Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window stuck in the open position.. just need some light shed on this

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window stuck in the open position.. just need some light shed on this

Alright, so obviously i know that the window problem with these ls1 camaro's is probably the first thing everyone mentions when talking about "things to look out for" when buying an LS1. I just got mine yesterday, and even though I asked the guy about the windows, I forgot to check for myself until I was the new owner, and driving home.

So yesterday, I noticed that the passenger window would go up only 2 inches at a time, after like 5-10min breaks in between. The driver's window was down, and when I put it up, it went up at a very respectable pace. I realized quickly that the passenger's side motor is crap and I need to replace it.

HOWEVER, today, after putting my DRIVER'S SIDE window down, I went to put it back up, and literally nothing is happening. My question is, is it the motor, or could it be a bad window switch? The previous owner had a spare window switch laying around, so I plugged that in, and still nothing. Now ,either both of these are shot, or the motor is bad?

What do you guys think? The window worked acceptably yesterday, and all of a sudden, refuses to go back up I hope i'ts not some huge wiring problem.

Oh, and the radio also stopped working. As in, the display will show the time when I hit some random button, but never the radio station or anything. and there is no sound. Just like the driver's window, it was working yesterday. I hope these things aren't related to each other.

Last edited by giosoccer20; 07-28-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Launching!

okay so let me update this for you all. I parked it like 30 min ago, i'd say. so i went outside, said a quick hail mary, and pressed the window button. and....low and behold, the window went up! Also, the radio started working again magically.

what does this mean?

my lower center console gets warm..almost hot. probably a missing heat shield. could taht be causing this?
Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

try spraying some sort of lubricant into your door channels see if that helps.

your electrical problems i have no clue.

heat coming from your console would worry me. check under your car to see whats up.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
try spraying some sort of lubricant into your door channels see if that helps.

your electrical problems i have no clue.

heat coming from your console would worry me. check under your car to see whats up.
it has an slp exhaust, makes me think a heat shield is missing or something for fitment purposes. I've read that in several other places that a missing heat shield causes the heating up of the center console.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls1 cars wear out window motors I bought 4 off ebay new for 80$ shipped.not to hard to change just need to drill some holes so u can drill out the rivits
Old 07-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rickybobbyss
ls1 cars wear out window motors I bought 4 off ebay new for 80$ shipped.not to hard to change just need to drill some holes so u can drill out the rivits
nope the window motor on the driver's side is actually good. I took it out for a drive, and the driver's window worked every time I tried it.

I've read something about a resistor which is located right behind the radio, inside of a black box. To access it you have to remove the panels from underneath the steering wheel, etc etc. Anyone know about this?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

that black box is the power window relay. just remove the radio and you can see it. would still bet its a bad motor!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

in relation to the windows that stop working, and the radio going out, i actually just recently delt with that myself. underneith the passenger foot well (after you remove the glove box and trim) you need to pull out the computer that manages all the interior functions (lights radio windows ect). after you have it out, take the computer out of the black plastic box that it is contained in. check all the solder points. in the top right hand area of one side, there is a group of solder points that is in the shape of a "T". the bottom solder point sometimes gets stressed and cracks. just re-solder that point and its all good!

i delt with this problem for a while and took me forever to find answers... hope this helps!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yep...most likely its your Body Control Module (BCM) like mr93ws6 said.

If it was just your windows , i 'd say its bad window motors but radio and windows both acting up is clearly related to BCM from what I seen here.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mr93ws6
in relation to the windows that stop working, and the radio going out, i actually just recently delt with that myself. underneith the passenger foot well (after you remove the glove box and trim) you need to pull out the computer that manages all the interior functions (lights radio windows ect). after you have it out, take the computer out of the black plastic box that it is contained in. check all the solder points. in the top right hand area of one side, there is a group of solder points that is in the shape of a "T". the bottom solder point sometimes gets stressed and cracks. just re-solder that point and its all good!

i delt with this problem for a while and took me forever to find answers... hope this helps!
Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
yep...most likely its your Body Control Module (BCM) like mr93ws6 said.

If it was just your windows , i 'd say its bad window motors but radio and windows both acting up is clearly related to BCM from what I seen here.
Awesome info guys! to be honest, that problem hasn't occurred since that one time. Actually, it did, but I just turned the ignition off, then back on, and it went back to functioning. I think I'll leave it for now, since it hasn't caused me any further problems.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by giosoccer20
my lower center console gets warm..almost hot. probably a missing heat shield. could taht be causing this?
I get this in my car too. I've been under it too many times to count and everything looks good, so I just shrugged it off as transmission heat.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Josh18Fan
I get this in my car too. I've been under it too many times to count and everything looks good, so I just shrugged it off as transmission heat.
yeah I don't really care about it anymore. Here's how I am towards my cars. As long as they are mechanically good, I am VERY tolerant of small inconveniences/problems.

If there is a mechanical problem + other nuisances, I can't stand the car and have to have it fixed immediately
Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Launching!

oh, and, does the fact that the buttons on the radio not lighting up have to do with anything? I'm seriously considering just getting an aftermarket head unit installed anyways. Hopefully everything is fine back there to allow me to do so...
Old 08-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

i wouldnt just leave it alone if i were you, believe me, it gets worse... (in my case it did). it only happened once in a while, then more frequently, then always... in fact, it decided to completely quit on me at work while my window was completely down, and it was supposed to rain for the next 2 days. i had to buy a tarp and have my car sit in the parking lot under it for the next 2 days haha my advise, dont wait!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mr93ws6
i wouldnt just leave it alone if i were you, believe me, it gets worse... (in my case it did). it only happened once in a while, then more frequently, then always... in fact, it decided to completely quit on me at work while my window was completely down, and it was supposed to rain for the next 2 days. i had to buy a tarp and have my car sit in the parking lot under it for the next 2 days haha my advise, dont wait!
oh jesus haha that is awful! I guess I will be looking into it then when I get a chance. And every time before I open the window, i'll think long and hard if I REALLY do need to open it or now...lol. That's a slight exaggeration, but my god I hate paranoia
Old 08-04-2013, 04:14 AM

While I didn't have the exact same issue as you articulate, over the past two weeks I've found a great deal of helpful information relative to regulator and window motor replacement on LS1. There are a great deal of subject matter experts who have posted good info on this site, just takes time to find it and digest it all. Spent (an ungodly number of hours) the last two weekends first, replacing a window motor (drilling out the rivets and replacing just the motor) and second, when that didn't resolve my issue, replacing the regulator (a very painful afternoon.) In the end, the issue was resolved as three teeth on the window regulator gear were chipped\worn down. Some would disagree but as for me, in the future I will replace the regulator+motor rather than just the motor. Although more expensive to do it that way, I believe after my experience, it is actually easier to replace the regulator+motor versus drilling out rivets and replacing the motor only. In the end, thanks to all those who posted info regarding the regulator\motor replacement procedure. A thread which I found particular helpful is this one. https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-write-up.html
Good luck. I own three 02's and don't look forward to dealing with the window regulator and motor issue...but will time and time again given the design of.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Launching!

thanks for the info!! I hope I won't need to align it. The alignment looks fine now, just takes a long time to put the passenger window up

Quick Reply: window stuck in the open position.. just need some light shed on this