New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a low mile 99 Z, what should I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a low mile 99 Z, what should I replace?

Well I bumped into a bad *** original owner and well documented 99 Z28. Car still smells new, the undercarriage looks incredibly clean, and it
has all original parts on it....down to the tires and belts, brakes, etc.
The guy was an older retired gentleman in his mid 60s who only put a few hundred miles a month to keep the seals wet and from drying out. So no problems there. But as far as tires, brakes, and belts, what else should I be looking at replacing? It's an auto with a little over 28k on it. Valvoline synthetic all its life.
Shocks? Struts?
I ask about those because it actually feels and rides very smooth to me.
Thanks! Pictures soon
Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I would get new tires because they probably are dry rotted after 15 years. It wouldn't hurt to change the fluids and check the belts for cracks. Sounds like a great car with low miles. Enjoy!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it feels good leave it alone. Get new tires though, if anything is gonna go that will be the 1st.

My suggestions are in my siggy...
Old 02-20-2014, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,796 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No need to worry about shocks and brakes if they feel fine, unless you just want to upgrade the shocks for better than stock performance. Fluids/tires/belts would be the main order of business IMO. Even the hoses are probably OK (mine are still original on my low mile '98, and they are not cracked/dried/shrunk/spongey/etc., but I do keep them treated with 303).

Belts are simple to change, and see a lot of stress, so you might as well just do them. Z-rated tires can remain serviceable for a pretty long time when stored indoors, but with nearly 30k miles (plus all those years) I would replace them at this point.

Again, brakes shouldn't be worried about unless there is something wrong with them. Brake fluid is a different story though, if you have the urge it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the fluid. FWIW, my '98 still has the original rotors and pads with only 16k on them....and they have a ton of life left. The slide pins could stand to be re-greased though, yours might be the same.

I would definitely do a coolant flush. Maybe twice.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the suggestions guys. So as soon as I get her legalized tomorrow morning, the first thing to replace will be the tires and the belts. I just checked the motor oil and it looks and smells fine to me. But if you all still think it should be changed, I will.
I also noticed a real slight sag in the back rear by the tire on the passenger side...im guessing a sagging spring or a strut?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

just replace what it needs and start saving for mods.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mindcrime1204
Thanks for the suggestions guys. So as soon as I get her legalized tomorrow morning, the first thing to replace will be the tires and the belts. I just checked the motor oil and it looks and smells fine to me. But if you all still think it should be changed, I will.
I also noticed a real slight sag in the back rear by the tire on the passenger side...im guessing a sagging spring or a strut?
no that "sag" is normal, im pretty sure when the driver gets in it looks normal again, i know mine looks like that
Old 02-21-2014, 12:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,796 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mindcrime1204
As mentioned above, many of these cars don't sit completely level, most seem to be off by 0.25-0.75" from one side to the other (this has been my experience with the four that I have owned, two of them brand new even). It's always been lower on the passenger side rear on mine as well.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll "second" the suggestions here: belts, fluids, and maybe tires (if you notice any cracking or dry rot). I'd also suggest inspecting the air filter, changing the fuel filter, and changing the PCV valve. If it has the power steering cooler, then I'd also remove that and simply replace with a upper hose from a non-PSC car.

Quick Reply: Just bought a low mile 99 Z, what should I replace?