New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust, tune, intake, setups

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust, tune, intake, setups

So in may I bought a 2000 TA ws6. Bone stock all original 58k miles. It has a nice borla muffler that sound ok but not loud at all. Advice on stainless steel lt headers, high flow cats, performance mufflers, and places to get a tune done in ND/MN would be great. Even some sound clips if possible! Car is obviously a factory ram air car and I'm wondering if an after market cold air intake would do it any good over the ram air. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

For a good priced and quality exhaust I'd check Texas Speed and Speed Engineering
Old 08-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to summitracing.com and get yourself some pacesetter long tube headers their cheapest but still good headers. Then pacesetter off road y pipe your car should sound better and louder after that you can get both for less then 500$ you'll need it tuned after though and also you need some 02sensors
Old 08-10-2016, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally wouldn't go with the pacesetters unless you weren't planning on keeping them a long time. I would go with what HCI2000SS suggested. I had the texas speed 1 7/8" and the tsp ory pipe and thought they were very nice for the price (around $560 for both) and they are stainless too. I think Speed Engineering are even cheaper?

I don't have any sound clips of it with the stock cam, but I have cammed clips of the texas speed headers/ory pipe and I have Borla exhaust too. I don't think it will give you a close match though to how yours will sound.

As far as your ram air goes, I would at least get an aftermarket lid because it has been documented that they pick up 8-10rwhp just by swapping to one. Don't over think it, a lid is a lid so a slp lid will be just as good as any other until you start getting big into your mods.

If you're wanting to change the ram air setup (It will still use an aftermarket lid), then look into either SSRA (Super Sucker Ram Air) http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=4700 or Chris1313 http://www.speedinc.com/shop-by-manu...3-ram-air.html They are both proven to pickup et and mph in the 1/4.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ws6 TA.2000
So in may I bought a 2000 TA ws6. Bone stock all original 58k miles. It has a nice borla muffler that sound ok but not loud at all. Advice on stainless steel lt headers, high flow cats, performance mufflers, and places to get a tune done in ND/MN would be great. Even some sound clips if possible! Car is obviously a factory ram air car and I'm wondering if an after market cold air intake would do it any good over the ram air. Thanks in advance!
OP take it from ppl who have owned these cars for awhile and done the research already lol,

exhaust- for bang for your buck go with TSP 1 7/8 stainless headers and 3" ORY, cant beat the price and will get max flow and power. Catback is dealers choice really, depends on what you want but go to LS1sounds.com and you will get a good idea of what these cars sound like with different setups. IMO if you don't live in SMOG controlled areas go catless.

for the WS6 cars don't bother with CAI, go to ws6store and look at either the JAAM kit or the SSRA. JAAM turns your hood into a functional ram air hood and SSRA instead draws in air from the high pressure zone underneath your car. Power wise they are literally the same and perform the same it will just depend on where you want it to draw from really. Some ws6 people get SSRA and leave the ram air hood to cool the engine bay since it would no longer feed the air box.

also if you haven't already, buy a lid and an ls6 intake. Nuff said.

check the thread below has basically all the starter info you need, but the thread is old and more products and info is available
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html

Last edited by usnfenix; 08-10-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ARH makes some bad *** LTs. worth the price imo.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How good is that JAAM? Is it just something you bolt in, or do you need a dremel and stuff?
Old 08-12-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
How good is that JAAM? Is it just something you bolt in, or do you need a dremel and stuff?
all JAAM does is remove the baffle in the stock ws6 hood that is directly behind the nostrils and provide foam pieces that seal the airbox to the hood assembly, and provides a block off plate for the lower section that cleans up the look of the install.

I myself have never run JAAM but am about to in this ws6, my previous cars have run SSRA and I will swear by it that it works, you will never see it on a dyno but it is one of a small list of bolt ons that you can feel a result in.

JAAM and SSRA do the same in theory and others have reported no issues with rain with either
Old 08-17-2016, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

A lot of good headers out there...Price ranges vary greatly. Pricey ARH,Kooks right down to Ebay, Pacesetter, or Speed engineering. All work well. Ran Stainless Ebay LTs(which were Kooks ripoffs) on a old C5. Fit was perfect and they held up great.

Quick Reply: Exhaust, tune, intake, setups