lol.

Last edited by BoricuaHec01; 05-03-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so I've got the Y2Y RPO code. Here's a picture of the muffler so we can know which one it is:

Sorry in advance for it being gigantic...

Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Flowmaster 80??
Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

yea,looks like a flowmaster
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Well apparently its not completely stock. Sounds great inside, but I could go for something louder to be honest ..it's pretty tame outside.

If its a flowmaster, which don't flow so well, I might picking up a TSP Rumbler...lol

Last edited by StreetLethal; 05-03-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

I may be wrong but I believe there were 3 stock catbacks...a regular one that came on the base cars (Z28, Formula, Trans Am), the one you have (which came stock on the SS and WS6), and the Dual Dual which came stock on the Firehawk. I'm pretty sure the one you have has slightly bigger piping than a regular factory catback and has a slightly different sound.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

On a side note, how loud is the TSP rumbler on stock manifolds and cats? I've listened to the clips and like the sound but I want to make sure that its loud enough. I was a bit dissappointed the first time I started my TA up after putting the Hooker catback in.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Was thinking of getting TSP Rumbler, legit catback for the price, it's similar to the LM1/2 but a better tone, not as raspy.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Flowmaster 80??
Originally Posted by MillerTime85
yea,looks like a flowmaster
I think some of you guys have never seen a Flowmaster muffler before. There is zero chance that the muffler shown in that pic is a Flowmaster.

That pic shows what looks to be the stock SS/WS6 muffler from GM, complete with the factory seams and weep hole visable in the muffler, as well as the factory tailpipes & tips.

If the car is louder than other stock cars, then the cats may have been gutted at some point.

In this instance, the Y2Y code did not apply to the exhaust (unless someone swapped the dual/dual for a base SS/WS6 catback, prior to selling the car).

Originally Posted by Formula_LS1
I may be wrong but I believe there were 3 stock catbacks...a regular one that came on the base cars (Z28, Formula, Trans Am), the one you have (which came stock on the SS and WS6), and the Dual Dual which came stock on the Firehawk.
All correct. But the dual/dual that came stock on the Firehawk was also optional on the SS. Keep in mind that there was also one other catback, used only in 1998 on the SS/WS6 (single outlet on driver's side...this was a GM catback).

Originally Posted by Formula_LS1
I'm pretty sure the one you have has slightly bigger piping than a regular factory catback and has a slightly different sound.
The base SS/WS6 catback (show in this thread) included the same 2.75" I-pipe as the Z28/Formula/Trans Am, but has larger 2.5" tailpipes (base V8 models received 2.25" tailpipes).
Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I noticed that the outlet pipes were 2.5". It has a surprisingly good tone for stock compared to the base TA muffler. Does the TSP Rumbler have a pretty deep tone? I don't care about a little rasp, I just don't want anything that sounds like a machine gun or has lots of popping when rpms drop.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think some of you guys have never seen a Flowmaster muffler before. There is zero chance that the muffler shown in that pic is a Flowmaster.

That pic shows what looks to be the stock SS/WS6 muffler from GM, complete with the factory seams and weep hole visable in the muffler, as well as the factory tailpipes & tips.

If the car is louder than other stock cars, then the cats may have been gutted at some point.

In this instance, the Y2Y code did not apply to the exhaust (unless someone swapped the dual/dual for a base SS/WS6 catback, prior to selling the car).

All correct. But the dual/dual that came stock on the Firehawk was also optional on the SS. Keep in mind that there was also one other catback, used only in 1998 on the SS/WS6 (single outlet on driver's side...this was a GM catback).

The base SS/WS6 catback (show in this thread) included the same 2.75" I-pipe as the Z28/Formula/Trans Am, but has larger 2.5" tailpipes (base V8 models received 2.25" tailpipes).
Very helpful and informative post, you covered a lot of points that I myself have been wondering.

Being a new SS owner myself (got it last week) I have one quick question I would like to ask. Is there a flange or piece or something that I or someone else could actually literally get under the car and look at to tell whether or not the muffler is stock or not? My car has the stock exhaust tips, stock headers etc., bone stock down to the lid. But it just sounds unusually throaty which is why I'm asking.

(Sorry for the little thread jack OP)
Old 05-04-2011, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by StreetLethal
Yeah, I noticed that the outlet pipes were 2.5". It has a surprisingly good tone for stock compared to the base TA muffler. Does the TSP Rumbler have a pretty deep tone? I don't care about a little rasp, I just don't want anything that sounds like a machine gun or has lots of popping when rpms drop.
Rasp shouldn't be an issue if you still have cats. Some degree of popping when you let off the gas under certain conditions is normal for a high flow exhaust system though.

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Very helpful and informative post, you covered a lot of points that I myself have been wondering.

Being a new SS owner myself (got it last week) I have one quick question I would like to ask. Is there a flange or piece or something that I or someone else could actually literally get under the car and look at to tell whether or not the muffler is stock or not? My car has the stock exhaust tips, stock headers etc., bone stock down to the lid. But it just sounds unusually throaty which is why I'm asking.

(Sorry for the little thread jack OP)
Well, you can use the picture in this thread for reference as to what the stock SS/WS6 muffler looks like. I'm not sure what the condition of your muffler is, but here are the factory stampings that you should be able to see on the bottom of the muffler case (when looking up from under the car):

GM
A

That is for a '99-'02 SS/WS6 muffler.

And like I mentioned before, if the car seems noticeably louder than other stock LS1s with the same exhaust, then it's possibile that the cats may have been gutted at some point.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rasp shouldn't be an issue if you still have cats. Some degree of popping when you let off the gas under certain conditions is normal for a high flow exhaust system though.

Well, you can use the picture in this thread for reference as to what the stock SS/WS6 muffler looks like. I'm not sure what the condition of your muffler is, but here are the factory stampings that you should be able to see on the bottom of the muffler case (when looking up from under the car):

GM
A

That is for a '99-'02 SS/WS6 muffler.

And like I mentioned before, if the car seems noticeably louder than other stock LS1s with the same exhaust, then it's possibile that the cats may have been gutted at some point.
I appreciate it man, thanks a lot

I just checked under the car and it is the stock muffler, the cat's are still there as well, I'm positive. I guess they just sound like this stock, I don't remember my Dad's stock '02 WS6 being as throaty as this SS but whatever, I'm not complaining!

Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply: Which cars got the SLP dual dual catback?