Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recalls

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recalls

Just wondering if there was any Recalls for the 01-02 SS/WS6.

-Mastronardi

Old 03-15-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

I have not heard of any recalls. Although I have heard similiar stories of the Pins for the front calipers seizing arnd 25k. I put a synthetic in my 01 and 99 Bird because when I got my 99 it had that same problem.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

I don't know too much about brakes, but when you say 'pins seizing', what exactly is happening? Right now, I have a sound that comes from my right front wheel that goes 'pfff' 'pfff' 'pfff' with every rotation of the wheel. Like some kind of friction. I had the brakes checked at the dealer, and they gave the car back saying the brakes were fine. Still makes the noise and I can feel the brakes pulsating as I come to a stop. Could this be that problem?
I'd like to go back there with some kind of knowledge so maybe they'll think 'OK, this guy knows his stuff...' I still have warranty thru June, so they better take care of me.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

if they re pulsating then the rotors are probably warped, nothin hard to fix, i think the stockers have a problem with warping
Old 03-16-2004, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Thanks..any idea if that's covered under warranty? I wonder if the technicians at the dealership would notice that without taking the rotors off?
Old 03-16-2004, 07:38 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Rotors are definately not under warranty. They are a consumable
item, to you pay for those all on your lonesome. I've been through
3 sets now, stockers, EBC's, and wagners, they all warp! My car
eats rotors for breakfast!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

There are two recalls one is a cold spot weld recall and the other is a brake booster power piston recall.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by evil02z
There are two recalls one is a cold spot weld recall and the other is a brake booster power piston recall.
Hey man can you post us a link for this info?? I'm curious now about it.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2004, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

PendragonZ...of course I'm not arguing with you, since you are not the dealer. I just don't see how a warped rotor is not covered under warranty. I understand that it is a consumable part. However, I don't have an issue with it wearing down too quickly or anything. It seems that there is a defect from the factory, and it should be replaced at no cost. Of course I'm just preaching to the choir here...but I want to see what the dealer says.
It's probably a lost cause, huh?

If it's not covered, should I stick with stock rotors, or go aftermarket?

Thanks! (and sorry for hijacking this thread...)
Old 03-16-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cold spot weld..? Where?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

The booster recall is #02019 and the spot weld recall is #01072. These recalls are issued to the customers whose VIN #'s match certain criterea for the recalls and are sent notices that they need to be repaired. If you didn't recieve a notice from GM then don't worry.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:12 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Rotors are covered under the 36,000 mile/3 year warranty. I should know as I was in the dealership about every 3 months for either new rotors or to have them turned due to warping. After the 36,000/3 years are up, then you're on your own...

After the warranty ran out I switched to Baer Eradispeed rotors. That was two years ago, and I haven't had a single problem.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PendragonZ
Rotors are definately not under warranty. They are a consumable
item, to you pay for those all on your lonesome. I've been through
3 sets now, stockers, EBC's, and wagners, they all warp! My car
eats rotors for breakfast!
Do you use an Air Ratchet???? If you do, that is probably your problem. If you must use an Air Ratchet set the torque setting as low as it will go then torque the nuts down the way they are suppose to be, with a torque wrench. Most warped rotors I have seen are due to people using an air ratchet improperly. Just my $.02.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Nope, torqued down properly each time. i used to make 3 passes
at 60, 80, 100, now trying 3 passes at 50, 75, 100.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

My rotors were under warranty too.... 3 times now.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

So I guess I should take it back to the dealer and mention that I think the rotor is warped??
Old 03-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If they wont replace it (probably wont) and you want to keep it on the cheap, you can get replacement rotors from AutoZone. They look like the stockers and a a bit more resistant to warping. AutoZone caries the regular AIMCO and the AIMCO Extreme rotors. The regular AIMCO rotors are like the stockers (I dont know the price) and the AIMCO Extreme rotors are slotted (and drilled?). The AIMCO Extreme rotors are about $100 a piece. There are other places to get rotors. It all depends on what you want to spend. IRotors (a Sponsor) also has some good deals on slotted and drilled rotors. The Baer Eradispeed and other brands are available from other sponsors.

--VIP1
Old 03-16-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

IMO. And this is what I did. Replace the stock front rotors with slotted rotors or slotted/drilled (some say the drilled will crack). This way you get a rotor that will expel the gases and help keep the rotor from warping since they will stay cooler as well.

I did this with both of my Birds. Neither of the Firebirds had any further warping issues and previously I had to deal with warped rotors. I also noticed a big difference in my breaking power with the power slot rotors and Hawke pads. I know Baer and other have systems that are Much better but are also Much more expensive and require a complete rebuild. With Power slot or others that are similair the cost is not much more than stock and are OEM sizes.
One more thing I ran into is the 2 pins that hold the caliper to the bracket. On my 99 Bird they had seized on one side and caused uneven wear and a tire pull. I had to replace both pins and bracket (8.00 a pin and close to a 100.00 for the bracket). I also used a synthentic grease compound to handle higher temps with the pins so they would not seize again. The TA was also done. No further problems since.

Old 03-16-2004, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Door hinge welds may be defective, if you have a problem
they want to drill it and put in "structural rivets" (i.e. a big
brother to the "Pop" rivet). I saw this on AllData.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are a BUNCH of common problems\issues with these cars that SHOULD be considered for a recall... (Search under 'common ls-1 problems')

But If GM doesn't get a few lawsuits first, It is not likely to happen...
For GM, It all comes down to the allmighty DOLLAR! They allready got your money, and they plan to keep it... Recall Notices are NOT condusive to keeping that DOLLAR!

GM issues things called TSB's (technical service bulletins) that help explain 'common' problems with their vehicles. TSB's do NOT get mailed to owners...(No sense telling the customer he has crappy parts in his vehicle if he is not complaining allready!)

Recall notices get mailed out to owners and ultimately cost a lot more for the company than a TSB... (If you tell your customer he 'may' have crappy parts in his vehicle, He is probably going to want to have it fixed...)

If it had not been for this web site (and others) educating me about these TSB's,
Among other things, I would still have a roof full of BUBBLES on my Z...
GM was not about to tell me about this stuff... It cost them MONEY to fix it!