Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kinda cam???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kinda cam???

Hi Everyboby I'm fixin to get a stage III Heads and cam package on my 02 Trans Am WS6. Their including a timing chain, pushrods, springs, long tube headers, Y-pipe, exaust, the whole nine yards. I can select my cam but don't know quite enough about it to make my selection. One guy was telling me about the lobes being "too far apart" will make it stall at red lights. I want as much power as possible for the major chunk of change I'm putting out but I do still want it to be streetable. It's still going to be my daily driver. Any input on the cam? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by IflyUbye; 05-31-2004 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-31-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are alot of cams out there. You can read about cams in general first to get an idea of what the specs mean ie lift,duration, LSA, etc. I have been reading up for a while on this site about the different cams that people have used and what success stories they have had.

Im looking for a cam for my stock heads so I may be way off here but StageIII heads are going to want to breath ALOT so a larger cam is probably in order in your case. I would look into tr231/237 , G5X3 or F13 just to get started. 112 + 4 or 114 + 2 shoudl keep your drivability.

Cheers.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shaneSS
There are alot of cams out there. You can read about cams in general first to get an idea of what the specs mean ie lift,duration, LSA, etc. I have been reading up for a while on this site about the different cams that people have used and what success stories they have had.

Im looking for a cam for my stock heads so I may be way off here but StageIII heads are going to want to breath ALOT so a larger cam is probably in order in your case. I would look into tr231/237 , G5X3 or F13 just to get started. 112 + 4 or 114 + 2 shoudl keep your drivability.

Cheers.
Am I correct in assuming that I will lose horsepower in exchange for drivability?
Old 05-31-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well the lower your LSA # the more lope you will have at idle and hence the worse drivability will be. A few ways to help this out are to either have some advance built into the cam ie +4 etc and/or just raise your idle so tha tthe car isnt surging and stalling at idle. I however dont want to be at a light idleing at 1200 rpm's so I am going to go with a 114 LSA with +2 built in. I have seen dyno graphs where a 114 +2 cam can hit 400 rwhp on stock heads with proper tunning so thats going to be enough for me for now.

I am by no means a cam expert so Im sure some experianced guys will chime in here soon but like I said, do a search on here and get a good idea about the specs and what they mean and how they affect your power band and drivability.

good luck.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out the internal section for cam selection...my 231/237 .598/.595 112+2 cam has never stalled at a light and idles at 900 in an auto w/ 2.73 gears...the only sucky part about this big of a cam with an auto is that when the converter locks up w/ my gearing it falls to an rpm range where i get some surging or bucking and you have to get on the gas alittle to get the rpms up a bit more...other than that I love the cam...the lsa # not only helps determine driveability but emissions pass or fail as well so if you have emissions go with something on a 114 if you dont or just dont care then a 112 should be fine for manual or auto and will sound badass. FWIW bigger cams arent always what you want though a decent 224/225ish cam will do a decent all around job and std duration cams usually make a bit more tq than traditional splits like mine. Personally I think if i were to do it again I'd probably go with something smaller just to see what kinda tq #'s id produce with like a tsp 225 114+2 cam.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:07 PM
Teching In

We have no emissions test or State Inspection in my county anymore. In fact, The shop is removing my cats too. They tell me I will be looking at about 460 rwhp when their through. I'm looking at the cam section you mentioned now. I just want to approach the shop a little bit edumicated when I talk to them about the cam. Thanks for your help. All that horsepower is making me a little nervous. This is my first muscle car.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:21 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

spec your cam to the flow of your heads , dont just throw parts together.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL for my 100th post, I'll just say when it come to cams, listen to jrp! He's helped me out seems like a thousand times already.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:16 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
LOL for my 100th post, I'll just say when it come to cams, listen to jrp! He's helped me out seems like a thousand times already.
i thought i was the non-tech search **** , or thats how some would make it out to be.