New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

124.000 Miles is high to buy 1998 c5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 124.000 Miles is high to buy 1998 c5?

Hello everyone.

I am really happy to join you.

I tried several of new turbo cars with small motors but i didnt satisfied at all.

I need to hear that rare v8 sound on my foot. so i decided to buy corvette c5.

I found a 124k miles 1998 corvette c5.But i am afraid because of 124k miles are very serious number for old sport car.If i buy this,there will be a problem in next times ?.Whats your miles on your own c5?.And any problem ?

And after buy this, i wanna make aps twin turbo kit, or supercharger;which one is better for c 5 ? and 124k miles are ok for these kits?
Sorry for my bad english

here is the link.seller is the biggest car firm on country.I dont think so they can sell dead car though.Waiting for your comments

http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/vasit...87792267/detay
Old 12-17-2014, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm at 219,000 on my 2000 ls1. I can't say that it runs any different than it did with 50k when I got it. My car is naturally aspirated so I can't speak to the forced induction part of your question. I can say that my car has made it to its current mileage with relative ease and regular maintenance, and it doesn't show any signs of stopping. Still runs about 60psi of oil pressure and never goes below 40. I don't baby it either; it often sees 6,000+ RPM. I plan on installing a set of heads and cam on this motor in the near future.

For what it's worth - the original fuel pump went out without warning at 215k and marked the first time that the car let me down. The starter slowly went out over the course of a week at 213k (I'm pretty sure that I got every last start out of it, but it didn't leave me stranded). But anyway.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

with that mileage id tear everything down and go from there.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It depends on how it got the 124K miles. If it is mainly highway and the car has had all scheduled maintenance, and the test drive goes well, I don't see any issue. These engines hold up for quite awhile, and parts are pretty cheap. If the car is in overall good shape and the test drive doesn't raise any concerns, I'd say go for it.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:37 PM

124k is nothing to be scared of with these cars. When I sold my 2000 SS, it had 151k on the stock bottom end with heads, cam etc and ran like a charm. A few guys on this board are well beyond that in mileage. As long as its been properly maintained it should run fine.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

my highest mile 4th gen has 243,000 on , it cracked 11's stock internals way back when it was still low miles 215,000 lol

I get a kick out of people that think 124k is high miles especially on a car with 17 years under its belt -only 7,000 miles a year....
Old 12-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Teching In

124k is not too bad man although many may disagree
Old 12-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Youll be fine man. These engines if taken care of properly last forever. Before you buy though get at least a compression test done just to be 100% sure. My 2000 z28 has 138k miles and pulls really hard and im planning on getting a cam for it soon
Old 12-27-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

All depends on how it was taken care of...124k isn't a lot on a properly maintained car,
Old 12-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by transvette
Hello everyone.

I am really happy to join you.

I tried several of new turbo cars with small motors but i didnt satisfied at all.

I need to hear that rare v8 sound on my foot. so i decided to buy corvette c5.

I found a 124k miles 1998 corvette c5.But i am afraid because of 124k miles are very serious number for old sport car.If i buy this,there will be a problem in next times ?.Whats your miles on your own c5?.And any problem ?

And after buy this, i wanna make aps twin turbo kit, or supercharger;which one is better for c 5 ? and 124k miles are ok for these kits?
Sorry for my bad english

here is the link.seller is the biggest car firm on country.I dont think so they can sell dead car though.Waiting for your comments

http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/vasit...87792267/detay
Yes, that is a lot. Things to look for. How many owners has this car been through? Remember, most of these cars have been beaten to death. Raced hard and driven hard. How is the interior? Probably not the best. I've seen very bad interiors in these C5s even at 40K. I wouldn't pay more than $5K for this car and you can forget about just throwing any power adder on it and think nothing is going to go wrong. If you do buy it, expect a tear down and rebuild or stroker. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by coSPEED
Yes, that is a lot. Things to look for. How many owners has this car been through? Remember, most of these cars have been beaten to death. Raced hard and driven hard. How is the interior? Probably not the best. I've seen very bad interiors in these C5s even at 40K. I wouldn't pay more than $5K for this car and you can forget about just throwing any power adder on it and think nothing is going to go wrong. If you do buy it, expect a tear down and rebuild or stroker. Good luck.
I don't see c5 people being harder on cars than f body guys half are owned by women or retired guys...

under 5k for a running driving 124k c5 ?? never heard of that unless its a wreck , been underwater etc... Ive had 6 ls engine vehicles 4 were/are z28's and none of them needed a tear down of course I have never owned one with only 124k either lol

I do agree that adding a power adder may be an issue but if its healthy not more so than a lower miles example with the same power adder.

several ls engines came out of the junkyard with 250k then got turbo builds in the conversions and hybrids section so it can be done but a leakdown test and oil anaylsis would probably give you a good idea of how much abuse the engine has seen or how much life is left in it.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:03 AM
Staging Lane

Shoot man you find me a running/driving c5 with 120k for $5k or under let me know!! I'll buy it on the spot!

As far as the original post about the miles, I wouldn't worry about the miles as long as the maintenance is kept up and the price was right. Then drive it like you stole it until you blow it or get ready to build it and slap a bada$$ blower or turbo kit on it!

Last edited by smokenssz; 12-28-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by murphinator
I don't see c5 people being harder on cars than f body guys half are owned by women or retired guys...

under 5k for a running driving 124k c5 ?? never heard of that unless its a wreck , been underwater etc... Ive had 6 ls engine vehicles 4 were/are z28's and none of them needed a tear down of course I have never owned one with only 124k either lol

I do agree that adding a power adder may be an issue but if its healthy not more so than a lower miles example with the same power adder.

several ls engines came out of the junkyard with 250k then got turbo builds in the conversions and hybrids section so it can be done but a leakdown test and oil anaylsis would probably give you a good idea of how much abuse the engine has seen or how much life is left in it.
Originally Posted by smokenssz
Shoot man you find me a running/driving c5 with 120k for $5k or under let me know!! I'll buy it on the spot!

As far as the original post about the miles, I wouldn't worry about the miles as long as the maintenance is kept up and the price was right. Then drive it like you stole it until you blow it or get ready to build it and slap a bada$$ blower or turbo kit on it!
You guys are not reading what I am saying. What I said was I WOULD NEVER PAY MORE THAN 5K for a 124K mile C5. Find me a C5 with 124K miles in great condition. I mean engine wise and interior and exterior wise. You won't. Expect a paint job along with other things. Corvette owners and dealers always want WAY MORE than what their Corvette is worth because they think because it's a Corvette.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

You guys are not reading what I am saying. What I said was I WOULD NEVER PAY MORE THAN 5K for a 124K mile C5. Find me a C5 with 124K miles in great condition. I mean engine wise and interior and exterior wise. You won't. Expect a paint job along with other things. Corvette owners and dealers always want WAY MORE than what their Corvette is worth because they think because it's a Corvette.

I don't disagree that where a lot of people that think their car is worth way more than it is. However to categorize all 124k c5 vettes as a 5k car is false as well.

3min search
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4799693942.html

A 5k vette will definitely come with the problems you mentioned and more. I understand what you are saying and I'm saying you'll never get a decent vette for 5k.

Last edited by smokenssz; 01-11-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Several people with well over 200k and a few with over 300k miles with no issues. Look the car over well, check fluids, seat wear, tire wear etc. this can tell you a lot about how a car was driven and or maintained. If something does break they aren't super expensive to repair provided it's a engine or trans issue. Good luck, and enjoy.

Quick Reply: 124.000 Miles is high to buy 1998 c5?