Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to the drag strip, need some tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to the drag strip, need some tips

This September a friend of mine and I are going to the drag strip. He's a bit older than me and has taken many cars to the drag strip, but never this one. He has a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, which he always says will crush my car. I have never been to a drag strip before, so I was looking for tips and advice on how I can beat him, and if I can.

I will hopefully be putting the SLP Lid on my car before September, and I already have the SLP LM1 Cat-back, should get a bit of HP out of those two mods. My car is also an A4, so launching tips would be helpful. I also plan on removing ALL extra weight from my car, the spare tire, the jack, all the crap in the trunk, anything of weight out of the glove box. I'm also running royal purple synthetic motor oil. Appreciate all the help and insight I can get.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hope this helps...

Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wink

Originally Posted by wg871
Hope this helps...

What a dick...lmao

What I do is go around the water box and line yourself up,then hit the brake and accelerate just enough to get any debris off the tires.(roll thru the burnout so your not in the same spot( When you stage try to barely break the beam(this will give you 12" or so of space for the launch). When the last yellow light comes on floor it and you should tree him,if not practice makes perfect.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Stall converters work wonders...
Old 07-25-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98SSClone
Stall converters work wonders...
You telling me...I can't wait to get mine!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

my stall converter took nearly a whole second off my 1/4 mile time.
go to the track. fill out your tech card. find a spot to pit. instead of going up to race right away, stand around and watch what others do as to not make a total *** out of yourself
Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Reaction time is key. If you really want to beat him then you should cheat... Perhaps you should honk your horn just before the lights drop to take his attention off the tree. . Better yet, fill up his trunk with your old dumbells, golf clubs etc...

Honestly I think it should be a close race... If he's stock. I think Stock G8's are mid 13 cars but I could be wrong.

Good Luck.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
Reaction time is key. If you really want to beat him then you should cheat... Perhaps you should honk your horn just before the lights drop to take his attention off the tree. . Better yet, fill up his trunk with your old dumbells, golf clubs etc...

Honestly I think it should be a close race... If he's stock. I think Stock G8's are mid 13 cars but I could be wrong.

Good Luck.
i'm not 100% sure but am about 90% sure the G8 GT's have the LS3 and weigh as much as the new camaro and are as bout as fast..average time i would say is around a 13.0...but to the OP...that does'nt mean he will beat you..at the drag strip most of the time the best driver will win...especially with cars that are that close in potentail times...practice with your car on the street...i'm not sure what tires you have but try launching on the street at around 1300 RPMS (hold your break and preload your car to 1300) make sure you are NOT completly stabbing your foot to the floor..just give it about 80% and then STAB it to the floor once your not spinning or if your not spinning only then give it 100% throttle..see how bad it spins and try to control it and minimize it..THEN do a decent burnout to heat your tires (if they are not too extremly hard of a street tire then heating will help) then after heating them try doing the same 1300 launch and see if it holds traction any better with the warmer tires...ALOT of ppl will say that heating street tires is dumb and that your are just burning rubber..i say physics ALONE is enough to tell you that if you heat up any kind of rubber it will become more sticky and plyable..and probally grab the assphault better..since you have an A4 then all you need to worry about is the launch!!...leave it in over drive..dont upshift form 1,2nd,3rd to OD like alot of douch bags try to do..a 4L60E only needs to be in OD and it will do the rest on it's own..
Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good read for a first timer - http://www.modernmusclecars.net/foru...hp?do=drbasics

How's Meridian? Was stationed there for 4 years at NAS.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Good read for a first timer - http://www.modernmusclecars.net/foru...hp?do=drbasics

wow i have made over 150 drag strip passes over the course of 3 different cars i have raced ranging from a 13.7 car to my current low 11 second soon to be high 10 second car ...i read the link given and even i learned a few things from it...damn good read right there.. damn good!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

