Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting to go with new head's/cam 02 LS1- Noobie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to go with new head's/cam 02 LS1- Noobie Questions

Hey all, I'm just looking for some references as to what people are running as far as a head/cam set-up goes for a 2002 Camaro SS. My car is currently sitting at 84k miles so I'm curious if it would be worth doing at this stage or what differences that might make on what I would need to look at. I'm looking to add power and am just needing some help on what exactly I would need to purchase/replace to get some good power gains. I'm planning on doing this install myself also, and I do remember seeing a forum on here somewhere explaining the installs so if I could even get directed to the right place that would be awesome. Thanks for the time reading- Jordan. Oh btw it's an automatic, only mods currently is an SLP Loudmouth Exhaust system and an SLP air lid..
Old 03-11-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do Full Bolt-On's First before you do Heads & Cam and then go from there !
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayen22
Hey all, I'm just looking for some references as to what people are running as far as a head/cam set-up goes for a 2002 Camaro SS. My car is currently sitting at 84k miles so I'm curious if it would be worth doing at this stage or what differences that might make on what I would need to look at. I'm looking to add power and am just needing some help on what exactly I would need to purchase/replace to get some good power gains. I'm planning on doing this install myself also, and I do remember seeing a forum on here somewhere explaining the installs so if I could even get directed to the right place that would be awesome. Thanks for the time reading- Jordan. Oh btw it's an automatic, only mods currently is an SLP Loudmouth Exhaust system and an SLP air lid..
First thing I would do in order

Long tubes
Ory
Ported tb

Then I would upgrade the stock clutch and the 10 bolt. Unless you want to wait until they go. There are so many heads/cam options you have to be more specifc to what your goals are. If I were to get a heads and cam setup for a street car I would def call texas speed and find a good tuner.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Well tbh I am just looking at the best power gains for the $, I've heard it alot though that when your thinking header's/working on header's if you have the money/resources to look into a new cam at the same time that it's best to knock them out together. As far as a specific goal goes though it's power gains for sure. Thanks for the imput so far guys keep it comin! I've been referred to Texas-Speed.com asfar as parts go but still open to suggestions.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Texas Speed has a lot of great deals but check our other sponsers also on prices like Un Speed,Speed Inc Ect .I spent $2300 on my 02 Camaro SS Auto in just bolt-on's and ran 11.80 @ 114 on Nitto 555R Drag radials and even had Heads & Cam but never put them on cause i was happy w/ my times w/ just bolt-on's !
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should definatly go bolt ons first, you wont get as much $ out of heads cam with no bolt ons first. Dont put the carriage before the horse.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Makes sense so far thx fellas, it's probably bad that I have to ask, but can you guys be specific on which bolt-on's your referring to? I'm really new to this whole thing, but really want to learn. I've got about 2k to spend on parts though so j/w what you guys would do first in the bolt-on dept then if that's the approach im going to take.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cam headers and stall all at the same time
Old 03-11-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Headers,Off road y-pipe,Underdrive pully,P&P TB,Yank SS3600 Stall,Suspension,Dyno Tune ! You have a LS-6 Intake so thats fine!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jayen22
Makes sense so far thx fellas, it's probably bad that I have to ask, but can you guys be specific on which bolt-on's your referring to? I'm really new to this whole thing, but really want to learn. I've got about 2k to spend on parts though so j/w what you guys would do first in the bolt-on dept then if that's the approach im going to take.
2k is a nice budget for everything. Here is what I would do if I was you...

Headers: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3516-te...e-headers.aspx
ORY: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-293-tex...ad-y-pipe.aspx

Now after you get headers your current exhaust will sound like CRAP, so you will need a new one. I suggest Magnaflow. Most vendors should sell this so i'll leave it up to you where you want to get that... Should cost UNDER $475. Do not pay more.

Thats about 1k... plus little things like plugs/wires, motor mounts, etc. while ur in there.

The other 1k I would use to buy urself a stall. A stall wakes up an automatic like you would never believe. It will no joke shave 1/2 a sec off your 1/4 mile time. I suggest a 3600 stall from Yank or any other big name company. You might want to replace the flexplate too while ur in there.

After this u will want a tire to help you grip... and you should be pretty happy for a little while with this.