Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a good book on LS engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good book on LS engines

I was a pushrod Ford person for along time. I have just started messing around with LS cars. Is there any one book that stands out as far as interchanging parts, best mods, best heads, and so on? I have a 2000 Z28 auto with low miles I am working with. I did the usual converter, gears, lid, cat. back, drag radials, and it runs low to mid 12's. Headers look like a bit of a PIA, but I have read LS cars respond well to them, so they will likely be next. Also on F bodies are subframe connectors necessary? Will the rear lower control arms damage their mounting area with-out them?
Old 02-09-2017, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a good one I picked up a few years ago... http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOW-TO-BUILD...wAAOSwbdpWZB0z

Headers are good to unlock some power on the F-bodys but you'll need to do the entire system to see the full effect. The stock cat back is a restriction too. Sub frames are a must on my list as well, the car is alot stiffer since welding them in. You don't damage the lower control arm mounts with out sub frames you twist the body of the car and the rear quarter panels will pinch and bulge.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of sub frame's. To work they half to be heavy. Though I do have a set in the garage and there waiting on a nitrous system and slicks. I have had no issues without them and using stock lca's and bushings that I'm keeping an eye on @ 1.6 60 ft and nitto 315r's. They only hook up in one run out of 5 at the track that's closest to me. Going to NT05's.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
This is a good one I picked up a few years ago... http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOW-TO-BUILD...wAAOSwbdpWZB0z
I picked up that book but would be hard pressed to recommend it. Everything in it and much more is available on this forum with some searching. It is also a little dated, covers LS1 and LS6 only.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That book was also written by a magazine writer, not an actual engine builder. You've all been duped.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Headers are good to unlock some power on the F-bodys but you'll need to do the entire system to see the full effect. The stock cat back is a restriction too.
Headers and exhaust will unlock power on every car, even a Prius.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
That book was also written by a magazine writer, not an actual engine builder. You've all been duped.
So all the facts in that book is wrong because a writer wrote it ???

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
Headers and exhaust will unlock power on every car, even a Prius.
Whats your point ?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just ordered that book.To me any extra knowledge I can get is worth 20 bucks. I've just entered the LS world so......
Old 02-10-2017, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
I just ordered that book.To me any extra knowledge I can get is worth 20 bucks. I've just entered the LS world so......
Its not the end all be all book LS book. Its gives you a lot of general GM knowledge, casting #'s and some interchangeably between the truck parts and car parts.

If some of the haters are so black and white to think I'm recommending this as the LS bible... Good for you guys.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Its not the end all be all book LS book. Its gives you a lot of general GM knowledge, casting #'s and some interchangeably between the truck parts and car parts.
I didn't mean to suggest that the book is worthless, only that I've found this forum to be a better overall resource. Just my point of view as another guy new to the LS world.

Quick Reply: What is a good book on LS engines