Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Intake to LS6

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile LS1 Intake to LS6

Hello,

I just have a couple of question that I need some clarification on.

My friend and I are pretty new to this but thought it would be smart to ask. We've been searching but couldn't find a direct answer to our questions.

Vehicle: 1999 Camaro SS (Auto)

1. Do I need to get a ECU programmer when changing out the current intake to a LS6 intake? and if so, which are quality brands to buy?

2. Would the MAF need to be changed during the intake swap?

Or ultimately, is the swap pretty straightforward as just a bolt on and being good to go?

-LT1
Old 07-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Launching!

1 no you dont need to get a ECU programmer when changing out. Getting a dyno tune or a street tune with HP Tuners is a good idea but again not a necessity

2 no the MAF sensor does not have to be changed during the intake swap

Just swap and go
Old 07-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Launching!

O yeah by the way welcome to Tech!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Someone correct me if im wrong but i think there is some coolant tubing that is different between the ls6 and ls1 intake and i think the ls6 intake won't have any egr stuff as your 99 ls1 one does, also to get the full effects out of that intake you would really need at least a mail order tune if not a dyno tune. You really wouldn't be able to do anything with a hand held tuner unless you have extensive knowledge with tuning a vehicle.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:43 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. No.
2. No.
"3." While people try to be budget-friendly and make their LS1 coolant tubes work, just get the LS6 coolant tubes/plugs and do the '04 LS6 PCV conversion at the same time. www.installuniversity.com helped guide me through the process.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AndersonsSS01
Someone correct me if im wrong but i think there is some coolant tubing that is different between the ls6 and ls1 intake and i think the ls6 intake won't have any egr stuff as your 99 ls1 one does, also to get the full effects out of that intake you would really need at least a mail order tune if not a dyno tune. You really wouldn't be able to do anything with a hand held tuner unless you have extensive knowledge with tuning a vehicle.
The coolant tubing is different but all he has to do is cut the fins away from under the LS6 intake or use the ls6 coolant tubes. And you are right that some ls6 intakes wont have the egr provision, but there are some out there that helps you retains the egr like the slp one
Old 07-18-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No tune is needed no mass air flow is not needed just take your egr off and see what way u want to go about coolent tubs either use yours and cut the bottom fins or just get ls6 tub
Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demonspeed
1. No.
2. No.
"3." While people try to be budget-friendly and make their LS1 coolant tubes work, just get the LS6 coolant tubes/plugs and do the '04 LS6 PCV conversion at the same time. www.installuniversity.com helped guide me through the process.
What this guy said
Old 07-19-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

idk about you guys but I like cooling my back cylinders so I kept the ls1 crossover and just knocked all the tabs off the bottom of the ls6 intake
Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
idk about you guys but I like cooling my back cylinders so I kept the ls1 crossover and just knocked all the tabs off the bottom of the ls6 intake
That tube does not cool anything. It is just to let the air out of the system. Some may argue this but it is true. Water will flow through the head fine without the tube. The only problem with cutting the fins down on the intake is it make vulnerable to cracking.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As mentioned, sand/cut off the tabs on the bottom of the LS6 intake so it fits over the existing coolant piping. It isn't too hard.

Everything that connected to the LS1 intake will connect to the LS6 intake except for the EGR pipe. You will have to delete your EGR system (unless you have the SLP version of the LS6 intake), which will pop a "Service Engine Soon" or SES code. The only way to remove the code is to tune it out, thus a mail order tune or a dyno tune would be the best route. You can run the intake without tuning out the code, if you can deal with seeing the SES light constantly on. You will need these block off plates to delete the EGR pipes from the exhaust manifolds, unless you buy headers that don't have the EGR component included (no hole to plug).

Welcome aboard!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Launching!

no way that its gonna crack unless your a moran and chissle it to deep. Its very thick plastic

Quick Reply: LS1 Intake to LS6