It would make a HUGE difference if you could afford to get a stall and DR's. You could go to a junk yard and pick up a pair of wheels off an f-bod for around $60-80 bucks and order some Mickey or Hoosier Drag tires for them for around $400 shipped.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
It would make a HUGE difference if you could afford to get a stall and DR's. You could go to a junk yard and pick up a pair of wheels off an f-bod for around $60-80 bucks and order some Mickey or Hoosier Drag tires for them for around $400 shipped.
you are 100% correct...if this guy does this he wont' be able to **** it up ..he will have traction and leave alot harder..you reading this OP??..how bad do you want to beat your freind??..if it's bad enough then go take out a 1,500 loan..buy a 3000k-3800k stall (my personal opinion for a street car) for around 500 bucks or find one on here for cheaper...and buy some MT drag radials ..if you are'nt mechanicly inclined you will pay about 300 on average to get the stall installed ..but with those 2 things..you car will be a beast off the line..you should run into the high 12's somewhere just those alone...i dropped 5 tenths with my 3K stall..and that was on a car that already was running 11's..catch my drift?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ive raced the g8 gt and you will need more than a Catback and a lid to beat him trust me
Old 07-25-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Win or lose- just be safe and have fun!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Teching In

stall and tires is the best advice. do your burnout in first, shift to second. pull forward and barely light the first bulb. wait for him to light both of his. then inch forward barely so you can keep your foot of launch space. makes a world of difference. throw it in drive and flash the converter. stay on the wood til you get through the whole 1320. lots of guys let up early. have a blast.

btw remember that staging can be where the race is won. sometimes ill wait for the other guy to do his burnout before i even start mine. it throws people off. and the honking your horn trick is sinister but hilarious hahah
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by usnfenix
ive raced the g8 gt and you will need more than a Catback and a lid to beat him trust me
if the G8 is stock then it's pretty much gona be a drivers race...yes there is a 70 or so RWHP difference between the two cars...but there is also a 500lb(give or take) weight difference.to the OP>>..if he does beat you, it should'nt be by much..and vice versa...your car is'nt gona destroy his in a race unless he spins bad or something like that....it should be a fairly close race..get the launch down
Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

stock you should beat a g8gt but it seems like this one isnt. get a 3600ish stall with some MTs and get some practice in then hand it to him.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28

Lol, I'm actually at NAS Meridian, I'm in the Navy. Been here for 1 year. I'm from the north, so being in the south and this sorta small town is a little dismal, but I'm getting used to it. It could be a lot worse, I'm figuring out the things to do in this town. Drag strip I'm going to is in Hattiesburg.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Banned

To everyone's questions about the G8 GT. It's the L76, a 6.0 V8 making 361HP and about 380 lb/ft of torque. Car weighs in a little over 4,000 lbs, and it is completely stock, no filter, no nothing. Only mod of any kind is synthetic motor oil. I have never raced a G8 GT before, or him on the street, but from what I do know, that for a four door sedan it is a very quick and peppy car. The LS3 is what the G8 GXP has, a 6.2 V8 putting out 415HP, very similar to what the new Camaro SS has. His car has a 6 speed auto. My car weighs around 3,500 lbs, as most of you should know. I'm hoping that 500 lbs of weight should give me a nice edge. Remains to be seen, I will be posting pictures and videos in September after the race.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The poster up top was wrong a G8 GT only has a LS2 ENGINE not a ls3 the GXP has the ls3. so he has about 50 HP on you stock for stock, this is not entirely that hard to overcome and beat him in a quarter. getting the best launch is the key however because 50 hp will make a difference on the last half of the track.

My car mostly stock runs just as fast as my buddys 6.0 GTO which is the same ls2 engine and I am sure the G8 weighs more than that. It will be a fun race for sure but if he races all the time he is going to be touph to beat with your stock car. but if you really want to smoke him save up for a stall converter and install it before september

Quick Reply: Going to the drag strip, need some tips