Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help quick, security light flashing wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help quick, security light flashing wont turn over

last week my 01 SS was starting fine and all of the sudden it just wouldn't crank. The security light is flashing on the cluster and all the guages/lights come on. Ive switched the ign and starter relays with the fan relays and checked all of the fuses (All good) Battery is good. Tried roll starting and it started for about three seconds and shut off. The chip in the pass key looks fine but im having my dad mail one to me since im stationed nowhere near home. Any help would be great. Maybe just the key? thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like the chip in the pass key. I've not experienced this one yet, but it sounds consistent with what I've read hear before. If that isn't it, you'll have to plug it into a computer to see what's up.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try cleaning the key, but sounds like the small wires on the ignition switch have broken and not letting the BCM recognize key resistance to start the car. You can also bypass it with a resistor(s) under the dash. Search the site for VATS bypass, sure it's here somewhere. If you can't find it let us know.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's basically what I'm talking about, this is for an earlier model but basically the same. There are 15 differrent resistor key values so you'll have to measure it first before going to radio shack.

http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg
Old 05-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Teching In

alright thanks guys im trying a new key tomorrow
Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Teching In

ive got a little more to add to what may have led to this. I had gotten my car center hung in my friends yard so i kept starting the car for short periods of time and turning it off to try and shove stuff under the tires to get some traction. I started it 8-9 times and there was no problem whatsoever, but i used my handy dandy scissor jack to bring up the left rear(looking at it from the back of the car) and put a peice of wood under the tire. I let the car back down and got in it to start it and nothing happened. Thats when the security light started flashing and. Is there some way that the car thought it was being stolen with all of the short starts and the movement of the jack? if anyone has any ideas im listening, this is my only mode of transportation on base.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your problem man. Like the guys have said, it probably is your VATS system (in particular the little wires coming from you ignition cylinder) that is out.

But another problem I had once that was very similar to the VATS problem was when my starter went out. But with the starter you wouldn't get he SES light.

Just another suggestion to look at.. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

mine did that..........it was the ignition cylinder............a tow and 500$ to the dealer.......its all good now

Quick Reply: Need help quick, security light flashing wont turn over